Eastern long neck turtle found

Discussion in 'Other Australian Reptiles and Amphibians' started by Karennallan1, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Karennallan1

Karennallan1 New Member

My teenage kids have come home with an eastern long neck turtle tonight. It was on the road and they didn't want to leave it as it is a pretty busy road. We are in Revesby in Sydney and the closest water I know of would be the Georges river but I'm not entirely sure that is where it would be from as it's probably a good 3km away from where it was found.

Any help would be appreciated, we just want to get him/her back to where they should be

Overland likes this.
  2. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Hi mate, any freshwater turtle found on a road or wandering suburbia should be released into the nearest permanent waterway within 20km of where it was found. :) ELN's have a very large distribution in your area so the George's River will be a suitable release point although it is not likely where it came from as ELN's prefer still back waters like dams, ponds and lagoons. Do you have a golf course nearby?

3. Karennallan1

Karennallan1 New Member

Thanks for the reply. There is a golf course in the area. I just had a look at Google maps and there seem to be a lot of little bodies of water around, would something like that be better? The water at the golf course is well inside the course, not sure they will let us in with a turtle.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Jan 19, 2020, Original Post Date: Jan 19, 2020 ---
    The pin is where it was found

Screenshot_20200119-074041_Maps.jpg

4. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Yes, any public park lake or something like that will be perfectly fine.