Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone have any decent pic's of Egernia frerei in particular close ups of the head showing nasal scales and head scales.
I have recently returned from a trip to the tip of Cape York where I found some unusual looking Egernia, I might have found something new!
It was my understanding that E frerei had seperate nasal scales, but these Egernia had nasals in contact. They also have a bright yellow belly like a water python with green and blue sides. also very large, close to 20 cm SVL. 38 scales at midbody. No black coloured striations on dorsal scales just a broad chocolate coloured stripe.
I also found a couple of Blackheaded pythons, northern blue-tongues (one that I measured at 600mm) also several A maculosa's, one with a jet black head and a few other species.
I'll try and get some pic's up tomorrow.
Brian

Could it have been a Carlia jarnoldae, Jewel Skink? i only said this because they have a bright yellow belly with blueish green sides. i know its not a Egernia but...

Thanks for the pic ssssnakeman,
it's definately something different.
Jimbo no it wasn't C. jarnoldae. They were about 20cm snout to vent.
I think I'll contact the Qld museum tomorrow.
Brian

Bwana,

Sounds very interesting, keep us informed in regards the museum's opinion, and please post some pic's when you get chance. Love seeing wild herp pic's.

Thanks Neil.

I was thinking of Egernia woomera ?
I don't like the thought of providing voucher specimens for the museum, Surely in this day and age you don't have to pickle the animals?
But people have to be able to check your work, otherwise you can leave yourself open to attack.
I'm not sure what I'll do!
Brian

Heres a couple of shot i just took of one of my majors.

bwana said:
I don't like the thought of providing voucher specimens for the museum, Surely in this day and age you don't have to pickle the animals?
But people have to be able to check your work, otherwise you can leave yourself open to attack.

If it is a new species, it can't be described without a holotype, and preferably a few paratypes. This is so, when someone is re-classifying the genus (or family) they have the original animal the species description came from, so they can compare it and re-name it if necessary.

If the species is endangered, it needs to be officially described before it can get formal protection.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: Egernia frerei

The holotype doesn't need to be dead. It just needs to be preserved as soon as it dies. The holotypes of several species of turtle are still alive and kicking.

Hi all,
No, not a yakka. However I think it is close to frerei except that in frerei the nasal are not in contact whereas these are. Also frerei has 32 to 36 scales at midbody, these have 38 to 40, also frerei has not expanded or enlarged caudal scales, where as these do. I sent message to Australian Museum, should recieve reply today. At the very least I am sure they need to be looked at closely, I'll be up there again Aug/Sept so I'll get more details, as I said I thought they were frerei when I was there, only after I returned and compared notes with Bob Buckley did I get the impression that they were something different. I'll keep you all informed.
Brian

I'll be up there again Aug/Sept so I'll get more details, as I said I thought they were frerei when I was there, only after I returned and compared notes with Bob Buckley did I get the impression that they were something different. I'll keep you all informed.

Look me up when you do, I'd love a trip up the cape :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back