Eggs!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N1C_11

Reaction score
So my partner and I are complete amateur snake owners, we have had our scrub python and coastal python happily living together for around 4 years all along thinking they were both males.... UNTIL this morning when we woke up and Monty (now Montana :p) is laying on about 20 or so eggs. WTF :D I don' t even know where to begin... what do we do... do we need to do anything? Please help :D

26220182_10155233069891964_8481975878802775994_n.jpg

Also don’t tell anyone... too late.

Don’t know why you’d house 2 snakes together THINKING THEY ARE BOTH MALES.

I like tuataras idea to kill the things otherwise hybrids are gonna get you a nasty fine.

the housing of snakes together in general unless breeding is ridiculous and stupid, housing two seperate species with a large size difference is plain disgusting, but that's just my 2c on the matter.

Like I said... amateur owners.... we were TOLD when we got them they were both males. Thanks for the advice.

Ok, so defintely invest in another enclosure.
100% agree with not incubating the eggs
And generally males will combat during breeding season and can often really injure the other

Lastly how did you manage to get a scrub python??? In NSWs at least you need a type 2 licence to buy them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok, so defintely invest in another enclosure.
100% agree with not incubating the eggs
And generally males will combat during breeding season and can often really injure the other

Lastly how did you manage to get a scrub python??? In NSWs at least you need a type 2 licence to buy them...

Didn’t even think about that.. something fishy going on.. gets a scrub python, supposed amateurs, keeping with other snakes that they believed were males, sudden appearance of eggs? They didn’t notice the bulges?

Didn’t even think about that.. something fishy going on.. gets a scrub python, supposed amateurs, keeping with other snakes that they believed were males, sudden appearance of eggs? They didn’t notice the bulges?
yep, 99% chance they won't respond now. :p
[doublepost=1515628303,1515628182][/doublepost]either way this person/this couple got the snakes because they were "cool" etc, they wouldn't get two snakes/a license for such snakes and do no prior knowledge for them.

I believe I've read before scrubs are on a basic licence in Qld.

Anyway,
As above it'd be the best choice to render the eggs infertile.
Hybrids may or may not be legal in your state, but selling a scrubby hybrid regardless would be very difficult.

Congratulations on the eggs, sorry about the circumstances.

Your scrub will one day dwarf your coastal so seperating them in future may be best for their safety.

Wow you guys are a friendly bunch, very receptive to people who are wanting to genuinely seek information and learn.

Thank you vampstorso, that is exactly the type of advice I came looking for.

no, we just thought that someone who'd buy multiple snakes and get a license, enclosure, etc for such animals would be able to also use google before such...

yep, 99% chance they won't respond now. :p
[doublepost=1515628303,1515628182][/doublepost]either way this person/this couple got the snakes because they were "cool" etc, they wouldn't get two snakes/a license for such snakes and do no prior knowledge for them.

Well someone had to [emoji23]

Sorry about the posts above N1C, we are generally a friendly bunch here. Some people need to research facts before going down the 'somethings fishy road'.
Now onto your snakes, you definitely want to seperate them in to their own enclosures. Scrubbies have one hell of a set of teeth and can do quite a lot of damage in a short time.
In regard to the eggs if you are set on incubating them (which is your choice) then there are two ways to go about it. Either letting the mother incubate or buying an incubator.
I will let some of the more experienced breeders, @Yellowtail, @Pauls_Pythons, fill you in on the specifics of incubation.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are a friendly bunch, very receptive to people who are wanting to genuinely seek information and learn.

Thank you vampstorso, that is exactly the type of advice I came looking for.

Sorry I didn’t mean to come across harshly is just does seem very odd, I’m wondering if it is a scrubby at all?? Do you have a pic of it?

Incubation wise if it is a scrubby x coastal I still would not recommend letting them hatch hybrids arnt very well accepted by the community and impossible to put on your licence to sell anyway. If DPI found out they would be seized and probably euthanised anyway

Thanks Scutellatus.

I personally wouldn't recommend incubating these hybrids, and without a pic we don't know for sure if they are viable. (Or if they will survive to go full term)
Having said that it's your choice if you do choose to incubate.
1st question is do you have the means to incubate artificially?
If you want to let the female incubate maternally you will need to separate the animals so a 2nd enclosure will be required immediately.

So I guess 1st thing to do is decide what you actually want to do.
(Keep in mind you will need to get these hatchies feeding and house them appropriately before you can consider the chance to sell what might be a very difficult animal to move on).

Thanks for the helpful replies. They are technically my partners and Ive not had a lot to do with them apart from helping feed, and clean the enclosures, I'm just on here trying to do some of my own research and learn what I can. We have another enclosure, we always separate them to feed and then return them to the bigger enclosure after a few days. Touch wood we have never had any issues with aggression in the 3 years we have had the 2 (I was actually a snake hater until I met my partner and realised how placid and awesome these guys actually are) but know I know this it definitely makes more sense to keep them separated just in case.

I have no desire to incubate them if it is not something that that should be done. So again, thank you for the actual helpful replies :)

Which one is the scrubbie ? I have had them in the past and neither look like a one...
Either not a good mixture [emoji849]

Instagram: murph_BTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back