Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My wife and I have just returned from a four-day trip to Tasmania. Most of our time was spent in the Hobart area, but one day, we drove along the east coast. We visited Ben Lomond National Park and then continued as far north as the Bay-of-Fires. The weather in Tasmania is often cool so we were lucky to have good conditions on three of our four days. We were there in time for a mini heatwave and the temperature one day reached 30C, an uncommon event on this southerly island.

I spent much of my time in the foothills or the summit area of Mt. Wellington. This mountain is not far from the city centre of Hobart but the habitat is quite different and includes many montane species. Here are a couple of pics of the mountain and Hobart from earlier trips (I forgot my zoom lens on this trip so had to use a little point-and-shoot for panoramas :().
OldMar08.jpg

View of Hobart from the summit of Mt. Wellington.
OldAug08.jpg

I walked this area a couple of times. Flame Robins were common in this habitat and I often heard their song or spotted their bright vermillion breasts as they flew from one shrub to another.
habitat_MtWellington3.jpg

I enjoyed exploring this area since there were numerous bogs with many strange plants. Damp areas were surrounded by Pineapple Grass (Astelia alpina, Liliaceae), cushion plants and many members of the Australian heath family, Epacridaceae.

Cushionplants were a real feature of these moist alpine areas. These plants provide a good example of convergent evolution with members of several families including Scrophulariaceae, Lamiaceae, Donatiaceae and Epacridaceae having adopted this growth form. I could not identify the cushionplants since none were flowering at the moment. These plants all look the same superficially. Cushionplants are actually colonies of many plants that grow tightly together. This growth form is thought to be an adaptation that helps protect the plants from the snow of the Tasmanian winter. Other plants often germinate within the mound of a cushionplant so the cushion is multi-coloured and textured.
habitat_MtWellington1.jpg

habitat_MtWellington4_400.jpg
habitat_MtWellington3_400.jpg

flower_cushionplant1_400.jpg
habitat_BenLomond3_400.jpg

The above habitats were the home of the Southern Snow Skink (Niveoscincus microlepidotus). These Tasmanian endemics were common on the summit plateau of Mt. Wellington. On this trip, I found many skinks along bogs and small streams. The skinks would swim and even dive beneath the surface when disturbed. I often found them basking on exposed rocks in the streambed.
Niveoscincus_microlepidotus_1.jpg

Niveoscincus_microlepidotus_7.jpg

Niveoscincus_microlepidotus_2_400.jpg
Niveoscincus_microlepidotus_3_400.jpg

Niveoscincus_microlepidotus_4_400.jpg
Niveoscincus_microlepidotus_6_400.jpg

Talus slope along the Pinnacle Track, Mt. Wellington. There was a good density of skinks here. Someone must be doing research on these since many of the skinks had spots of paint on their backs. This habitat was also home to a number of birds including the rare Swift Parrot (2 seen), Green Rosella, Black Currawong, Yellow Wattlebird, Yellow-throated Honeyeater, Grey Shrike-thrush and Tasmanian Scrubwren.
habitat_mtWellington5.jpg

Ocellated Skink (Niveoscincus ocellatus) – These skinks were common in rocky areas. This species was another of the Tasmanian endemics. I found them from Mt. Knocklofty in Hobart to the upper slopes of Mt. Wellington.
Niveoscincus_ocellatus3.jpg

Niveoscincus_ocellatus2_400.jpg
Niveoscincus_ocellatus1_400.jpg

Niveoscincus_ocellatus4.jpg

Metallic Skink (Niveoscincus metallicus) – by far the most common skink in much of Tasmania. When seen well, their enlarged paravertebral scales are distinctive. These little skinks lived from coastal areas up to through the mountains. Metallic Skinks are also found in southeastern Australia.
Niveoscincus_metallicus7.jpg

Niveoscincus_metallicus8_400.jpg
Niveoscincus_metallicus_2_400.jpg

Niveoscincus_metallicus_4_400.jpg
Niveoscincus_metallicus_3_400.jpg

Niveoscincus_metallicus_1.jpg

(Pseudemoia entrecasteauxii) – I encountered a few in the dry grasslands of Mt. Knocklofty, a small reserve near our accommodation in Hobart. I observed a few on rocks after sunset one warm evening.
Pseudemoia_encasteauxi5.jpg

Pseudemoia_encasteauxi6_400.jpg
Pseudemoia_encasteauxi7_400.jpg

Pseudemoia_encasteauxi4_400.jpg
Pseudemoia_encasteauxi3_400.jpg

Grass Skink (Lampropholis delicata) – I saw a few of these skinks that are widespread in eastern Australia in moist areas.
Lampropholis_delicata1.jpg

White-lipped Snake (Drysdalia coronoides). I only found one of these small elapids. It reacted much like its cousin, the Mustard-bellied Snake (Drysdalia rhodogaster) that I recently posted from Wollongong. Like so many of the Aussie elapids, it was a sombrely coloured snake.
Drysdalia1.jpg

Drysdalia2400.jpg
Drysdalia5400.jpg

Drysdalia4400.jpg
Drysdalia3400.jpg

I like the cryptic colours of this flightless grasshopper.
arthro_grasshopper1.jpg

A strange “hairy” grasshopper with orange legs lived on rocks of the
talus slope near the summit. They could hop but they usually ran and would plunge into a crevice if frightened. Eventually, they would climb out and then have a look around like the one below. Green grasshoppers were numerous throughout the alpine areas.
arthro_grasshopper2a.jpg

arthro_grasshopper3_400.jpg
arthro_grasshopper5_400.jpg

These colourful spiders were active on the rocks in alpine areas. They appeared to be active hunters that were constantly on the move.
arthro_spider_mtwellington1.jpg

The fruiting caps of this moss were big, much larger than I usually see. These plants were in the alpine area of Mt. Wellington.
plant_moss1.jpg

Pineapple Candleheath (Richea dracophylla) – These big heaths were in full flower in the mid and upper slopes of Mt. Wellington. I saw many while I walked along the Pinnacle Track.
plant_pineapple1.jpg

plant_pineapple2_400.jpg
plant_pineapple3_400.jpg

Here are other spring flowers. I included identifications but there may be errors.
1 Heath (Epacris sp.), Epacridaceae.
2 Heath (Epacris sp.), Epacridaceae.
3 Forest Daisybush (Olearia lirata), Asteraceae.
4 Golden Shaggypea (Oxylobium ellipticum), Fabaceae.
flower_epacris_400.jpg
flower_heath_400.jpg

flower_mtwellington7_400.jpg
flower_mtwellington3a_400.jpg

1 Golden Bulbine-lily (Bulbine bulbosa), Liliaceae.
2 Slender Blanketleaf (Bedfordia linearis), Asteraceae. These composites grow to the size of a small tree.
3 Hibbertia, (Hibbertia sp.), Goodeniaceae.
4 Trailing Native-primrose (Goodenia lanata), Goodeniaceae.
flower_lilly_knocklofty1_400.jpg
flower_blanketleaf3_400.jpg

flower_buttercup_Lofty_400.jpg
flower_hibbertia_knocklofty1_400.jpg

1 Salmon Sun Orchid (Thelymitra rubra), Orchidaceae
2 Orchid (Thelymitra sp.), Orchidaceae
3 Orchid, Orchidaceae
4 Wax-lip Orchid (Glossodia major), Orchidaceae
5 Finger Orchid (Caladenia sp.), Orchidaceae
flower_orchid3_400.jpg
flower_orchid4_400.jpg

flower_orchid5_400.jpg
flower_orchid6_400.jpg

flower_orchid.jpg

1 Blue Daisy (Brachyscome spathulata), Asteraceae.
2 Mountain Needlebush (Hakea lissosperma), Proteaceae – abundant in the mountains and fragrant with a honey-like scent. The plant is well-named with stiff, sharply pointed leaves.
3 Dwarf Rice Flower (Pimelia humilis), Thymeliaceae.
4 Rigid Candleheath (Richea sprengiliodes), Epacridaceae.
flower_mtwellington8_400.jpg
flower_mtwellington_hakea_400.jpg

flower_pimelia_lofty_400.jpg
flower_mtwellington2_400.jpg

1 Tasmanian Waratah (Teleopia truncata), Proteaceae. Unfortunately, these stunning flowers had not yet opened. These plants were common on the upper slope of Mt. Wellington.
2 White Flag-iris (Diplarrena moraea), Iridaceae.
3 Common Pinkberry (Leptecophylla junipera), Epacridaceae.
4 Pink-bells (Tetratheca sp.), Tremandaceae.
5 Kangaroo Apple (Solanum lacinatum), Solanceae.
flower_Teleopia1_400.jpg
flower_white_flag_iris_400.jpg

plant_pinkberry1_400.jpg
flower_mtwellington1_400.jpg

plant_solanum.jpg

We spent a couple of hours at Ben Lomond National Park in central eastern Tasmania. This park protects an isolated plateau that is surrounded by rocky spires. The drive to the top was an interesting one on a narrow road up a big cliff. This portion of the road was called "Jacob's Ladder". Flame Robins were again common in the heath of the plateau.
habitat_BenLomond8.jpg

habitat_BenLomond9_400.jpg
habitat_BenLongond4a_400.jpg

habitat_BenLomond3_400.jpg
habitat_BenLomong2_400.jpg

habitat_benLomong3.jpg

habitat_BenLomongNivo1.jpg

The above habitats were home to the Northern Snow Skink (Niveoscincus greenei). Like the Southern Snow Skink, those individuals that lived along the stream seemed to be semi-aquatic and would swim from rock to rock. Others lived far from water on the talus slopes. This Tasmanian endemic was common in the alpine area of the park. This one is basking on a cushionplant.
Niveoscincus_greeni1.jpg

Niveoscincus_greeni2_400.jpg
Niveoscincus_greeni5_400.jpg

Niveoscincus_greeni4_400.jpg
Niveoscincus_greeni3_400.jpg

I also encountered a few Southern Grass Skinks (Pseudemoia entrecasteauxii) in damp areas along a trail.
Pseudemoia_encasteauxi1.jpg

I like the variety of textures visible in this macro photo of a cushion plant. Tiny leaves of sundews (Drosera sp., Droseraceae) can be seen growing from the colony.
habita_BenLomond1.jpg

plant_cushion_benlomond1.jpg

1 A few Scoparia (Richea scoparia) were flowering. The colour of the flowers varies and some were yellow, orange or reddish. From a distance, they vaguely resemble flowering lupines.
2 Scoparia (Richea scoparia), Epacridaceae
3 Alpine Cheeseberry (Planocarpa petiolaris), Epacridaceae
plant_epacrisBenLomond1.jpg

flower_epacris2_400.jpg
plant_BenLomond1_400.jpg

We travelled as far north as the Bay-of-Fires. Unfortunately, the coast was foggy so the turquoise water and white sandy beaches were not so dramatic. Some of the coastal boulders had colonies of an orange lichen.
I walked along a trail that followed the coast and encountered a Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus). Unfortunately, the snake spotted me and then hurdled off the trail before I could take a photo. It was a beautiful animal that was glossy black with yellow bands.

Blotched Blue-tongued Skinks (Tiliqua nigrolutea) must have been common in the area since I found 7 DOR. I saw one live animal but it managed to reach thick cover before I could stop the car and return for photos. I also encountered a single stripe-phase White’s Skink (Egernia whitii).
habitat_BayofFires1_400.jpg
habitat_BayofFires2_400.jpg

habitat_BayofFires3_400.jpg
habitat_BayofFires4_400.jpg

I am not certain about this lizard but think that it is a Metallic Skink (Niveoscincus metallicus) rather than the similar Tasmanian Tree Skink (N. pretiosus).
Niveoscincus_metallicus_6.jpg

Wallaby with joey at Freycinet Peninsula.
Wineglass_Wallaby1.jpg

Wineglass_Wallaby2_400.jpg
Wineglass_Wallaby3_400.jpg

Regards,
David

WOW David some stunning pictures ..am yet to venture to Tassie ...the biggest thing that is putting me off is the weather ...dont cope well in cold weather ...whats the average summer temps ?
and before anyone says like wear a jacket blah blah ...cold weather sets my asthma off really bad...

Thanks, all.

Redbelly, We had 3 days of good weather but our final day was cool (19C) with low clouds and light rain. The weather there is really unpredictable. When I was working there, I saw snow in Feb and people were wearing jumpers at the Salamanca Market.

Regards,
David

Awesome pics as usual David.
Not sure I'd want to be one of those skinks jumping into the water flowing down a Tassie alpine stream.....brrrrrr.
Those Pineapple Candleheath flowers are interesting & unusual!

Thanks, Tonksy and itbites.

It does seem strange that these lizards can tolerate cold water. The air temps are often low so it seems that the skinks would have a hard time thermoregulating, especially when wet.

Regards,
David

the most settled weather happens around January and February had 36 on the east coast 2 days ago from jan it can get in the 40,s so it does get hot but the night allways cool down , the west coast and hobart can get snow all year round cheers bazz

WOW!Thats a hole nother side of Tasy that ive never seen befor it always came across to me as that colder part of Australia but im totaly captivated by its bush land thanks heeps for sharing!!

What a fantastic collection of photos, well done. I love all those skink shots, and that white lipped snake is a ripper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back