enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gavgav

Reaction score
hi all i was after some advice,
i have a 1yr old b&w jungle python
and i have a 1yd old diamond python

there ready to come out of there click clacks and go ino a bigger enclosure,
im looking to build 2 enclosures to hold them for the next 2-3 years before i build some big large enclosures

what size enclosures would be best to hold them for the next 2-3years

would it be best to go more of a flat and long enclosure, or tall and more slim enclosure

any advice would be great

They could probably live in a 3ft for awhile, but I would build the full size enclosures and put them straight into that if thats an option

I had a change in living arrangments. A few months ago so at the moment I don't have the space to build the full size enclosures that I want to,I'm happy to build 2 smaller ones for now then when I have the room build some nice big ones or even build up a big bank enclosure setupp and add more,So 3ft wide by how tall and deep

Minimum I'd go for a 2-3 yr diamond would be 3x2x2, as they'e pretty arboreal, plus you're going to want it big enough for branches, heat gradient, blah blah. I'm sure some dingus will pipe up with their stoies about their 8' diamond that lives in a shoebox, but for general well being I'd stick with that. It'd probably be worth your while to get a 6x2x2 and just divide it, that way when they're bigger you only need one more enclosure.

3ft high 3ft wide 2ft deep?
im open to all opinions
im thinking of something with a solid door that opens insted of sliding doors

time to start building my plans are 2 enclosures,both
1000mm longx 600mm deep and 900mm high

these are temp houses for the momet till i have more room so they will be in them for the next 2 years then ill build something bigger and better for each

does the size sound ok, at the moment there both in big click clacks around 500mm long 350deep and 300mm high

also what do people reccommend to put on the floor of there enclsures, at the moment i use butchers paper in there click clacks

any advice would be great

I keep 7ft bredli in 900 high 600 wide 600 deep enclosures, during breeding they spent 4 months together in this size enclosure and spent most of the time either on a 350 square shelf or the hide in the cool end which is approx 400x300x200 so if 2 7ft pythons which are as thick as my wrist can fit in that size hide together and are happy it means they have more then enough space! I think some people give their snakes to much space, snakes like to feel safe and I've found the smaller the better!

cool thats for that,
im tossing up between
900 high 600 wide 600 deep or
900 high 900 wide 600 deep

should i try and and make then my self or try and get some pre made ones

so i started building today my total size will be
1000mm long x 900mm high x 595mm deep,

so far ive put the top, bottom, and the 2 sides togeather using 8-10g screws and pva fast drying glue, now i need to get some more timber for the backs

is there a problem with using 2 peices of timer for the back section as the total measurement needed is 968mm x 868mm and bunnings doesnt carry anything that wide? say 968mm x 434mm x2

also what sealer/silicone should i use to run along the edges on the inside of the timber

sorry for all the questions, this is my first time building and i dont want to get it wrong or do anything that could hurt my snakes

Last edited:
ok ive got my setups togeather now its time to sort out some heating and some thermostats to run then

i plan on runnig a coz black ceramic heat emitter and a uv light in both setups

what would people reccommend,

from what ive read i shouldnt use a on/off thermostat like ive been using with the heat matts

I would be using a heat mat with thermostat for heating and a basking light with timer just for basking. Thermostats can handle a heatmat (20w-40w) easily, but when you ask them to turn on 150w bulbs (or more), they dont like it and can fail. I think most thermostats have a maximum wattage capacity which of course shouldnt be exceeded ;)

Lets see some pics :)

ill post some pictures when its all togeather and ready to go
for the ceramic heat emitter would i want a dimming or pulsing thermo??

I would go for heat mat for heating and don't worry about heat emitter. Heat emitters chew heaps of electrickery too..... just my opinion ;) especially if you have to run 2 of them

Last edited:
whats the best way to get some branches for my setup,
buy them from a reptile shop or go out to the bush and find some and treat them before installing them into the enclosures

Nah. Check they're not full of ants, give em a quick hose and have a good look to make sure no ticks or other bugs have come along for a ride.

If you live near the sea, give them a soak in the salt water for half an hour or so to kill any bugs and parasites. Hose them off when you get them home and dry them for a while before using them. Like pythonlegs said, last thing you want is to bring mites, ticks and other parasites into your enclosure.

Camden, ok, maybe submerge the branch in a river for a while. Next to a river is prolly a good place to look for branches ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back