Earth Hour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LullabyLizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey :)

Earth Hour tonight! Its time to switch off the lights, turn off the TV and *gasp* get off APS!!!!!!

8.30pm - 9.30pm

Who's going to do it? :)

Rosabella.

Nope, I won't be doing it, cause I'm not sitting alone in the dark for an hour with nothing to do.

We might. If we remember this time. Will have to leave reps and fish on though.

Well i'm having a bon fire tonight so i guess i can do it... Not that it will make any difference out here. We run off diesel gens that run wether we're using power or not.

I'll be doing it :D I've had the reptile lights turned off for today .

Now here's a concept for the younger generation:

For the 2010 fiscal year, the president's base budget of the Department of Defense rose to $533.8 billion. (Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

That's fairly substantial you'd say - and perhaps even justified.

Or $16.143 billion spending on NASA (The Space Review: Putting NASA’s budget in perspective)

Even if you half that you'd find that the investment into renewable energy, technologies etc is well below that of getting another man on the moon (which is pretty cool, but totally off this planet!)

We'd sooner kill our enemies and let our planet starve than to feed the billions with renewable, cheap and clean energies that don't pollute!

We can't even make our planet a good home and we're trying to find others to live on?

This budget (US) is crazy....

Though - this article presents some hope (below):

The US renewable energy industry received a major boost yesterday as the release of new budget proposals from both the Department of Energy (DOE) and the Department of Interior (DOI) confirmed that billions of dollars of new investment will flow into the sector next year.

Presenting the DOE's $26.4bn budget for fiscal year 2010, energy secretary Steven Chu said the new spending programme reflected President Obama's "commitment to ending our dependence on foreign oil, restoring our scientific leadership and putting Americans back to work through investments in a new green energy economy".

US budget proposals spell fresh funding for renewables industry - 08 May 2009 - BusinessGreen.com

Here's hoping!!!

Basically - less than 5% than that of the Military Budget will be spent on renewable energy - but it is a far better figure than 10 years ago I admit!

I'll be at the footy so my lights at home will be off (unless my wife decides that she needs some lights on, but I told her she has to sit alone in the dark haha;)).
I doubt they'll turn off the flood lights at the footy. At least, I hope they don't.

Have just been through Cyclone Ului, and lost power for 3 days I am NOT going to turn my lights off tonight, I already done my bit :p

Have just been through Cyclone Ului, and lost power for 3 days I am NOT going to turn my lights off tonight, I already done my bit :p

HAHA!! Brilliant though.

So my excuse now is - my lights and all electricity for that matter comes from Hydro Electrical Generatuon - a renewable resource that is renewing now even as I speak.

They'll have to let water out of the dam regardless if I am using it or not after the last two days of rain... It's the message that I am worried about.... And I made it pretty clear that the USA millitary should spend more money on renewable resources in my previous post - therefore I have done my bit to!

Ok I'll turn the lights off but no way am I turning the A/C off

I'm doing it, even though I'm terrified of the dark. It's just your lights, not necessarily the tv or computer, so we can have an Offical Earth Hour Procrastination Convention For People Affraid Of The Dark tonight if your a coward like me. Bare in mind I live alone and did have a ghost here once so I have authority to crap myself at my own free will.

I will be doing it for sure. My son is with his grandparents so the more dark tonight the better.lol. Might just be another of no doubt many aps babies being made tonight. Or at least trying.hahaha

Why don't all those participating in this major **** just adjust their daily demands on the environment by just a minuscule degree. It will do much more good than turning lights off for a lousy one hour period.

Perhaps some people are already doing that and this is just to participate in creating a bit more awareness for the planet, wether everyone belives in global warming as such or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back