Dwalf bearded dragon Help Plz

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marzzy

Reaction score
Hello

Recently I got 2 Dwalf bearded dragons I got them freighted from Victoria to NSW.

Ive been abit worried since they got here, I have a few questions to ask all input it welcome.

1. How hot does the enclosure basking spot have to be ?
2. What type/ colour do you use for the basking spot ?
3. What food is best to give them at 2-3weeks old ? ( Crickets (pinheads)

4. Do you drop the temp at night ? What temp ?
5. Is UVB 10.0 Ok Coils I know are bad I will be replacing it asap
6. How much should they eat ?
7.What do they eat at a young age ? I've tried lots but trying others is good. I've tried carrot cooked and raw purée. They love crickets not sure if there diet should be all crickets though. ? Have been using calcium powder.

I am using a 3ft fish tank 2 lights UVB Coil and infrared Red heat bulb. Got hides water dish and rock with drift wood.

Thanks
Marzzy

Hello

Recently I got 2 Dwalf bearded dragons I got them freighted from Victoria to NSW.

Ive been abit worried since they got here, I have a few questions to ask all input it welcome.

1. How hot does the enclosure basking spot have to be ?

35-40

2. What type/ colour do you use for the basking spot ?

White

3. What food is best to give them at 2-3weeks old ? ( Crickets (pinheads)

Small crickets

4. Do you drop the temp at night ? What temp ?

Yes nothing below 20

5. Is UVB 10.0 Ok Coils I know are bad I will be replacing it asap

Tubes are better coils can cause eye problems

6. How much should they eat ?

A lot

7.What do they eat at a young age ? I've tried lots but trying others is good. I've tried carrot cooked and raw purée. They love crickets not sure if there diet should be all crickets though. ? Have been using calcium powder.

80% insects 20% veg Butternut pumkin, bok choy, is better than carrots

I am using a 3ft fish tank 2 lights UVB Coil and infrared Red heat bulb. Got hides water dish and rock with drift wood.

Thanks
Marzzy

"Dwarf bearded dragon" as in Pagona minor minor or Pagona henrylawsonii?

Better not let the breeder see this, she will be very upset. Did you not research anything before buying them. Basking spot should be close to 40, colour: white light, pinheads, heat off at night unless your house gets cold, UVB 10, nothing wrong with coils if they are a reputable brand and used correctly, about a 5 cent piece size serving, not cooked veges, mine from the same clutch are happily munching on veges processed very finely in a food processor every few days, things like bok choy, brocolli, carrot, small amounts of fruit, nothing too big or hard, nasturtium, clover (pesticide free), not too much banana if at all at this stage, actually probably none yet. They need vitamin powder every third feed as well as the calcium powder. Fish tanks are not the best as they don't hold the heat that well with an open top, especially one that large. Do you have a thermometer, thermostat etc. Vary their insects if you can find other things small enough, no mealies at this age and only sparingly later.

"Dwarf bearded dragon" as in Pagona minor minor or Pagona henrylawsonii?

Pagona henrylawsonii

Last edited:

Im just getting a few opionions on everyone else's setups to see what everyone's got.

I am serving them crickets pinheads
my basking spot is 35degrees
I'm freshly making them Carrot Purée dots of purée on there dinner thing.
My thermostat is a habistat Dimmer
I have vitamin powder
And calcium powder

I need to get a White Basking Globe.
And try butternut pumpkin ( have one growing in the backyard)

I did research me and my partner are just worried about them. You get so many different people telling you different things.

I had a UVB 10.0 Globe the dude in the pet shop said no 5.0 but I took it back and got the 10.

Im not here to get flammed apon I was just doing some further research. As I have so many different recommendations.

Fair enough, sorry if I came off a bit narky, I just know how much of a grilling I got when I bought mine. Definitely UVB 10 for desert/arid species. Don't worry about them as long as they are eating and alert. Maybe up your basking temps a little and monitor the temperature in your tank to make sure it isn't loosing too much heat. You may want to put in a foam background for insulation.

Fair enough, sorry if I came off a bit narky, I just know how much of a grilling I got when I bought mine. Definitely UVB 10 for desert/arid species. Don't worry about them as long as they are eating and alert. Maybe up your basking temps a little and monitor the temperature in your tank to make sure it isn't loosing too much heat. You may want to put in a foam background for insulation.

Cheers = D
I know to research everything thoroughly, been around this site for awhile now learn tht fast. We're both Just freaking out I guess. I have a backboard for the tank to start foaming it but I'm not sure If it going to make the tank to narrow. Once it's grouted painted sealed. They watch you like hawks specially the one that's in better shape I'm just worried about the other one it's always down the cool end and it's thinner and the leg joints it's really skinny compared the other.

Its gonna be fine feed feed feed plus lots of calcium .

The UVB Tube is Exo Terra ? Bad ?
Whats a good light brand ?

Local petshop don't have much. ( only got white basking globes in today ) Didn't have them before.

If this is luke then I'm pretty sure I've answered all these questions for you a couple of times.. But if you want to get other opinions feel free.. The reason I give the information I do is because I do my research and kinda know what I'm tlkn bout unlike some other ppl on here that will just give you info that may or may not be correct based on what they've heard.. I had no problems with what I've been doing..if anything I was doing was wrong they would not be healthy and ppl wouldn't buy off me..however in saying that I'm sure there could be a few things I can improve on and a different opinion dosent always hurt.. I don't expect everyone to do everything exactly the way I did and there are a few different ways of doing things..as long as your not doing or feeding any thing you really shouldn't then I'm sure they will be fine.. I'm not going to repeat the information I've given again but pretty much what Elaine said is good.. Except in a tank that size you really only need one basking light..no need for infrared unless you want more hear which I don't think is necessary.. About 35 is good.. You don't need it to get to 40 and mine and the babies I have left dot like it over 36-38 degrees..but again that's me and what I do.. Everyones dragons are different and everyone will give you a different opinion so yeh..good luck

Actually, Sof is correct about the lower basking temp, my basking spot sits on about 37 and they love it so yeah, not as high as 40. The really hot day we had the other day I turned it off as they were not happy but generally it sits around 37. Should have also said, white light instead of IR not as well as.

I know it's very stressful when you get babies and esp with reptiles there can be soo many different opinions and solutions on there most basic needs.. But once you get the basic stuff and see what works for you and get into a rythym ull get the hang of it and not worry as much... everything your doing seems to be fine.. Except with the smaller one like I said if it could be seperated to eat more..however if it's started eating well with the other one there that's good news.. I know because it's skinnier it may seem somethings wrong with it but it's hard to explain..they are all very different..if it dosent always go right up to the heat dosent necessarily mean something is wrong..there not all the same..some go up to the heat and are really crazy n hypo..others just heat up abit which they can get from the bottom of the tank given
the heat your providing...Also cold dragons won't eat so if it isn't or wasn't getting any heat it would not be eating,so if it's eating and drinking and moving around regularly it's fine... If it's not eating,not
moving,not getting heat or drinking and looks lethargic then somethings wrong.. But it was regular and normal when I had it..only thing it is a little skinnier than the other as it was hving trouble feeding which you know..but you got it eating so by the sounds of it that is the Main thing so just give it sometime to bulk up and grow abit ..it will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back