Emergency intervention / rescue of hatchling Chelodina longicollis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just had to perform an emergency intervention to save one of my hatchies, but it did not start out that way... It began as an autopsy.

Yesterday was day 66 of incubation for clutch #1 of the season. One of the eggs that was looking ready to hatch early on Saturday morning all of a sudden turned dark and collapsed on itself on Tuesday. I'm not sure what that means with snake eggs and other reptiles but with turtles, it's a sign that the neonate has actually died at the last minute due to late stage developmental complications and it is not uncommon. Mother nature rarely allows all turtle eggs in a clutch to hatch.

Yesterday at 6pm I decided to leave the egg in the incubator for another day and check when I get home from work, if there's been no change, I'll remove/discard it after opening it to examine what actually went wrong.

Today I got home from work and opened the incubator, I was hopeful but the egg had not hatched and had collapsed even further down on itself, had lost more of its white lustre and had turned dull. I decided that the the little one has unfortunately perished and I'll remove it and open it up to investigate. Bare in mind, I can only see the top half of the egg as it's half buried in damp vermiculite...

I took a large spoon and gingerly scooped the egg up in the position it rest without rotating it and this is the sight I was met with... Not good. A large yolk visible.
20190116_145750.jpg

Next I very carefully split the shell apart and the embryo slid out still wrapped in the membrane onto the spoon, still and lifeless...
20190116_153140.jpg
20190116_150021.jpg

Then to my amazement it used its forelimbs and tore the membrane open and opened its eyes and blinked at me.
20190116_150230.jpg

Pulling itself completely free from the membrane it instantly became apparent what had happened.
20190116_150400.jpg
20190116_151848.jpg
20190116_152557.jpg
20190116_152631.jpg

This little one has actually developed without an egg tooth (rare but does happen) and was unable to free itself from the egg. The egg had collapsed down on itself and split at the bottom under the substrate trapping the baby turtle. Unable to free itself it would have asphyxiated in another day and died. Turtles always exit at the top of the egg, this little guy had no way of doing that. I was expecting to find a dead turtle and thankfully (due to my impatience) I found a live one and he's now lubed up with KY gel and swimming in shallow water and will remain this way for at least a week until his egg yolk is completely absorbed. Another 12-24 hours and this turtle would have died, in the wild it certainly would have.

Today is a good day (in my world). Every turtle is important and this little one is a miracle from the turtle Gods.

Thanks everyone. Here's a photo of his/her egg on last Friday afternoon when it was looking all perfect and ready to hatch over night when the one next to it hatched...
20190117_154448.jpg

By Saturday morning, 3am, the one next to it hatched which should have triggered a hatch response in this one also... But nothing... Sunday and Monday passed and still nothing...

Tuesday came and the egg collapsed on itself... In the picture you can see 3 separate dents where the egg has collapsed and caved in. Usually with reptile eggs this can occur if there's a lack of moisture or humidity but clearly this isn't the case here. When this happens, it means *dead turtle.*
20190117_154138.jpg

Here's the little 10c piece sized dude today, 1 day old. The egg yolk is almost completely absorbed now. Life will get easier in the next week when the danger stage has passed. If the egg yolk ruptures before it's absorbed and the plastron closes, hatchling turtles will die from peritonitis. This little one is well on track to be out of danger in the next 48 hours.
20190117_145556.jpg

Strugglers and runts can sometimes turn out to be the strongest of the group if given a little support in the beginning
Definitely. I myself was born at 6 and a half months weighing only 4 pounds. Spent the first 2 months of my life in an incubator / humidicrib. Would never know it today. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back