Enclosure Sizes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrech

Reaction score
Hi again, I hope this is not a dumb question. For the average 6 foot python like a Murray Darling, what size enclosure is recommended? I have a preference for a four foot enclosure because it would fit nicely in a wll space I have created. I don't want to buy an enclosure that is too small and will stress my snake out when he becomes an adult.
Cheers. Paul :?

Four foot length should be fine for an MD, but is as small as I would go. At 4' long, I'd reccomend at least 2' deep and 2' high, 3' would be better. If you have the room and money, you can go even higher and your snake will appreciate it. I'm assuming MD's are fairly aboreal like most carpets? Also, an MD is likely to get to 7-8' as an adult, possibly larger. 6' would be a pretty small one I'd think. :D

Let me just say that when it comes to any housing of animals bigger is always better.But a good rule of thumb is to measure the total length of an adult snake species to be housed.1/2 its length should go into the enclosure length then 1/2 that length again can go into the height and depth of the enclosure.So if you would like to keep a 8 foot carpet python a 4x2x2 enclosure would be ideal for terrestrial species.For arboreal I recommend the same height as length.

IMO
Terrestrial: 1/2 total body length of snake for length of enclosure, and 1/2 again for width and height=4x2x2 for a 8 foot snake.

Arboreal: 1/2 total body length of snake for length and height of enclosure,and 1/2 again for width=4x2x4 for 8 foot snake.

My Murray Darling pair rarely go high in their enclosure,they always seem to be in their hides. I suppose if I positioned the hides higher than floor level they'd use them but they don't climb their branches much to get near the heat lamp.

Cheers, Greg

really greg? i have a yearling MD and he cant get enough of climbing, i'd say he spends more time in the air then on the ground

My coastal and diamond spend almost all their time up off the floor as well...

I would suggest that a carpet python that chose to hide in a groundfloor hidebox rather than climb, may not be totally comfortable or adjusted to its particular enclosure.

Not in this case mate. They are healthy,they're eating,all the temps are right,they show no signs of stress.They just prefer to stay in their hides.They're not there all the time they do come out and wander around. I've seen other carpets kept in smaller enclosures with no chance to climb, live long and healthy lives.

Cheers, Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back