Equine Influenza

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you talk some good sense PhilK
im not really thinking straight.
im just pissed that something like this could happen

They might have to cancel the horse part of our prac exams because they can't get any dead horses into the uni!!!! That'd be AWESOME hahaha. So many conflicting emotions..

Stop Bringing In Horses From Overseas And We Wont Have A Problem

anyone who wants to know the latest about the horseflu should try www.dpi.nsw.au/equine influenza. There are now 16 restricted areas - unbelievable how this can happen. I personally will be in big trouble if they don't lift the movement bans soon. I need to move my horses and get back to work

mama croc, if you're not in a restricted area, just apply for a movement permit and you shouldnt have any trouble moving your horses.
I got a call from the DPI yesterday, we are now in a 50 day quarantine, no unauthorised people allowed on the property, everything has to be disinfected everytime it leaves the property etc. Luckily none of our horses are sick, but I was at the comp near maitland, and everyone who attended is in quarantine. The 50 days means the event of our competition season however :( I would rather that though than sick horses.

Sockbat, that is never going to happen! Apart from racehorses, there are lots of performance horses that travel overseas on a regular basis, Im fairly sure that when our performance people go OS to events ilke the olympics, they will want to bring their horses home afterwards...

Cheers

I'm staying across from Randwick racecourse tomorrow night. Hope i don't wake up Sunday feeling a little horse ;)

Being in the racing game myself, i have heard so many stories now. They reckon there has now been a few that have actually died. One thing is for sure it is deffinately getting scary for us horse owners. If i hear anything i will keep you all posted.

Cheers

Cameron

Being in the racing game myself, i have heard so many stories now. They reckon there has now been a few that have actually died. One thing is for sure it is deffinately getting scary for us horse owners. If i hear anything i will keep you all posted.

Cheers

Cameron

Once again, the disease itself isn't that scary. The majority of cases get depression, nasal discharge, a cough, elevated temperature. The problem comes (as in humans) from complications such as pneumonia. Also, excessive coughing can scar lungs and race-horses are useless with that. So unless they're good enough to breed, *bang*. Many of the deaths probably were from putting horses down, not from dying of influenza

hey guys

have you head about all the people now who dont have jobs?
thats what i was saying...... so many have been layed off in syd as seen in the papers.
Gold Coast is also being hit with some reductions but obviousally nowhere near as bad.

and they would put the horse down if it was dying from influenza........

lol might get some prac horses out of this.... not may other positives yet.

also does anyone no if the tests in towomba were really positive?

bel : )

Unfortunate

hey guys
have you head about all the people now who dont have jobs?
thats what i was saying...... so many have been layed off in syd as seen in the papers.
Gold Coast is also being hit with some reductions but obviousally nowhere near as bad.
and they would put the horse down if it was dying from influenza........
lol might get some prac horses out of this.... not may other positives yet.
also does anyone no if the tests in towomba were really positive?

That is an unfortunate part of any working life. Think about all the poor guys at Ford that got stood down recently.

All I can say, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is a vaccine available. Why then did our Racing Industry and all other relevant parties concerned not vaccinate against this? Because of our isolation they thought we were too far from any dangers. Well I guess this bit them right on the bum

that true shamous1......
would love to no also about the vaccine... any ideas?

That is an unfortunate part of any working life. Think about all the poor guys at Ford that got stood down recently.

All I can say, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is a vaccine available. Why then did our Racing Industry and all other relevant parties concerned not vaccinate against this? Because of our isolation they thought we were too far from any dangers. Well I guess this bit them right on the bum
There may be a vaccine but does it cover all the strains of it???
And not sure how true this is but i heard the racing industry saying if they vaccinated , it masks the illness so they don't know the horses are carrying it.

No

There may be a vaccine but does it cover all the strains of it???
And not sure how true this is but i heard the racing industry saying if they vaccinated , it masks the illness so they don't know the horses are carrying it.

If they were to vaccinate now then they may not know if the animal has the virus or not but if they were to vaccinate prior to (as per say humans) then there would be a far less opportunity for thje virus to come about as it has done.

mama croc, if you're not in a restricted area, just apply for a movement permit and you shouldnt have any trouble moving your horses.
I got a call from the DPI yesterday, we are now in a 50 day quarantine, no unauthorised people allowed on the property, everything has to be disinfected everytime it leaves the property etc. Luckily none of our horses are sick, but I was at the comp near maitland, and everyone who attended is in quarantine. The 50 days means the event of our competition season however :( I would rather that though than sick horses.

Sockbat, that is never going to happen! Apart from racehorses, there are lots of performance horses that travel overseas on a regular basis, Im fairly sure that when our performance people go OS to events ilke the olympics, they will want to bring their horses home afterwards...

Cheers

hi Dragoness,

I have applied for a movement permit but they won't let me. I have really good relationship with RLPB guy now-have been talking to him twice a day since monday . I am in Control Area - Not Restricted - the problem is that home is in an area not exposed yet and they believe we have been exposed. No signs of illness but we have been in several areas - now restricted - in last few weeks.
I talked to a vet about the vaccine and bascially the government has to give permission for them to bring it in and start national vaccine program. In UK all eventers etc must have vaccination cards before they can enter any comps. Could be a good idea.
I think I am eligable for the $1500.00 immediate payment but not really sure yet. that will at least pay the mortgage.

bye for now

I'm fairly sure if there was a vaccine, they would've used it... It definitily would've occured to them! Must admit I haven't heard of a vaccine, I'm just going on the assumption that if there was one, they wouldn't just forget/not be bothered to vaccinate their horses. Gotta be a reason.

I'm fairly sure if there was a vaccine, they would've used it... It definitily would've occured to them! Must admit I haven't heard of a vaccine, I'm just going on the assumption that if there was one, they wouldn't just forget/not be bothered to vaccinate their horses. Gotta be a reason.

A vaccine is available in the UK. No idea about elsewhere.

EI

The vaccine is available. Full stop. It's ignorance or arrogance by the powers that be that failed to see the correct measures taken. They feel that due to our remoteness we were not a threat and there for were irresponsible in setting aside the funds. It's called political knobjockies who are only interested in riding their own race and agenda.

When this all settles down I hope the animals get vaccinated properly. I am not a gambler but the racing industry is Australias 4 biggest industry, employing hundreds of thousands of people. I'd hate to see them lose their jobs and get stood down without pay for something that was out of their hands.

Hi -everyone - just to let you know they have declared the whole hunter tamworth area a restricted area. that means that we are all restricted for around 50 to 90 days. I am now officically stuck 500+ks from home and cannot return home with any of my horses and cannot earn an income until the movement bans are lifted.
Shamous 1 is right about the vaccine. because a knobjockie with a few hundred horses didn't want to pay for their horses to be vaccinated they decided that because of the distance that we are safe. the sad thing is its not those people with the hundred or so horses who are suffering but everyone with horses but especially those with a only a few will probably suffer the most. Just think of all the charities etc that use horses for fundraising and the huge donations they usually get from the horse racing industry that won't be coming in now! I definately hope they have enough sense to vaccinate now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back