Exotic keepers - lets have a chat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlothHead

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of researching thoroughly the exotic debate.

This will go toward writing an article for Scales and tails in the coming months, (once i finally get it finished).

In order to do this article properly i have been speaking to various people from various places about the general idea of whether exotics should be or not be legalised and what are the problems associated.

So what i am after now is exotic keepers. It is evident that people on the forum keep exotics and possible breed and trade in them. So what i am hoping is for a few guys to give me a call.

I dont need your name or anything like that, just give me a call so we can have a chat about it. The aim here is to get the side of hte debate of

"Why I Keep exotics and do what i do is because ...."

Call generally anytime, except after big dog goes to bed. And have your say as to why you do it.

Firstly though, thankyou to those that have been taking the time to speak to me on this issue.

Thank you
Dustin
0407 015 739

Last edited:
That would definatly be an interesting read. Better and more conclusive then the jumble the people scribble on here. Looking forward to it

I hope you get a few calls Dustin, as I think that would be an interesting read.

Although I doubt that anyone keeping exotics would risk outing themselves.

well they dont really have to out themselves

just call from a mobile and hide your ID and just dont go into too many details away. I hope you get the calls you need Dustin and will be looking forward to your article

and before you get the wrong idea, no i dont keep exotics but they dam shore interest me!!

Thats right, no one is going to be outing themselves as i dont need anyones names, or addresses. The closest we get to pinning you down is knowing your state if you want to give that up.

But without people talking about it, then we can only speculate what the reasons are. By only speculating you allow the standard response of "exotic keepers are irresponsible and selfish" to continue

Dustin

The one thing I don't understand is why the rules for reptiles are different to other animals?
Nearly everyone keeps exotics, cats, dogs, rabbits, most pet birds, most pets in general kept are not native to australia. If they are not native what are they?
There are exotic reptiles that have been in Australia for many many years so if deseases is a concern it shouldn't be. I do agree not to import reptiles in, but what is already here is here.
The other thing I don't understand is that exotic reptiles as other reptiles are kept in an enclosure. Many other pets such as cats arn't and look at the damage they cause to our native wildlife, we are still aloud to keep and breed as many cats as we want with no ristrictions maybe they should be on licence.
If cats are aloud then I say yes to lepard geckoes!!!
At least if exotics were brought onto a licence system the numbers could be observed.
Why are exotic birds aloud and exotic reptiles not? Exotic birds are not even licenced.
In cold victoria most exotics wouldn't survive outside an enclosure so I would really like to know what risk an exotic reptile may cause??
Those that are agaist exotics often express their opinions on here and I always think, I bet they have an exotic pet of some sort and just don't think of it that way.

Lightning, the problem is you are looking at this issue logically, we are talking about a Government department here ;)

Lightning
If exotics got out into our environment it could be devastating to our native reptiles
I mean Australia is a reptile paradise.

Alot of exotics can out compete the natives for food, use the natives for food spread disease and so on.
and yes i am aware cats are a threat to our native animals but why add more pests to the mix?

Some species could do so well here they could erupt into plague numbers (like a certain introduced toad).

You hear of so many escape stories about reptiles that i don't think its worth the risk.

I mean i love some exotic species and would love to keep them but in my mind the natives come first.

just my opinion.

Thanks to who ever that was that just called - it is really appreciated, but i would like to talk to at least 10 people so that we can get a bit of a broad spectrum of views.

Thanks again
Dustin

Am really looking forward to reading this article, hope you get what you are after. Good luck with it Dustin.

Lightning
If exotics got out into our environment it could be devastating to our native reptiles
I mean Australia is a reptile paradise.

Alot of exotics can out compete the natives for food, use the natives for food spread disease and so on.
and yes i am aware cats are a threat to our native animals but why add more pests to the mix?

Some species could do so well here they could erupt into plague numbers (like a certain introduced toad).

You hear of so many escape stories about reptiles that i don't think its worth the risk.

I mean i love some exotic species and would love to keep them but in my mind the natives come first.

just my opinion.

Totaly Agree
Just imagine a plague of Boa's or anaconda's in Australia it would be devastating to out native herps. People should be happy with what we have in this beautiful country of ours

Lewy

I don't think people have any idea how many are out there. I worked in an aquarium with a reptile semifocus, and at least 1/3 of the reptile customers had exotic or unlicenced herps. They are everywhere.

There are many Exotic reptiles already in Australia and other than the cane toad have not done any harm to to the enviroment or our nativies to my knowledge.

The difference of the cane toad is that it was never ment to be a pet, it was introduced and people encoraged it to populate as can toads were used as a biological control agent. (It wasn't one pet that got out)

I just believe that if there were a permit avaliable for Exotic reptiles at least it wouldn't all be black market business. I think that there is more of a risk of them being let go into the wild when someone cant sell something leagally.

I'm not saying add more exotics, but they are already here and most have been for longer than any of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back