Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think having them on a licence system defeats the purpose of the so called "wildlife" licence system we have now... which is useless.
If exotics are to be legal, they should use a similar system (a template) like the fish importing and exporting industry.

I know of a guy that was keeping a (I believe to be a small Boa) at his step fathers house until his step dad was telling his friend about having a snake with know knowledge of it being highly illegal, after being informed he very promptly kick the snake and step son out.
Cheeky bastard.

There are Exotics everywhere but as ive learnt you need to know the right people, i used to own a boa
I dont see the harm in people owning exotics, there already here so whether charlie bob or jack has them who cares, but that is my personal opinion, I like Exotic animals i would love to have a ball python or alligator snapping turtle or simply own an Albino python, had a look at one today near 3m Albino Olive they wanted $9000 for it,
I dont think anything is going to stop people having Exotics there already illegal theres not much else they can do, Tasers are illegal to but people still sell them, its impossible

I think having them on a licence system defeats the purpose of the so called "wildlife" licence system we have now... which is useless.
If exotics are to be legal, they should use a similar system (a template) like the fish importing and exporting industry.

I think the licensing system was proven to just be about the money when they let the exotic gtp on there. What's the difference between a gtp from png or a ball python from Africa ? Or for that case a jag from USA!

Last edited:
I think the licensing system was proven to just be about the money when they let the exotic gtp on there. What's the difference between a gtp from png or a ball python from Africa ? Or for that case a jag from USA!
GTPs naturally occur in QLD, too. There's only a bit of genetic difference between PNG and Aus GTPs, they're both GTPs.
Ball Pythons aren't even close to Aussie pythons

GTPs naturally occur in QLD, too. There's only a bit of genetic difference between PNG and Aus GTPs, they're both GTPs.
Ball Pythons aren't even close to Aussie pythons

I think your missing the point if these exotic gtp got into the iron bark range it would be just as damaging IMO I don't think a ball python or corn snake getting lose in qld is anymore damaging then an inland carpet getting lose if anything the inland is at a higher risk because of cross breeding with the coastals.

the government needs to do the same as they did with the guns...make an amnesty to hand them in or make application to keep under the proviso they are desexed (i presume they could be desexed) after the amnesty any one caught with one should face 10 to 15 years in prison and never be able to hold a wildlife licence for life, any one caught selling one should face 20 to 25 years and never to hold a wildlife licence for life, this would be a big deterant for someone thinking of buying one i know i would never do it, and people who give information to the authorities that ends in a conviction should be given a lifetime licence or some other reward, if it worked over a period of time they would disappear from our shores, by the way i do like the exotic snakes but wish they wernt in oz, we have such beautiful snakes n reptiles here and they should be protected to the max, ive read on so many other sites from overseas that most keepers would love to have our pythons in there collection and the ones they can get esp in the states realy look ordinary to the beautiful pythons that we have access to..... sorry to rant on but i just love my country and its diversity and would love to erradicate all exotic animals from our landscape... cheers Jenno

Been offered/Seen them, hell when i was 16 we had a Snapping turtle at work later the shop got closed down lol. Most interesting i think ive seen was probably a trio of vipers, although thats subjective i guess.

Last edited:
the government needs to do the same as they did with the guns...make an amnesty to hand them in or make application to keep under the proviso they are desexed (i presume they could be desexed) after the amnesty any one caught with one should face 10 to 15 years in prison and never be able to hold a wildlife licence for life, any one caught selling one should face 20 to 25 years and never to hold a wildlife licence for life, this would be a big deterant for someone thinking of buying one i know i would never do it, and people who give information to the authorities that ends in a conviction should be given a lifetime licence or some other reward, if it worked over a period of time they would disappear from our shores, by the way i do like the exotic snakes but wish they wernt in oz, we have such beautiful snakes n reptiles here and they should be protected to the max, ive read on so many other sites from overseas that most keepers would love to have our pythons in there collection and the ones they can get esp in the states realy look ordinary to the beautiful pythons that we have access to..... sorry to rant on but i just love my country and its diversity and would love to erradicate all exotic animals from our landscape... cheers Jenno

Unfortunately that's just not going to happen. We live in a country where you could probably beat a dog to death with a crowbar in the middle of a shopping centre and the most you'd get would most likely be a fine. The laws in regards to animals in general in this country are disgustingly lax, especially when it comes to protecting them, whether they're companion animals or native wildlife. Also, you have to remember that even if a desexed animal got out, it could still cause huge amounts of havoc with our ecosystem, if only for the rest of its lifespan.
I agree with you though Jenno, sure there are some really beautiful animals overseas, but I think the sheer diversity of our wildlife just takes the cake, Aussie animals are just awesome:D

Last edited:
I find the suggestion of preventing people with illegal animals getting a license as a punishment hilarious...because....like they care if they don't have a license hahaha...ahhh funny

i don't own exotics but the way i see it in reality 85% of the people hear would love to own an exotic reptile if they were legal to obtain in oz, and if one is offered and its already in Australia, probs being looked after in the wrong conditions and if u like it and always wanted say a chameleon why not buy it and give it a good life in the wright conditions because its not like the person that originally got it into aus are going to send it back to south America or Asia if they cant sell it, its just gona sit around in poor/wrong conditions till someones interested and that could be a while

i don't own exotics but the way i see it in reality 85% of the people hear would love to own an exotic reptile if they were legal to obtain in oz, and if one is offered and its already in Australia, probs being looked after in the wrong conditions and if u like it and always wanted say a chameleon why not buy it and give it a good life in the wright conditions because its not like the person that originally got it into aus are going to send it back to south America or Asia if they cant sell it, its just gona sit around in poor/wrong conditions till someones interested and that could be a while

Because that only encourages the original importer to go and bring in more, because there's a market. That's basically the same justification people use to buy puppies from pet shops all the time. As unfortunate as it is, some animals will have to suffer in order to change the situation, because the only way they will stop is if there is no market for it.

Sorry, but that is just too Orwellian. 10-15 year just for possession? Ridiculous. But let's not get too carried away. In the USA a woman can get thrown into prison for possessing a small quantity of heroin. But that same woman can have an abortion for *any* reason and nothing happens. In that case, then nothing should happen if she is caught with heroin either. Both are "moral" crimes.

In Australia a 50kg woman is only allowed to fist fight a 100kg man, she is not allowed to have a gun, and if she is caught with a firearm she gets locked up. But if she kills her unborn child, nothing happens. It's this sort of paradox that frustrates the living daylights out of me. Perhaps I am OK with abortion, but only if ALL of our basic human rights are respected by the government, not just abortion rights - which appears to be the case as of now.

Just like the one above. Since we can already have dogs and cats, then keeping an exotic I consider a "moral" crime. Since we've already allowed the most destructive fauna into the country already don't you think it's a bit of a farce to put that sort of nonsense on the general population?

Laws like this clearly wont work, so the only logical scenario is to allow them under very strict license conditions. Yes, I would allow corns to be kept, but only on a strict provisional license and any breaches would be dealt with by heavy fines or loss of license and animals.

We need to get rid of this Orwellian crap before it does so much damage to our civilisation that it becomes irreversible - well, I think that's already happened anyway.

You can not be serious?!? Hahaha. 20-25 years for selling a corn snake?!?!? That's more than what people get for MURDER!! What a joke lol

They are all ready here so make a market out of them Licence them whether they are turtles, snakes, lions, monkeys the 5hits already here if you know where to look and the zoos have them and occasionly there animals escape. Let what ever into the country as far as animals are concerned. they are letting in all different types of humanoid like creatures and they are gunna stuff Australia quicker than any corn snake or lion.

You can not be serious?!? Hahaha. 20-25 years for selling a corn snake?!?!? That's more than what people get for MURDER!! What a joke lol

I was going to say lol.... I could murder someone and get less.

Lots of corns in bathurst.. not to mention an illegal boa and corn trade being run out of here..

I wanna dob but theyd know its me from all my lectures as to why exoctics are illegal and "youre never coming to my house in case you leave your dirty exotic bacteria near my snakes" ..

P.s. i dont understand the appeal in ball pythons.. they dont do anything and they are chode looking things with duck heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back