Enclosure Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darwin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post my enclosure that I built for my Albino Darwin and wanted some feedback or tips.

It measures 1100mm (H) x 900MM (W) x 600 (D)

Im using a heat radiator up in the top left corner that operates on a pulse thermostat, and there is a heat mat down the bottom that operates on a timer. This kicks in at 5pm till 5am. The heat mat isnt under his hide as Ive been told all this would do is encourage him to stay in there all day/night...

His hide sits at 22 degrees and im not sure really what temp i should set his basking spot at. I called a major reptile shop in Melbourne and they said being a Darwin Carpet it should be set pretty high, around high 30's. Ive had the basking spot set at high 30's and he basks up there happily. is this ok?

Any advice would be great, always want to make his home as comfortable as possible. Ive mentioned before in previous post that his is a tough one to feed, very picky....

Attachments

• IMG_2661.jpg
    IMG_2661.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2660.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 83
Nice build, well done.
I'd suggest more of a shelf setup under the basking spot so he can spread out a bit, rather than just get a little of his body warm. You can put the shelf behind the branch so it's 'invisible'
The temp you've got visible in the photos looks fine, I've got 5 Darwin's and not one has temp higher than 34c

Once the snake is over a year old there is no need for night heat. It just gives them a comfortable first year.

Is that tape on the branch in the first photo? Even if it seems really stuck down i would remove it just in case, tape can do some serious damage if the sticky side comes into contact with your python :)

I got him as a yearling and now he is just over 3 years old. Since moving down from Qld I get worried from time to time keeping his temp right. Ill build a shelf so he can spread out. thanks for the advice

Yes ive taped down his thermometer probe to the branch, ill change it right away, didnt know it could be bad. Could you advise me on anything else that is safe to secure the prob in one spot?

I use plastic suction cups intended to hold aquarium airline tubing in place, but i'm not too sure how that would go in a branch...?

I thought you'd only got it taped while you were testing it out!
Permanent solution, drill a small hole in the side where the shelf/ branch is, run it along the back of the branch, silicone will hold it in place (leave the probe untouched by silicon)

Dont wory about night heating down here at all mate, it's not too bad even in winter. I have 3 Bredli who only get 12hrs heat a day(7am-7pm), temps never drop below about 20 overnight which is well fine for them.

Nice enclosure and as Jax said a basking platform would be a gr8 add to the build, i don't wish to be picky but i see that nobody has said anything about those 2 screws holding the thermometer to the branch....those screw heads could cause quite a bit of damage to your Darwins underbody scales (maybe some blutack on the back of the enclosure would do the trick) otherwise i would be happy to holiday there lol................................................Ron

Well spotted Ron,
Id Have the thermometer on the outside. Out on the false top you've got would look neat and tidy.(top, left) Drill a hole just big enough for the probe to go through, then feed across the top and down the side (outside), then in through the side wall behind the branch.
Depending on the length you have you may even be able to run the cord across the top and in from the back to the basking area
The LCD can be put over the hole on the front.

Thanks guys,

This feedback is fantastic! ill def get rid of the screws and tape and move the thermometer to the outside! Im building a rock wall at the moment so once that gets put in it will change where I put the basking shelf etc.....
Any other tips are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back