EWD questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bt1vn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi guys i have just purchased 2 EWDs on saturday and i have noticed that there are a few differences, i measured the length of them and 1 is approximately 18cm long including the tail and the other is 20cm long. the one that is longer has much brighter colouring than the smaller one, would this be a slight indicater that the bigger one would be male and the smaller slightly duller one is female or would it be that they are probably going to be from different clutches? i got them both from a pet store that had4 of them in the enclosure. they had heaps of lizards, hatchie snakes a few more mature snakes and lots of turtles.

oh, they have both just finished shedding as well. also if you guys could give me a rough idea in age that would be good i know its impossible to give an accurate date but within a month or 2 would be good thanks heaps guys

hi Bt1vn,
ok males will normally have a red chest but not always they have a bigger head and crown on it, the male is bigger than the females but in your case u have to take there ages into account.EWD grow fast so 20cm would be 1- 2 year old i think but under 3 years ! always change there water as they poo in it and always have clean water. i clean my water everyday. the one with the stronger colours will be male as females do have colour but for the most part are grey
iphone 4 t rex 023.jpgiphone 4 t rex 017.jpgiphone 4 t rex 020.jpgfist baby photos 002.jpgfist baby photos 006.jpgiphone 4 t rex 012.jpg
heres mine in there winter enclosure it is two levels

heres a few pics of the cheeky buggers the last two i was trying to get their chests without annoying them too much. one of them was wet in the pics. ill post some of the enclosure maybe in another thread in the diy section
EWD 003.jpgEWD 002.jpgEWD 004.jpgEWD 001.jpg
pencil.png

hi guys i have just purchased 2 EWDs on saturday and i have noticed that there are a few differences, i measured the length of them and 1 is approximately 18cm long including the tail and the other is 20cm long. the one that is longer has much brighter colouring than the smaller one, would this be a slight indicater that the bigger one would be male and the smaller slightly duller one is female or would it be that they are probably going to be from different clutches? i got them both from a pet store that had4 of them in the enclosure. they had heaps of lizards, hatchie snakes a few more mature snakes and lots of turtles.

oh, they have both just finished shedding as well. also if you guys could give me a rough idea in age that would be good i know its impossible to give an accurate date but within a month or 2 would be good thanks heaps guys

They both look under a year old. Probably hatched in Feb? The length difference is probably down to one being more dominant and taking all the food at the pet shop. The smaller one was probably more shy, and took a bit longer to become an established feeder.

The colours don't mean much. You can get colourful ones and drab ones from the same clutch, and it has no bearing on the animals sex. If one is a male, then you should start to see red colouring on the chest scales. Males will also have a thicker tail base. This can be seen even as hatchlings.

your EWD look like they were born late last year or this year ! i have 12 of these sized one atm !

i like ur enclosure just make sure theres not too much water in there as they can drown easy i learnt the hard way in there outdoor pond !!!

so maybe 5 to 6 months then? i dont want to argue but i thought that they were capable of staying under water for over half an hour at a time when they felt threatened?

Yes they can. They will even sleep overnight under water. At first their nostrils stick out above the water, but they end up sinking to the bottom during the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back