Emaciated Central Netted dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoJosh

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi guys
Iv just been given a CND that is more or less skin and bones
It also has what appear to be cricket bites on its tail
I cant see a vet for a few days so im asking for advice on whats best to feed a dragon in this condition and if their is any thing else i can do for him
Also does anyone know any reliable care sheets for these guys?
Thanks guys

Do you know the reason for it being skin and bones?
Is it a hatchling or adult?
Do you know if it is emaciated due to parasite overload, or stressed?
Just after a bit more info to be able to help more

Wont know anything until i get him to a vet
I suspect poor husbandry and parasites
He is adult size unknown age

Is he alert and active, or is he lying down with his eyes closed, and head on the floor?

Emaciation in most dragons is due to stress, either directly or indirectly.
He could either be:
1. Not feeding well due to other cagemates dominating food
2. Being afraid of live foods (a possibility with having insect bites on the tail)
3. Parasites (probably coccidia, but also could be pinworms)
4. Previously living in high stress environments (located in busy walkway, being pestered by other pets or people, near a tv or stereo system etc)
Most of these problems go hand in hand with eachother...

Either way you will need to remove all of these problems. Make sure he is in the low stress environment. Make sure he is dry and warm. If he is unable to move (to thermoregulate) you will need to modify the ambient temp within the enclosure, and not putting the dragon on or under a direct heat source.
After the stress issue are sorted, we can then tackle the food issues.

If he simply has food issues, like if he was scared of insects, so wouldn't eat them, but wasn't offered any other food, it will be easier to fix the prob- Finding foods that he does like.
If we are dealing with parasites treatment will take longer and you will need to balance treatment (if vet prescribes sulfadimethoxine) with hydration and the possibility of syringe feeding (as sulfa drugs will take away appetite). If the parasite burden isn't too high, then you may be able to treat the dragon without drugs (preferred).
Until vet gives you a diagnosis, my advice would be to maintain the stress free environment, let him rest for a little while, as dragon stress when being transported, before offering food. See if he accepts some vegies - but most of all keep him comfortable while he settles in.

Iv got a basic idea of their diet but if u could give me a quick run down on CNDs diet it would be great

There are a lot of foods that you are able to feed them but a good base diet would be
Insects:
Crickets and woodies (make up about 30% of diet if he is an adult)
Vegetables:
Bok choy (or other green chinese vegies), endive, celery leaves, brocolli (including leaves and stalk), cauliflower, carrots, mushroom
(there are other foods you can feed as treats, but these vegies seem to give a good balance between high calcium;low phosphorus vegies, some crispy to get them to chew, and helping to keep the bowels working properly to avoid impaction.

Here is a pic of him
as u can see he is in very bad shape- one of the worst cases iv seen

Attachments

• 100_1223.jpg
    100_1223.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 432
I was also thinking of letting them get some natural sunlight but was concerned that if he saw a bird it might make his heart fail
Should i put him out for a bit tomorrow or just leave him in a quite place under UVB

Yes, very similar diet once he is healthy.
He looks really bad. I would suggest also to keep him in a seperate tank from your other dragon. The other one looks really good, you don't want to introduce any parasites to your other animals.
He is going to need a lot of tlc.
I wish you the best of luck with him.

Thanks Jasspa
I was given the other one in the pic today as well
She is not healthy but is alot better than him as u can see
I will separate them tomorrow cos they were asleep when i got home so iv just put them in a warm spot and let them sleep
I just remembered the male pood earlier and it did not look runny as u would expect with worms, does Coccidia cause runny poos also?

Coccidia generally produces slightly runny poos, but usually it is covered in mucus and smells absolutely aweful.

Yeah thanks Jasspa i really appreciate ur help
The guy gave them to me cos he said he could not look after them
I love these guys so im going to do everything i can as i would with any of my animals

it would not shock me if something else sinister is going on with that one, if not simply old age, they are not a species renowned for living for ever, especially in less then perfect conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back