Excess Saliva when yawning,

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Targett

Reaction score
Hi my jungle seems fine very active always eats handles well but on a rare occasion I catch the yawn and see alot of saliva in there but everything else seems fine breathing sounds good I'm wondering if it's worth going to the vet over or is it possible he just has a very hydrated mouth? This is the second time iv seen it in 3 months

'Very active'

Newbies always say this. Happy, healthy pythons aren't typically 'very active'. They spend most of their time doing nothing especially during the day. Could you describe the activity patterns of your Jungle? I'm trying to get a handle on what people mean when they say their python is 'very active'. If one of my pythons became very active I'd wonder what was wrong (unless it was a male in breeding season). If they're hungry and they can smell rats they frantically try to get to me (which is quite amusing in a room full of hungry snakes at feeding time). Pythons aren't typically very active creatures, they're not supposed to be if all is well.

Anyway, I have saliva in my mouth, you do too, snakes aren't so alien that they don't have saliva. It's difficult to say from your description if it's too much or just normal, but it sounds fine. I'd be more worried about a trip to the vet than saliva being in a mouth.

Last edited:
Back