er.. help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirov_grrl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hiya,
Its my understanding that the WA law has changed just recently (March 7) and it is now possible to own a reptile with a licence in WA. I am wondering if anyone would know how to find a suitable breeder, as its such a new law, there probably isn't many out there. :(

Would it be any easier to deal with the Department of Conservation and Land Management? (*grumble* government department) :evil:
I've asked our local vet, who was about as helpful as knickers on an avocado, so I'd hate to say you guys are my last hope, but you are!!!! :cry:

Looking forward to hearing your views,
Cheers

There are not many keepers on this site from WA I suspect so we will prolly be even more in the dark than you are.

The only suggestion I can make would be to find out about the requirements for importing into WA with the local authority and taking things from there.

There are lots of reputable dealers in the eastern states and Im sure most of us could recommend one or two to you should you decide that importing is the way to go.

cheers M.......

Hi Kirov,
There is a few reputable breeders that use this site.If interested they could always freight a reptile to you if you purchase an import permit from your states wildlife service.The best way to find a reliable dealer would be word of mouth.ask a few members here who has what for sale? what there stock is like?,are they healthy? etc etc you will soon learn that its a small world in the hobby and the best breeders are well known by all.

Hey guys,
thanks heaps for your advice, I'd kinda hit a brick wall.
I'm not a complete newbie to herpetology, but almost, my ex and I used to have a Royal Python when I lived in the UK, but I had to leave him there when I returned home to WA. But now that I've realised you can own them here too, I'm keen to get back into it... just didn't realise how hard it was!!!!
Will keep looking etc, so will let you know how it ends up, and hopefully I can help some other Westies along their path to owning a reptile!!

Cheers again :lol:

There is a member here by the name of west aussie, (I think), perhaps he could help you out some being in the same state and all. Look him up in the members list and message him.

Is there a zoo or reptile park around your area?
I know the reptile park at gosford has a list of breaders for us NSW folk.

hey there Kirov & other members.
This may be a bit long winded so bear with me.

Yes, the new regulations are now in place in W.A - with strict controls.
for a full species list & regulations you can contact me or my website at www.westaussiereptiles.com.au -the laws do allow you to import certain herpetofauna from over east, but frogs & pythons will not be allowed from other states because of the risk of chitrid fungus & I.B.D.

You will need to get a keepers permit (5 categories) from the department of conservation & land management (also downloadable from my site). You will then need to source these animals from a licenced breeder or dealer - there are very few at the moment, with "West Aussie Reptiles" leading the way.

You will have to be prepared for the high prices that these animals attract, as demand is far outstripping supply at the moment. We have even been approached by many eastern states breeders for orders of certain reptiles, but it is our policy to supply W.A keepers first - as we believe west aussies have been kept in the dark for way too long now!

For any Queries regarding west australian reptiles you can find me at ...
www.westaussiereptiles.com.au

Please excuse the website as it is far from complete & I spend more time in the bush than I do adding pages to this website - but I will keep updating , slowly.

Cheers

West Aussie

Hey West Aussie, I am from WA originally, NSW now. Do you kow Gayne Doyle (unsure of spelling) he is a mate of my step fathers. I believe he is setting up a herp zoo now with the new laws coming in.
Let me know when you have some Barroni's ready to go... I would love a pair of them some day.

Hi again,
Thanks westaussie and others for the advice.
Will have a bo-peep at your site westaussie, and you will probably hear from me again......
Cheers again, you guys have been pretty helpful :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back