Emu Springs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Another week in Arnhem Land. We burnt about ½ million sq. km of country (mostly by chopper), the fires revealed the old 1880s Maranbouy tin mine, we pushed a new 20km track to a forgotten crossing on the Goyder River (it took 80 very rough km off the existing route), and shot, butchered and ate a 1 tonne bush bull.
DSC_0016_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0004_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0035_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg

Emu Springs is a beautiful Outstation that is now mostly abandoned because the Govt wants to push all these people into “Centralised Communities” (don’t get me started!) This baby buff was lucky not to end up on the menu when the caterers didn’t show up. Here’s an Arnhem Land Rabbit!
View attachment 258526View attachment 258525View attachment 258524

The shooter launched from a moving vehicle and while both he and this bullock were on the run he dropped it with a spine shot at 100 meters! (Open sights too). The bull picked a pretty spot to die. He had one horn growing into his head which must have been uncomfortable. He was very fat and was butchered in an hour leaving only skin and bone. The young blokes got butchering lessons. This beast fed 40+ people at our camp after a tenderising trip on the roof racks!. I took over 200 photos of the whole process but probably a bit too gory for APS, there would have been tears.

DSC_0096_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0194_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0114_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0101_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0111_edited-1.jpg

If you can ignore the clothes and yellow axe handle this could have been a scene from 40,000 years ago in this same place. Instead of a cow it would have been a diprotodont.
DSC_0188_edited-1.jpg

The fires we light are ignited from choppers using incendiaries. They travel GPS lines agreed to in meetings of Senior Traditional Owners, Pastoralists, Ranger groups and various Govt. depts. They are cool trickle fires which are vastly weaker than a fire in the same area in Sept or Oct when this country has really dried out and lost the natural fire breaks of perennial streams. It was worth $1.3 million last year in carbon abatement and double that this year.
DSC_0218_edited-1.jpg

Beautiful drive home at sunrise. There are many ferals (including these horses from ex stock horses) and I sometimes wonder (heretically) if there is a place for them as a replacement for the large herbivoures that used to live in this landscape. With us as the requisite predator. We are doing ariel platform feral reduction next month.

DSC_0248_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0235_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0092_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
He might have a good life but I have to listen to him curse and cuss when his pics don't upload properly : )

What is going on? 4 photos came out as invalid attachments (right there clear as day in the preview) so I replaced them and 3 others became invalid attachments. I give up. This was my 4th attempt to do this post, all previous efforts (at the last minute) became "APS is not responding" and disappeared.

Just noticed the photos dissapear after 29.9 of my supposed 100 megs of photo download (subscriber) Will contact Mods.

Last edited:
My pics were doing that yesterday, really annoying.

Great from what I can see though, very jealous. :p

Stop it Steve, you're killing me. :)

Ha ha Wally. If I died 30 years ago I would have seen more country and had more adventures than most do in a lifetime. And I came close to the big goodbye a few times as a young fella. So every day is a bonus and I seek the things that make me rich. Got no money though lol.

Ha ha Wally. If I died 30 years ago I would have seen more country and had more adventures than most do in a lifetime. And I came close to the big goodbye a few times as a young fella. So every day is a bonus and I seek the things that make me rich. Got no money though lol.

I reckon you're a rich man. :)

Gonna come up soon enough and cash in too.

Wow great shots. Looks like fun times. It's a shame the horses can't be herded up, bred a few generations down and sold to folks who want them. Similar to the various brumby rescue organisations I've seen. Even thought about getting a brumby myself next year though I've been flamed a thousand times over for saying so. :? I have no idea how successful it all is or whether these horses would be suited but it's a shame to see them going to waste or causing damage to the environment. I'm guessing feral reduction means culling? :(

Yes J it means culling. The Weemol Rangers are catching and breaking these (genetically excellent) decendants of stock horses. This means they can extend their patrols into the Wet season (when Toyotas sink into the floodplains. The big difference between these herbivoures and the extinct ones is hard hooves that really chop country up. Their trails become creeks then erosion gullies. They are beautiful though.

"I seek the things that make me rich"

and thank you for sharing your wealth

Cheers
Sandee :)

Gods country mate.

Top shot with an open site at 100m and on the move. What caliber took the beast down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back