Encloser help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day

I'm trying to work myself out for my first snake. I'm working with a small budget as i'm just a school kid and trying to save for a car.

Anyway to the point. I'm looking at enclosers at 3 x 2 x 2 ft and getting prices like $ 4-500 with or without heating....etc. How easy is it too install the electrical gear on my own? I can use my hands I'm not an idiot but like is there much of a price difference and what should i look at buying for say 3 Children Pythons?

Thanks

Nathan

G'day Nathen ,
Where do you live ?
If you aproach your contact / breeder that you get reptiles off should be able to help you !
But there is a many of people on this site should be able to help you

when it comes to ELECTRICITY have someone experience to do it but show you at the same time - a mate !

Western Sydney,
Isn't there a shop around St Mary's somewhere that does them?

Thanks Barney

Nathan

If you don't mind a polycarb job email Brian at the Herp Shop to see if he still sells them, he had some VERY reasonably priced ones a while back. And yes indeed, don't mess with the electrics yaself unless a sparky shows ya how cos you can indeed cause fires, electrocution etc. Not trying to scare ya mate but I have seen some SHOCKING amateur jobs at the electrics. If ya handy with ya hands have you thought about building your own enclosure?

African, did you draw up plans for the enclosures you built, or just work of a drawing in your head?
I would be interested to build my own, but don't really know how to get started

I've built all my own enclosures, and would encourage anyone to do it.

However, if you do not know what you are doing with the electricals DO NOT DO IT!!!! The main reason being, you could electricute your herp, yourself, or it could catch fire and burn down the house! Remember this is mains power you are playing with....

Other than that though, building your own enclosure gives you so much more enjoyment because you get to sit back at the end of the day, and look at the enclosure you built, containing your happy herp, and nothing beats that! Plus you can custom build an enclosure to fit into your decore!!!

:D

If anyone wants some questions answered about building your own enclosure, I'd be more than happy to help!!!

Actually in further to my last post, I am in the process of building another snake enclosure for my carpet, and I have been photographing each step, and am creating a word document that is a step-by-step guide to how I did it. If anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy to post it on this site somewhere!

Hi Dan, the Reptile Barn is in St. Marys, Great Western Hgw.
Go there and get some Ideas.
As far as electrical go, you can buy ceramic heat globe holder with stainless steel cover, connection, all ready do go for I think $75.
Fluro light holder, under $50, and all you do is screw it in and plug it in and you?re ready
Ah yeah, you also need a thermostat; I think you can get one under $50.
It?s still pretty straight forward, but they would tell you at the shop which plug goes where, if you think you have a problem. :)
Cheers Artie

Hi Tony, no mate I just built it from my head, (cheaper than timber), and have no plans for it. There is a pic of a couple of home mades on my site if you want to see what type etc. It really is pretty simple and I'd say go for it. I will however underline what has already been said about the electricals and say get a sparky to do that bit, it is simply not worth the risk for the few dollars you MAY save by doing them yourself.

enclosure help

Being from st marys myself id have to say go see sharon at the reptile barn. I also build enclosures for the public so if interested drop me a line.

enclosures

has anyone checked out cagesbydesign.com and does anyone in sydney do something similar.i'm doing renovations on my house at the moment and would love something as good looking as their stuff in my new loungeroom. andy

enclosure help!

Below is approx costs from bunnings gt west hwy minchunburry

2 3x2melamine = approx $20each
2 2x2melamine = approx $20each
1 3x2pegboard = approx $20

below is quoted from reptile barn gt west hwy st marys

Thermostat = $47
2 BC light fittings = $6each
2 sheets of 4mm glass = approx $40
1 set of 4mm glass tracks = $17

I would use 2 normal incandescent light globes (preferably red) at 60watt -75watt each.The idea of pegboard gives good ventilation and because it isnt a huge rear wall plus the rear is up against a wall in your room not alot of heat loss will exist.The globes may be overkill but due to thermostatically controlling it will keep temps at a regular heat.Also if 1 globe should blow you have the safety of a 2nd globe so temps do not fall too low. For DIY your looking at roughly $200.With the wiring you may choose to get someone else to do it. As you are local to my area I would be happy to help.If you build the enclosure yourself and can bring it to me I could wire it free of charge as a favour for a fellow herper.Or as suggested elsewhere ask sharon at the reptile barn about wiring.
I also have BC fittings and thermostats in stock as well as glass door locks heat cages etc,so If interested you could build the cage out of the described materials and I could fit all electricals at cost price (as quoted above)

Hey

I am going to make a enclosure in wood works at my school any ideas of what size i should mak it and any other ideas?

I yeah

I yeah thats right i have to introduce myself to all.
ok here goes!
Hi im Matt Hughes i live in Brisbane i am 14 years of age one of my hobbys is animals well its my fav hobby,The animals that i own:2 dogs both sisters there breed is staffy 2 birds ones a cockateil the other is a budgie 4 frogs three of them are nusery the other one is a striped marsh frog 5 chickens cant remember what breed they are :? and i also keep crickets and grasshoppers to feed my frogs.I have never been overseas but i want to go to Bali and madagaska or how ever you spell it.I live with my mum and dad and my bro and sis.I am the youngest its very hard!,I like to go motobike riding and also i like to film things like animals(documentrys!) and i like making short films,I havent got a reptile yet but i want to my mum says im not aloud a snake till i move out :cry: but im thinking about buying one when she goes to England.I like to build stuff in wood works at school right now im starting on a snake enclosure but not sure how big and other stuff.My birthday is on the 2 of jan so i sometimes get a christmas and birthday prezzy in one wich does suck.i was born 1989.

I think that about sums it up!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D

Matt the size depends on what you wish to keep in it. But as an example and a good rule of thumb I would take 1/2 the size of the total length of the species for the length and height and 1/2 of that again for the width.
So if you intended keeping a 8 foot carpet a 4x4x2 enclosure is perfect.
An easy material to work with (as im sure your woodwork teacher will also help) would be b grade 16mm ply.

I havent got a reptile yet but i want to my mum says im not aloud a snake till i move out but im thinking about buying one when she goes to England

Not a smart move Matt especially if she returns and you have to dispose of it.Maybe your mother can share your interest by sitting beside you on the computer and reading through the forums also,That way the views and oppinions of everybody else here may rub off on her allowing you to purchase a beginner snake like a childrens etc.

heh

She is just scared and if i do get one she wont care really aslong as i take care of it and dont chase her around with it but like i would :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back