EBay Heat Cords

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Im presently using Reptile one Cords in 2 enclosures....but im due to build a 4 stack stimi enclosure and trying to keep costs down and was wondering if anyone has got the ebay no name cords and r they efficient/any probs????......im thinking most of um r made in same factories anyway?
Ta
Pete

i have 2 running fine for 6 months or so.. I have a peak/min thermometer and its all within a few degrees running off a thermostat.

i got 1 off there only use in winter because i tub feed my snakes works great

i have one in my new BHP setup has been running 24/7 for the last month setting it up and has held a constent 36-38

i have one in my new BHP setup has been running 24/7 for the last month setting it up and has held a constent 36-38
Jeez whats cooking??...lol....hey what brand r they as i can only find 2 maybe and both look dodgy??

i have 2 running fine for 6 months or so.. I have a peak/min thermometer and its all within a few degrees running off a thermostat.
just the cheap ebay cords?...im worried as there going under sealed tiles

Last edited by a moderator:
it a hatchie bhp its not actually in there yet as i havent picked it up yet. that is the temp i was told to keep the basking spot at. its the only heated spot in the enclosure, its a 300x300 tile

I would have 10 or more going here from ebay, most have been running for 4+ years!

honestly? you're looking at total hit and miss. who knows what kind of quality they are. yours may last months, or days. if you are concerned just pay an extra few dollars a piece and get a known, well-branded, piece of equipment. it's the welfare and safety of your prized collection/pets you're talking about anyway. may as well fork out a few extra dollars initially to a local, home-owned (in my case, anyway) business and know you are getting a trusted item rather than saving a few to start with that may end up costing you more in the long run where funds only go overseas anyway. bleh, rant over. for the record, i buy the vast majority of my pet supplies from Aspley Pet Shop; staffed and run by the owner of the business who has more than their fair share of experience in all facets of animal husbandry.only ever had a problem with a faulty piece of equipment once, and it was rectified immediately no questions asked. dont bother with cheap ebay alternatives, you will pay in the long run and local businesses miss out.

They work fine, as well as eBay thermos. Been using a couple for a couple if years without incident.

honestly? you're looking at total hit and miss. who knows what kind of quality they are. yours may last months, or days. if you are concerned just pay an extra few dollars a piece and get a known, well-branded, piece of equipment. it's the welfare and safety of your prized collection/pets you're talking about anyway. may as well fork out a few extra dollars initially to a local, home-owned (in my case, anyway) business and know you are getting a trusted item rather than saving a few to start with that may end up costing you more in the long run where funds only go overseas anyway. bleh, rant over. for the record, i buy the vast majority of my pet supplies from Aspley Pet Shop; staffed and run by the owner of the business who has more than their fair share of experience in all facets of animal husbandry.only ever had a problem with a faulty piece of equipment once, and it was rectified immediately no questions asked. dont bother with cheap ebay alternatives, you will pay in the long run and local businesses miss out.
One of the site sponsors sells cheap heat cords on eBay, I've had no issues with their cheap products. A well known reptile brand I've had heaps of issues with and wouldn't trust their products if they were given to me.

i have bought a few cheap brand off ebay and they work fine, no problems been using them over 6 months with geckos.

I bought a grey coloured one off ebay (not sure of the "brand") and I have another cord I bought from herpshop. They look and work the same. Very happy with both, but if I was to buy another one I would spend a bit more and buy it from herpshop, as I would rather support a local.

I've been using my reptile one cord for 11months now that I bought off eBay, I've had it on constantly up until summer, I haven't had any problems with it all all :)

Last edited:
why pay pet shop prices i say, all made in the same chinese factory and then branded by whoever. why should i pay some pet shop owner 130 -200 percent more just so he can make coin? i used to work in a pet shop and believe me they do not care about you or your animal, just how much they can squeeze out of your wallet, it is a business after all.

why pay pet shop prices i say, all made in the same chinese factory and then branded by whoever. why should i pay some pet shop owner 130 -200 percent more just so he can make coin? i used to work in a pet shop and believe me they do not care about you or your animal, just how much they can squeeze out of your wallet, it is a business after all.
with the overheads most shops have compared to internet businesses, they normally need to mark items up more to stay afloat. Not to mention the australian importers like to make more than the shop does on each item. Ive worked retail and could get stuff cheaper of ebay/net than i could off the Aus wholesaler

My local pet shops mark up for livestock is around 500% don't even want to guess the markup on reptile supplies.

My local pet shops mark up for livestock is around 500% don't even want to guess the markup on reptile supplies.
OMG
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif

Ive been running various brand heat cords for around 10+years. They mostly look like they come from the same factory and all compluy to Australian Standards. If you are sealing one under a tiled floor then you dont have to much to worry about. I dont recommend you do it these days but we used to take the cord out of old electric blankets. The plastic coating wasn't anywhere up to the standard of todays heat cord. Test it regularly though. I have had one go live after years of stretching from being cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back