EWD problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gocada

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, lately i have moved my ewd into an outdoor cage measuring roughly 4x3m and everything is fine apart from the fact it never recognizes its food unless its live and moving well, it completely ignores any fruit/veg, dead meat or sometimes even meal worms.
Previously in an indoor cage this was never a problem and he'd would go crazy for mango and mince, basically anything.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Hey Gocada, i don't think this will help you but i had a similiar problem when i first moved my juvenile ewd's outside aswell. But i quickly solved that by moving a blue tongue lizard out there with them, and by placing the food bowl in a position the ewd's can see clearly. Doesn't take long for the ewd's curiousity to get the better of them as they come down to suss out what the btl finds so delicious!
But in your situation, perhaps stress could be a contributing factor? How old is your ewd?

About 2 years old give or take a couple months, he has also been outside for almost 2 months now

I would think it is stress with its new surroundings. Is it hiding away, or spending most of its time in the one spot.

I've moved quite a few water dragons around. Some go off their food when you move them due to the stress of being in new surroundings. The temps may also be different switching from an indoor to an outdoor and it will take time to adjust. Just keep offering food, maybe try some different food and put it in a place he can see/ close to his favorite spot. Each dragon is different. Some adjust quickly, others don't. I have a couple that are quite sensitive to environmental changes. If he starts to drop weight and you're worried, you can assist feed. It's pretty easy to get a water dragon to open their mouth.
And this pretty much goes without saying, but I'll chuck it in anyway. If you suspect or he looks like he may be unwell, take him to a reptile vet as soon as possible. It's easier to pick up nasty diseases, parasites or accidental pesticide poisoning outside.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back