Exotic keepers - lets have a chat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon that licensed exotics would be one of the smarter ways we could go about this.

Many times i've seen people ask on this forum about corn snakes and the *** kicking they get is just unreal.
What if you scare them that bad that they get it in their head that you are going to do something about it
so instead of keeping the snake or handing it to some one that will "take care" of it, they just let it go in the bush?

Then when that happens you're all gonna be sitting there scratching your heads thinking to yourselves if they were on licence this might not have happend..

No, i do not own exotics and am not wanting to get any either.

But i do know people that have them and when i tell them that it's illegal in Aus they tell me that they will just let it go.

There are many Exotic reptiles already in Australia and other than the cane toad have not done any harm to to the enviroment or our nativies to my knowledge.

The difference of the cane toad is that it was never ment to be a pet, it was introduced and people encoraged it to populate as can toads were used as a biological control agent. (It wasn't one pet that got out)

I just believe that if there were a permit avaliable for Exotic reptiles at least it wouldn't all be black market business. I think that there is more of a risk of them being let go into the wild when someone cant sell something leagally.

I'm not saying add more exotics, but they are already here and most have been for longer than any of us.

Haven't done any damage yet. Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it wont happen. Fortunately the authorities have learnt from past problems form other animal groups like birds, fish, mammals and insects where an exotic species has run rampant in our ecosystem and done what they can to avoid it happening with reptiles.

That's not to say that it isn't already happening. When i was working as a snake catcher i found many snakes that were exotic to my area, who knows what they could have done to the gene pool. My predescessor and mentor had caught several corn snakes in darwin. Who knows what esle is out there in the wild.

The way you're talking about exotics you seem to think there is some big conspiracy going on just to reptile keepers. The fact is the government bodies are doing what they can to protect our ecosystem form any more damage. You would do well to realise that.

Bring on this study. I'd love to know what your findings are.

Edit:
Sorry i was'nt gonna make comment in this thread because it will just blow out into an argument but i guess it's too late for that. But bone headed attitudes like some that are being voiced here just about make me rage! Has anyone heard of what has happened in the Everglades? Or forgot about AHG's in North Australia? I mean serisouly, come on! I'd love to own some of the large vipers but unfortunately alot of people just can't be trusted to keep there pets in their cages. Learn form the past and be happy with what we've got.

Last edited:
There are many Exotic reptiles already in Australia and other than the cane toad have not done any harm to to the enviroment or our nativies to my knowledge.

Well there's sliders for one, maybe just maybe there aren't more because they are illegal, and numbers are somewhat reduced due to this??

What pollie is going to say "vote for me and I'll let rattlesnakes and 8 meter pythons". While the idea might find favor on this forum I don't think it would go down well in the real world.

You mean this isn't the real world Fuscus? With that attitude you mustn't be a true APSer. ;)

still fielding calls, so if you want to have your say then give us a call

Thanks
Dustin

We keep exotic reptiles everyday, everyone that keeps a reptile that is not native to their area is keeping an exotic to some degree.

Carpets being the most readily available you don't have plague proportions of them. If something is licensed I dont' see how it could be any worse than keeping ours.

D

Other exotics like cats kill our wildlife and they're not licenced, no numbers are kept either. I agree that if a licence is introduced for exotic reptiles then we'd have less problems because exotic breeders couldnt sell them to just anyone. and the government can keep track of the exotics numbers.

I agree that if a licence is introduced for exotic reptiles then we'd have less problems because exotic breeders couldnt sell them to just anyone. and the government can keep track of the exotics numbers.

Lol yes I'm sure all the people that are currently keeping them illegally, will suddenly play by the rules and only sell them to licensed keepers if they are legalised. :)

Lol yes I'm sure all the people that are currently keeping them illegally, will suddenly play by the rules and only sell them to licensed keepers if they are legalised. :)

Didn't you know that all native reptiles in Australia are held on licence? No one would be silly enough to keep them without a permit.

I find it strange that people think that their measly few years as a herp keeper overules the millenium of a natural habitat.

And then I remember the words ego and greed.

Done no damage?? Sliders to our local turt species.......Blue mountains and its corn snake beginnings......need i mention Burms and the everglades in the states.........

I didnt mean that all the illeagal breeders would suddenly go legit, but there market would dwindle if people could get them leagally. No one would buy one illigally if all they need is to pay a little cash to get a licence and no risk of fines or loosing the animal. Also not all exotic reptiles should be legalised, studies should be performed and the like. A few years ago i got the idea of keeping hamsters. I found they were illeagal here but i contacted the authorities and they told me that if i do a study to show what impact they would have on our environment they could be legalised if certain criteria was met.

Anyone who thinks that ANY exotic animal that is introduced to this country will be fine has rocks in there head
Yes other animals have been introduced over the years and look what that has done and for the people who have said that owning a native Australian snake in a state that there not found in is the same as having a exotic snake is also dreaming. If a diamond gets loose in the NT its just simply going to die But if a Boa or a corn snake or reticulated get out and breed then we are in trouble

People really need to have a think about what they are doing and not to be so ignorant to what could and would happen if these animals where to get out and breed in our country

There I have said what I wanted to say LOL

I just think it is interesting to compare the arguments here to the arguments posted a few months ago about the importation of the Savannah Cat. The company importing the cats was going to be very strictly licensed, the cats were going to only be sold neutered, they would have to be kept in escape-proof enclosures and all owners would be monitored.

The uproar here on APS alone was enormous with claims that they would eventually escape, irresponsible owners would dump them in the bush when they tired of them and they would decimate our wildlife.

But all of a sudden, now that we are discussing something that everyone wants (I mean c'mon, who wouldn't get a chameleon if they were legal?!) these exact same arguments are being ignored in favour of pretty pisspoor excuses - "But we already have heaps of exotics and they aren't doing any harm", "Legalising it will bring it off the black market and allow it to be regulated" and my personal favourite "There are already heaps of other non-native species like CATS :shock: and RABBITS :shock: here, so why not exotic reptiles?"

Really, haven't we learnt our lesson? Just because mistakes have been made in the past regarding importation of exotics, doesn't mean that we should keep doing it because you want a boa!!!

I didnt mean that all the illeagal breeders would suddenly go legit, but there market would dwindle if people could get them leagally. No one would buy one illigally if all they need is to pay a little cash to get a licence and no risk of fines or loosing the animal. Also not all exotic reptiles should be legalised, studies should be performed and the like. A few years ago i got the idea of keeping hamsters. I found they were illeagal here but i contacted the authorities and they told me that if i do a study to show what impact they would have on our environment they could be legalised if certain criteria was met.

You have a very simplistic view on our hobby. Have a read of my above tongue in cheek comments. There are numerous people who own currently obtainable reptiles illegally ergo aussie natives that are not on permit.

I just think it is interesting to compare the arguments here to the arguments posted a few months ago about the importation of the Savannah Cat. The company importing the cats was going to be very strictly licensed, the cats were going to only be sold neutered, they would have to be kept in escape-proof enclosures and all owners would be monitored.

The uproar here on APS alone was enormous with claims that they would eventually escape, irresponsible owners would dump them in the bush when they tired of them and they would decimate our wildlife.

But all of a sudden, now that we are discussing something that everyone wants (I mean c'mon, who wouldn't get a chameleon if they were legal?!) these exact same arguments are being ignored in favour of pretty pisspoor excuses - "But we already have heaps of exotics and they aren't doing any harm", "Legalising it will bring it off the black market and allow it to be regulated" and my personal favourite "There are already heaps of other non-native species like CATS :shock: and RABBITS :shock: here, so why not exotic reptiles?"

Really, haven't we learnt our lesson? Just because mistakes have been made in the past regarding importation of exotics, doesn't mean that we should keep doing it because you want a boa!!!

Dame that was very well said it just a pity that not every one can be like us and care for our ecological systems

Lewy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back