Enlcoures for Ackies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
I cant find any information on Keeping Ackies as pets...Could someone answer these questions?

Size of enclosure:

Heating Requirements:

Food:

Tempremant:

Social?:

What should be in the enclosure:

Hey belinda here is a couple of excellent care sheets
http://www.kingsnake.com/varanus/ackiecare.html
http://www.proexotics.com/care_ackie.html
http://www.kingsnake.com/acanthurus/care/index.html
Now my views....A single ackie could be kept in an enclosure about 3 ft in length an a pair or trio in a 4ft enclosure however make the enclosure as big as possible as the ackies will use every centimetre of it. They need a basking spot of about 45 degrees. I feed my baritji's on a diet of woodies (which I dust with calcium D3 every 2nd feed) and I also feed the odd pinkie/fuzzie mouse. generally they dont make as good pets as beardies or blueys but some can be quite tame. Some male ackies will live together some will not and It also helps if they are raised together. The most important things in the enclosure are a a high temp basking spot and at least 5 cm deep of sand but 10cm deep would be better, as these lil guys love to dig.

I have heard that monitors love to climb, and from what I've heard lace monitors will try and climb up you and tear you apart...Is this the same for Ackies? Would it be alright if I let them out to play in the aviary for a couple of hours in warmer weather???

Do Ackies like swimming? Should I build a pond for them??

Mine in the outdoor enclosure always climb on the wire and the branches, so I guess it wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't bother with a pond personally. Also another important thing you need to do is keep the substrate moist

Ok....I tihnk I might transfer my built in closet into an ackie enclosure..... Its 1.45 metres long 66cm wide and 2 metres high... Is that good? How many could I keep in that size?

I would personally keep 2 or maybe even 3

Okies, At the moment, I could only afford one. Escpecially if I am getting the Bredli. ( still waiting upon a reply )

I think Ill cut some windows in the door, and have some heat lamps hanging on a chain from the ceiling. There is 2 doors to the wardrobe so I'll also use some heat tape and mount it along the first half around on the bottom of the wall, and have the other half a cool end, though I'll probably have a heat lamp in the cool end aswell since it will probably get very cool in that half, since the wardrobe is 2 metres high. And then I'll have a UVB tube in the hot end and UVA tube in the cold end , mounted on the ceiling.. and I'll have a tarpolen down, it is a carpet bottom, and a piece of wood 40 cm high on the ground near the door, so that sand wont fall out, Does this sound alright?

Please add anything else I need.

Belinda i can see a few things.

That is a massive cage for ackies and you could probably keep a group of 7or 8 ackies in their.

If you are going to buy ackies don't just buy one at a time, ackies can become very agro towards other ackies if raised on their own or if seperated for to long. I already said this to you a couple of times and i know because it's happened to me several times.

Moniters do not need UVB light. Hanging a UVB light from the top of a 2m cage would be usless anyway as the uvb/uva light rays are only emitted to around 30cms from the tube.

Your better off have just a heat lamp and making sure it creates a hot spot of about 45-50c. You only need one basking site for a couple of ackies but ad another if you get more.
If you have a basking site that temp the rest of the cage will drop slowly and they can pick where they want to sit.

Ackies tend to live in rock outcrops in the wild and cage furniture should suit, they do climb branches but not that much.
I'll try take some pics of the ply towers that i use to simulate rock crevices.

All of your original questions have been answered in another thread recently "moniter help".

What is an Ackie? Is it like a smaller version of a Jackie?

Thanks Mags glad you told me.I learn sumthin new everyday.
Well its Greebos fault anyway that all these names are so similar

A monitor?? Yeah I got one of those.its about 15 inches

Belle~Belinda said:
15 inches is 4.5 metres Fangs...
Umm belinda you got ure measurements wrong.go back to school you cant afford any more sick days if u are this far behind

nah couldnt be 4.5 mtrs no way it wouldnt be able to fit on my computer desk if it was that big

Woops...I keep getting foot and inches mixed up, especially when people have the ' and the " .... Just a general mistake....

LOL yup deifnetly no more sick days belinda :lol:

don't buy ackies seperatly
(Edited by Administrator)

I know.... Everytime I read about reptiles it's always pretty much foot. Don't see how I could've made that mistake...But can we get back on track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back