Dry Nose Issue On Jungle Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

floweringqueen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Help with what is going on with my girl's nose! She did have a small nose injury, like an abrasion, 2 sheds ago and since then, the scales on top of the nose tip change texture as she progresses in her cycle, getting worst just before shedding, then it clears with the shed.

I am concerned now because it is spreading.

There's light protectors, there's fabric over the metal air vents... She seems healthy otherwise.
I don't think it's too wet or too humid.

I clean the enclosure with a solution of white vinegar and tiny amount of bleach sprayed and then left open with a fan for hours. Is it possible it's a reaction to the bleach?

drynose.2.jpg

drynose.1.jpg

Its just abrasion from rubbing her nose on something in the enclosure. Once you find and remove the item or change the behavior the problem will go away.

Abrasion...mmm could be coming from the walls which are rendered cement to be as close to realistic rock, but why would she be rubbing against it unless it's itchy? she's 3yrs old so not a baby.

it looks more fungal to me, with my human eye. Can snakes get fungal infections?

Looks like an abrasion from trying to access a narrow gap somewhere in the enclosure. Is this a possibility?

Jamie
Thankyou Jamie. Yes the sliding glass doors have a little gap, not meeting the wood properly, and at times she is trying to inch it open when she's really active. How could abrasion come from smooth glass?

Mmmmmmm, well yes they can get fungal infections but just ask yourself if that surface is rough to the touch to you.
I think you now know what the cause is.

Mmmmmmm, well yes they can get fungal infections but just ask yourself if that surface is rough to the touch to you.
I think you now know what the cause is.

I'm not convinced this is only abrasion, due to the way it has been slowly spreading over the past 4months. It almost looks like the scales are dissolving..?
Also, the symptoms started before she had learnt to open the glass, or before I noticed that behaviour (I watch her alot, she's in my main living space)
Should i ask members about fungal infections in a new thread?

Last edited:
My girls nose looked exactly like this after she had spent to much time digging and rubbing around her tank... I didn't realise she was gravid and she was looking for the best spot to lay
It defs looks like rubbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floweringqueen, you've been given good and accurate advice by some of the most knowledgeable members on here.
How long has your python been in the tank? And has anything been changed in the tank?
Some snakes are always looking around their tanks, and they can damage their noses on the smallest things, either through constant abrasion, or if it is slightly rough.

Thankyou Kittykat, your input is appreciated alot! she was roaming absolutely everywhere for a few days, including alot under the grass mat and that makes more sense as the cause of the abrasion.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated.
thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back