Enclosure accessories

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandymegan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
after all your great info b4 we have a couple more questions.
ok.. we have the enclosure set up... nearly... newspaper is down, washed mw'd rocks are in and uvb lamp and ceramic heating lamp is in with thermostat thingy.
the question is this... I've found these really nice branches in my paddock and a couple of hollow logs. can I just wash these, let them dry in the sun or do they need to be baked too? actually one branch is a bit big to be baked or mw'd??? I've cut a hollow log in 1/2 length ways and cleared out all the junk inside it, will this make a good hide?
Also, is one thermometer in the middle ok or should I have one at the hot end and one at the cool end.
thanks for all your wisdom
Megan :)

You should be fine with the branches/logs. It's the reptiles that carry the parasites, not the trees. :)
As for the thermostates, I don't use them (yet) so I can't help you there.

Good once it all comes together isn't it.

I basically did the same as you re the branches and log. One thing I would mention is that one of my branches even after a half hour bleach soak and cleanup still managed to produce a little colony of tiny ants once installed in the enclosure. I spent about a week killing these off. All gone now. I don't suppose that they would be a problem to reptiles generally but they are a bit annoying as an observer.

With the thermostat I think you'd be better off placing the thermostat at the hottest position in the tank and setting it so for the highest temperature that you require (mine's set around 34C). Then once all setup and running just check that at the cooler end of the enclosure the temperature is cool enough to allow Mr. or Mrs. reptile to get out of the heat. There should be a gradual increase (temperature gradient) from the cool end to the warm end.

Best of luck

thanks!!! :lol:
you all answered so quickly. I have just noticed that the uvb tube gives out heat, I don't suppose this will be a prob as the beardies will be able to get away from too much in the hides. It all looks so great, now we just need the reptiles and my son has his birthday pressie.
cheers everyone.
Megan :p

You forgot one thing

the piccies (once the inhabitants are aboard) of the enclosure and your sons smile when he sees it all - I'm envious.

Oh and happy birthday to him from us (that's you as well now).

8)

megan - the fluro light shouldn't be a problem. you'll probably find it's something like 12 watts, and it's wattage that determines heat output - a 12 watt globe will give very little heat :)

as to the rest - i've always given my logs a bleach soak and it's worked well. that half hollow log sounds great!

And i'd also love to see the pics once the cage is inhabited :D

Wattage to heat is not so true with ballasted fluoros HIS. The baton type fittings with with the choke on-board have very large heat losses through the choke compared to the tube. True the tube doesn't give off much heat but the ballast / choke does.

Hey... I will definately post some pics when the little darlings arrive. Probably won't be for a couple of weeks (that's when the big day is) but if I weaken he might get them sooner :wink:
cheers,
Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back