Exo Terra size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firedrake

Reaction score
Once again my plans have been put on hold thanks to the damn mother and child in our house...SO I have just been informed I can no longer have a python in the house (in case it escapes and eats everyone at 30cm long :rolleyes:)....I did buy an ExoTerra 900x450x450 enclosure but now can't put what I planned in it. So what else would I be able to keep in it, but it has to have four legs and it can still be a reptile? I was thinking a Varanus caudolineatus but would there be enough room? I was hoping to breed them too if I was able, but it would be a while down the track. But if I can keep those, I'll have to start my research all over again...so if there's enough room for a couple of these little guys, any hints and tips on care and future breeding would be appreciated.

The area you are your able to keep them outside without any hassles at all. maybe contact pilbarapythons. Dave is really helpful and might even be able to put you onto some caudos.

that size enclosure would be fine for a single animal.

IMO i think thats too small for monitors. i planned to keep my ridge tails in a 3 foot until they grew larger, but they are so active i would prefer to go at least 4x2x2. but not saying people dont successfully keep and breed in that size. i highly recommend the book mike swans keeping and breeding australian lizards if you are looking at keeping monitors. going off the top of my head (correct if im wrong) but v.caudolineatus is an arboreal sp. and there for would prefer a taller tank. A V.brevicauda would be great (im very fond of this species lol). you could always surprise you fam with the pet you wanted :) worked with my dad lol good luck :p

Haha cad I think I would be thrown out of the house if I did that :( I can't keep them outside as THEY have two dogs that have successfully emptied our yard of all the herps that used to live here....
And a brevicauda is cat4 in WA...the only monitor I can keep according to the 2003 DEC keepers list is a stripe-tailed...

I wouldn't give up on a python if that's what I wanted. I'd just spring handle it in front of them, so they understood it wasn't dangerous.

My grandmother and grandfather are PETRIFIED of snakes, but let me have the snake out in front of them as long as they don't get too close. I've assured them that my exoterra is escape proof, also :)

Unfortunately this lady is the type to just throw anyone out of the house if she feels her opinions are being ignored...we had a huge fight about it, my idea was to take her to see some hatchies and show her that nothing so tiny is ever going to get out and kill her 6 month old child...she doesn't care. After hearing the story about those idiot americans and the two years old getting killed she's absolutely no way having a snake of any sort in the house...hell she reckons she didn't even know I was going to be keeping it inside...maybe if she'd ASKED a few QUESTIONS instead of just saying no and not giving a reason things may have gone a little smoother...BUT, that still leaves me with an empty enclosure and maybe if I can put her off with the fact I will have to breed BUGS for my new pal she might decide a snake isn't so bad lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back