Eastern Long Neck turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are getting a baby turtle it will be a long time before you have to worry about breeding... small steps sunshine.

Dan19, you are becoming fixated.Perhaps you should just ignore willias posts. I am.

I've read that 1 care sheet so many times

Cheers,
Will

aquariam pebbles for substrate,
I feed my turtles live feedre fish and don't see the problem, they are pretty much killed in a few seconds.

Can I use that substrate for breeding?

Cheers,
Will

ok so which one are you going for pond or aquarium becuase im getting confused if your getting an aquarium then breeding even though its been done is quite impossible in a n aquarium becuase of the lack of soil and land. like i said before research the subtrate these long necksa have been using eversince they were created tto breed ina nd use that subtrate

I'm getting a pond.
And i can't find it on the internet but i just had a brain wave.

Cheers,
Will

on cloudy nights the temperatures drops to around 0degrees celcius.
in winter if i want a turtle to hibernate should i bring it inside and cool the tenclosures temp to around 16degrees celcius -18 degrees celcius?
or should i leave it outside?

if you using a pond then the substrate is there for you, the dirt around the pond. As for fish, any fresh water species are good, killed by a blow to the head.

Finally someone agrees that hitting fish over the head is a humane way to kill them!!!!!!
do they like dirt to lay eggs in?
and in winter should i bring him/her inside at night?

Finally someone agrees that hitting fish over the head is a humane way to kill them!!!!!!
do they like dirt to lay eggs in?
and in winter should i bring him/her inside at night?

i dont think anyone dissagreed, it wasn suffocation they are not keen on, nor am i. For small fish a good flick to the head does the job. With large fish just hit them on a brick. Think of what they naturally lay their eggs in, soil or sand are the usual substrates they use in the wild. Once they are breeding age you can leave outdoors year round. longicollis dont mind a bit of cold.

with long necks they pretty much kill the feeder fish with one bite to the head almost instantly. i dont see the need to kill the fish with a blow to the head, just let the turtle hunt it. if you start a breeding coloney of fish in the pond you dont have to feed them at all. Yes they lay eggs in the soil around the pond.

good point, long necks are fine with hunting their own food, i keep short necks so thats why i kill the fish for em

when breeding shouldn't i experement and see what the female likes and thinks is suable?

yeah hornet, just thought of why you do that and figured you must keep short necks, I only keep longnecks( too may ive got about 10 atm lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back