Eastern Blueys fighting, what should I do

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rachmoo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Blue Tongues are about 3 years old now. I have had them both since they could fit in the palm of my hand and they are also housed with a Cunninhams skink in a 6x2x2ft tank. Just today my smaller bluey (I presume male but haven't had them tested), was eating when my bigger one was just going past it in the tank. The one eating jumped out of nowhere and bit into the side of my other one, the bigger one, much stronger and fatter too, didn't react and just ran away.
Then about 10 min later they were curled up together.
Then another hour later it happened again, but they went from peacefully basking next to each other to the small one biting the others head, resulting in a few scales coming off and looks a bit red (sort of bleeding) but not deep.
Again, the strong one just ran away to the other side of the tank.

I never changed the temperature so I don't think they went into brumation this year so they couldn't be breeding (could they?)
And if I was to separate them, how long should I do it for? Do you think that would be necessary or should they be okay together? The cunninghams skink has nothing to do with the fights,
he just sits and watches.

What do I do :(

Sounds like mating to me, just because they did not "brumate" does not mean they cant be breeding

Hope so! I have never bred any reptiles before, I have read that blue tongues can get quite aggressive when breeding but is there a point I should stop or separate them if it gets too much?

Any chance you post some pics up of your blueys?
Pics need to be taken from directly above to help with determining the gender of your skinks.

I'd be removing the aggressor in the mean time. Blueys are robust animals but they look kind of crap when missing tails and legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back