Eggciting time of the year.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year and for some people it's all over red rover. Most species around my way seem to hatch in December/January.

Over the past couple of weeks I've had several phone call from first timers regarding incubation temps, incubation methods and whether or not to cut the eggs when they are close to time. Yes, I can still remember how exciting it was waiting for the hatching

There are many different thoughts about these 3 things and I would guess that 99% of these ideas work.

With regards to incubation temps I have hatched jungle eggs at temps ranging from 24.5C (no, not a typo) up to 32C. Admittedly not many hatched at 24.5C but at 26.5C most did.
To quote a friend from years back, "they just take longer" at lower temps.

So it doesn't really matter what temp you pick, myself I have always used 31.5C.

The incubation method I currently use is the eggs on a plastic rack over water. It works extremely and saves mucking around with vermiculite or perlite. I've used and had equal success with both methods over many years.

Whether or not to cut the eggs when they get close to the hatch date, I NEVER have. I usually wait until I see one or 2 that have pipped and then cut the rest of the eggs the next day.
The last few years I've usually just left them alone and they do the job themselves.

The only clutch that I've ever had a problem with was some year ago with a clutch of woma. The little ones developed without an egg tooth and therefor couldn't cut the egg. I lost the clutch.
That has not happened since.

Mother Nature has designed the eggs to hatch under a wide range of conditions and temps.

The attached pic is of albino darwins, the first one pipped at about 8am yesterday, I was thinking of cutting any that hadn't pipped by this evening but as you can see they have done the job for me.......

Attachments

• 4083.jpg
    4083.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 111
Mate you look like you'll have your hands full looking after all them....I'll gladly adopt one or two just to ease the burden! :)

Gratz on the hatchings.

Thanks for the thoughts. Always very valuable from someone who's been breeding as long as you have. I am hoping to get a mate for my stimmie this season and aim to breed for the first time in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back