Exotic boas discovered on the Gold Coast

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monix

Reaction score
Published: courier mail
Source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25064420-3102,00.html

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

TWO South American boa constrictors have taken up residence at an RSPCA refuge after being seized from a Gold Coast apartment.
The snakes, which are about 1.7m long, were confiscated by police at Burleigh Heads last week following a tip-off, and one person has been charged.

Worth about $40,000, the reptiles were being kept in a large plastic container with a few holes in the top, police said.

RSPCA state wildlife co-ordinator Janet Gamble said they were not in good condition and may not have survived much longer.

"They had no water and were seriously dehydrated. One is also suffering anaemia and they both have abrasions to their noses from bouncing about in a plastic container," Ms Gamble said.
Police are not sure how the snakes arrived on the Coast.

"It's very fortunate they were not released into the wild. Our climate is very similar to Central America (where constrictors are native) and if they turned out to be male and female they would have thrived," she said.

"They are listed as a category one international pest because of the disease they spread and the threat to native wildlife."

It is illegal to keep a boa constrictor as a pet and even zoos require a special permit.

"These guys can grow up to 4m long. They're pretty big beasts," Ms Gamble said.

The future of the snakes is unclear but police hope they will be placed with a zoo.

Ms Gamble said the RSPCA often cared for unusual creatures.

"I've had 21 bird-eating spiders dumped on my desk," she said.

0,,6489302,00.jpg

Worth about $40,000 :lol: Never let the truth get in the way of some sensationalism :)

Hahaha, you got that right boa! $40G? I think from memory, Columbian Boas run for about $150 bucks back home from memory, and that's Canada, where everything is expensive!!

The didnt mention the poor things were heavily mite infested also,
They came from tubs that ya wouldnt put a maccie in,

This is so disgusting.

yeah.. robyn is my least favorite reporter at news.com.au. and that is sayin alot. lol

40 grand,what a load of ......maybe 40bucks each,2 that gets caught another 100 get brought into the country..

Would you look how she is holding the snake! I laugh derisively at her. My snake knowledge is far superior! I don't know why these people bother for they are obviously not as good at snakology as people like us. Let's all pick pick pick at the article and feel smug behind our monitors!

(That's generally how these threads go)

With the numbers bred in this country I doubt anyone would bother bringing any in.

40 grand,what a load of ......maybe 40bucks each,2 that gets caught another 100 get brought into the country..

so the RSPCA has them at the moment... does anyone know where they will end up? euth or what zoo?
just curious

Nat ;) x

Would you look how she is holding the snake! I laugh derisively at her. My snake knowledge is far superior! I don't know why these people bother for they are obviously not as good at snakology as people like us. Let's all pick pick pick at the article and feel smug behind our monitors!

(That's generally how these threads go)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: bingo!!!!!!

With the numbers bred in this country I doubt anyone would bother bringing any in.

Too true. If you poke your nose around enough they are not that hard to come by. But 40 grand! give me a break!:rolleyes: Try under a $1000. Even an fully grown iguana isn't worth that much here!

Lol- it's sad they were kept in such small enclosures..but now the dude who kept 'em will be fined heftylike:)

Anyone looking at the article and seeing that they are worth 40k (which isnt true) will only encourage some people to smuggle or illegaly acquire exotics. If they stated that they were only worth say $1000 then people would be less inclined to look twice and ponder.

Snakes on a plane in the gold coast

$40,000 & up to 4 m in length-WOW! Could of been worse, could of been VENOMOUS CORN SNAKES!

Your right about that 40,000 price tag will make people import more

Pfft selfish, who knows what damn diseases they could have spread to our Australian wildlife grrrrrrrrrr, its made me grumpy.

Pfft selfish, who knows what damn diseases they could have spread to our Australian wildlife grrrrrrrrrr, its made me grumpy.
I would be surprised if they were "brought" in as babies when there are so many here already, I have heard of 2nd, third, & fourth generation "Aussie" boas.

a load of crap

Published: courier mail
Source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25064420-3102,00.html

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

all of this information is aload of crap as i no the person who owned the 2 boas. as for the $40,000 boas hahahahahaha what a joke, they were bred in melbourne and cost $300 each. and as for them living in a plastic tub with no water is all rubish aswell. the snakes had there own 4 by 4 bedroom to them selfs which had a massive bowl of water. they were only put in that plastic container when his mate was over and he had his son with him because his son was only 3 and didnt want him going in the room and hurting 1 of the snakes accidently, so max time they would spend in the container would be 12 hrs roughly and any1 who has owned snaked would no they can live with out water for days. the snakes were well looked after as they were like his kids. so theres the true story about the snakes. the media once again throwing made up figures and made up storys to make it all sound alot biger than what it really was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back