Ewdxgwd

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trunkibill

Reaction score
Is it possible for an EWD and a GWD be cross-bred? Not trying to beed just qurious about hybrids if its a thing or not and if so what would they be called?

@Herptology, Part of the definition of a species is that they can breed to produce viable and fertile offspring. Give these two lizards are subspecies of Intellagama lesueurii (the Australian Water Dragon), they most definitely can interbreed. It would be called an intra-specific hybrid or cross-breed. There is nothing to be gained by crossing theses two subspecies as the offspring lose the individual beauty of each type. Hence there is no common name for this cross (other than maybe ‘mutt’ or ‘mongrel’).

Personally, I am not a fan of crossing any different taxa. Why deliberately muddy the genetic waters any more than we have already? I can accept it when done responsibly and with a good reason, such as providing new food plants or animals. When people start mucking around with the genetics of wild populations however, I have a lot of difficulty justifying that. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back