Enclosure Locks!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFear

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Curious to what locks people use on there enclosures!
I'm interested in what brands are best and which locks work well and are fairly easy to use!

Currently I'm using Reptapet glass locks which I find are good and keep the snakes from pushing the glass open but I can easily slide the lock off as the teeth don't hold very well, they wouldn't be very useful if some one decided to break in and clean me out!

thanks

I bought mine from Bunnings, works well :)

Do they have to be lockable with a key? I've changed all of mine to the bent coat hanger style. So much simpler and neater IMO

I hope this gives you a good enough idea of the shape and how they sit.

behugaby.jpg

uja5age4.jpg

Sax I'm trying to figure out how it works?
i don't think it would work with my enclosures as each glass panel is almost touching!
great idea tho, what sort of coat hangers do you use? They look very strong!

Sorry Jr it's pretty difficult to explain in writing. In the top pic you can see that it locks it closed but all you need to do is lift it up a bit and twist the handle part upwards and it slides out sideways. If that doesn't make sense, maybe I can try to make a video of it this afternoon..?
Do you use the glass tracks from Bunnings? That's all I use and it fits perfectly. The coat hangers are just the cheap plastic coated metal ones and you cut off the length you need.

Saintanger you don't buy them you make them. Maybe I should go into business selling them on here :p.

Last edited:
Sax you should make a video im sure it would help alot of people! Or even just sell them :)

I do use the Cowdroy glass slidders if thats the ones you were talking about!

Yeah they're the ones I use too so this idea should work for you.

Ok I'm no Spielberg but I hope this helps

[video=youtube;rdl0uwf1go8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdl0uwf1go8[/video]

Don't count yourself short , it was suspenseful waiting for see if the door would actually stay shut after you put the latch back in place. Very clever and simple idea though mate, I think I will give this a go because I have the other type latches but don't use them because they are not neat and simple to use.

Sax your a genius! Gonna look for coat hangers this arvo!

now does any one wanna buy my 20 key glass locks i just ordered! haha

[video=youtube;rdl0uwf1go8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdl0uwf1go8[/video]

Oh my lord, I'm probably the only one but I looked at the picture - read the description - looked at the picture again - read the subscription a further four times and still couldn't imagine how it would work! If it weren't for your video I would have died wondering about this lol

That's the female brain for you.... Duh

I have been using the "coat hanger locks" for a while now as well, I got the idea from another member here who posted it some time ago. I have one darwin who occasionally worked the wire until it popped out, but the catching section of the "lock" would fall into the track so it was still effective, whether it was blind luck or not? Has anyone else experienced their animals working the wire loose/out?

I have now installed these on the elapid enclosures at work as a secondary lock incase of one lock failing all elapids now have two methods of locking the doors. Not necessary from a husbandry point of view, but it drives home the safety and lock checking protocol for all exhibits.

My work has also found an alternative to the standard glass sliding locks, it is hard to explain but the lock is secured to the front glass panel (hole cut through glass) and the lock pushes in, so that it blocks the glass panel behind from sliding, then with a key turn it pops back out. They seem much more reliable than the typical locks. They were sourced from a cabinet maker and probably similar to those used in commercial shop fittings.

My Jungle does the same Dan but I've had the same experience. It just drops into the track.
The shop I work at on weekends also uses the other locks you're talking about. Definitely neater looking than the traditional ones most herp keepers use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back