Enclosures...Build or Buy?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEZ

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What are your opinions/experiences on building vs buying enclosures?

What do you think is more cost effective :?:

I am buying my first one, then I will build any more I need from nice looking cupboards like on the site.

The first one is just to know what I need where.

build, its cheaper, build what you like and whats good for your snake, or buy from other herpers like i think junglerob or jungle...somthing lol on here builds nice ones but for i dont need heating etc so i can build it way different that you guys down there need

I'll be building my first. It just means that I can get the right size for what snake I'll get. Also if I do it right, I'll end up saving alot of money ans well as having a beautiful looking enclosure.

It honestly depends, I was able to get a hold of two enclosures (one 4x3x2 and the other 2x2x2) for forty dollars last year. The panel of glass from just the 2x2x2 enclosure would have cost me that alone :). I also have bought a 3x1.5x1.5 ft enclosure with a 2ft fluro in it for $99.

When I built my 4x4x2 bank of three enclosures I would have spent about $300 dollars in materials (melamine and perspex would have gotten to a bit before electrical stuff, 6 panels 4x2 melamine - $150 Three sheets of perspex 2x1ft $90 pegboard backing another $60 roughly). I felt proud of what I had built and that says something.

Building a new enclosure is better than buying a new enclosure from a store though (cheaper).

Do you want them as display enclosures that are an addition to the houses furniture or are you interested in the animal and couldn't care less about the Aesthetics of the enclosure (exterior apperance I mean)?

It is cheaper and easier to buy smaller ones but if you are looking for something around the five foot mark or larger easier to build IMO.

Do you want them as display enclosures that are an addition to the houses furniture or are you interested in the animal and couldn't care less about the Aesthetics of the enclosure (exterior apperance I mean)?

Munkee ...thanks for such a great reply!!

Yes I want most of them as displays but I also what them practical and care about the animal of course. My previous enclosures weren't so pleasing to the eye but that was mainly because of my budget. But now the budget is much more and my new enclosure is part of the furniture, all my new enclosures will be not only practical but aesthetically pleasing.

I was hoping to build my next couple as I then can get exactly what I want and also be proud of what I did too. Was just concerned about the cost variation and which one (build vs buy) would be more effecitve.

I probably will end up building the next one very soon.....thanks again for your detailed reply munkee..

Keep the replies coming ppl always interested to hear many points of view plus it helps fellow members too....

Hehe just checking :D . Stained wood enclosures in my opinion looks very nice and if the budget doesn't constrict you I'd say build. You do feel good about what you have made (even if it is not perfect - mine wasn't :)). Keep an eye out for cupboards and wardrobe type things if they suit your plans.

My main advice for building is if you use hinges for your door make the fit very good. My enclosures have a gap which wont let anything get out and helps airflow but the BHPs will push into the gap trying to force it open and one female has placed a dent in her nose as a result. It has gone away now though thankfully as it didn't look too nice.

Remember Pics at the end otherwise it didn't happen :).

i bought my first enclosure 3x1.5x2, and then had my 5x2x2 custom made from the Gully Retile Centa which cost me an arm and a leg! $1200... but was worth it! i love it so much!
but now am making my python enclosure myself from my wardrobe... and i must say i have only just started but im having so much fun doing it! and i hope it looks and functions as well as the ideas in my head!

I saw your thread re converting a wardrobe T X...it's coming along nicely!

I think I'll end up doing the same thing or something very similar...good project to sink my teeth into too!!!

I'm just too impatient I want another enclosure now!!... New enclosure = Another python!! :D

I have seen lots of enclosures being sold here and on ebay and other places that are far cheaper and much better built than anything I could do. However, if you need something custom made to fit a particular application then you probably should buy it. I Bought both of these enclosures from Ebay for $700 each.

Wow they are great enclosures Peter!!! I better hurry and get my licence so I can have more than one snake!! hehehe

If you have the time I would say build your own. It is cheaper than having one made up as your time to make it doesn't really cost you anything. I'd like to think my enclosures are reasonably priced, just wish there was a cheaper way of getting them down your way, as have had quite a bit of interest.

Remember: 'Measure twice, cut once!' :wink:

I think building your own is personally much more satisfying and usually alot cheaper... But it can also be a head stress and time consuming. Are you good with wood and tools? Do you have access to cheap material or furniture units such as tx11 to convert? Can you wire in lighting and thermstats etc? cut glass? Ultimately it's your choice but if you answered no to most of these questions then i'd suggest you buy... otherwise you are in for a headache! If you answered yes to most then definately build. The personal satisfaction of viewing your herps in your own built enclosure will make it all worth while in the end. good luck with whatever you decide chief!

Oops, I meant to say above that is you have a custom application then you are better building. I accidentally typed Buying.

love your ebay bargains pete, great looking setups! that 2nd one is huge! time to get a small scrubby in there... or maybe an emerald monitor (lol).

Of course, sometimes you need to be a bit innovative. Here is an example of being somewhat opportunistic. I found a couple of bookshelves at work that we would have thrown out. I spent $57 on glass and about another $40 on glass runners and $30 on wood. Now I have two 5 bank enclosures for a total cost of less than $200 (until I got fancy on the electrics). the people who went to the MacHerps show would have seen these banks.

But of course, sometimes you have to build because your misses says that your enclosure MUST match the colour of yoru furniture or you need a specific size. so then you need to go to yoru friendly laminat shop and get them to pre cut your wood. Get another mate form the plastics industry to shout you some laser cut acrylic and then for $150 you can have a reasonably good enclosure in th ecolour and size of your choice.

and I hope you like this one Jamie 'cause its the one going to your place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back