Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Leopard Gex out that way? I sold some herps to a guy not long ago that offered to do a swap for an iguana and some Leo hatchlings (I needed the cash to buy other native animals so didn't accept). I used to keep Leopard geckos when I lived in the USA and they are the only exotic I could ever be tempted by. IMO there is no native Aussie lizards that is as well suited to captivity as Leos. They are pretty close to the perfect captive reptile.

Last edited:
Any Leopard Gex out that way? I sold some herps to a guy not long ago that offered to do a swap for an iguana and some Leo hatchlings (I needed the cash to buy other native animals so didn't accept). I used to keep Leopard geckos when I lived in the USA and they are the only exotic I could ever be tempted by. IMO there is no native Aussie lizards that is as well suited to captivity as Leos. They are pretty close to the perfect captive reptile.

yeah i here ya and i love the adult size of them. And when they riggle there tail so cute. Ive never owned one but have family that have kept them overseas and was fortunatee enough to handle them and i have to admit i was shocked with how docile they are.

Yep as I said there is no equivalent Aussie reptile. We have the best snakes, dragons and skinks but nothing compares to the colours, temperament, size and ease of keeping of Leos.

yeah i here ya and i love the adult size of them. And when they riggle there tail so cute. Ive never owned one but have family that have kept them overseas and was fortunatee enough to handle them and i have to admit i was shocked with how docile they are.

P.s. i dont understand the appeal in ball pythons.. they dont do anything and they are chode looking things with duck heads

I'd agree with that, my womas look MUCH nicer than any ball I've ever seen including the hi-orange ones. I've seen ball pythons in the flesh including hi-orange albino ones, and I'll say they don't really excite me that much, certainly not as much as corns, and of course no where near as much as nice RHD womas!

the only exotic stuff I like is chameleons, iguana etc but I would never be tempted to keep one here.
I think our snakes are the best in the world.

I saw leopard geckos in germany and a dwarf caiman they would be my 2 picks for the best captives the dwarf caiman was fully grown at just over 3.5 feet.

Just to put another spin on things. Assault rifles, auto-machine pistols etc., or pot heroin and speed, are illegal but many nefarious types out there have them however Ma and Pa cant have them due to laws. Point being if you really want something and go hunting for it you will find it. So the question is really to regulate, and maybe have half a chance of knowing what the problem is and therefore be able to take appropriate measures to control it, or have the government make it illegal and pat themselves on the back every year they don't find them using this as positive evidence that they are doing their job and have control of things. Nice idea however doesn't really work in reality.
I agree there are far too many f*(&wits out there so control is needed so as far as other ideas presented in this thread for a licensing system also add that the animal should be handed in upon its death as to ensure animals are accounted for and obvious fine/punishments put in place if not followed. Also if practical, and on cost of the owner, supply genetic information to a database as to ensure it is the same animal handed in as licensed.
We have the technology and brains (I say this wearily) to be able to put in place a system where people can keep exotics and probably have more knowledge and control of what is actually out there but in the end it makes governments more to make things illegal so there is little chance of any of the above (guns, drugs or exotics) being made legal in the near future.

If I didn't have a license already, I would keep exotics if given the opportunity to obtain them. However with a license in WA, DEC can inspect my place at anytime and makes owning exotics too much of a risk. I almost regret getting a license as I cant even keep a diamond, jungle or RSP in WA.

I know tell me about it, me and the Misses really want diamonds. Wish we started the reptile collection when in QLD.
Not much of a veriaty here in WA,

In my opinion..................
The licencing regulations in this country are ludicrous. It's sole purpose is another government method of revenue raising. I do say this slightly tongue in cheek because IF MANAGED correctly the system is workable and controllable. Most of the DEC employees have no idea whatsoever about reptile care, never mind anything to do with OPMV or DPS and the likes. They are unable to offer advice or guidance and do nothing to check on the conditions of captive animals.
I have lived in Oz for 11 years but have been keeping and breeding snakes that you refer to as exotics for almost 20 years prior to coming here yet I have never kept any venomous reptiles and do not really have the desire to. In my 30 years as a reptile hobbyist I have kept Burm's, Boa's, Red Tails, Kings, and even Anacondas and Retic's and NEVER.......NOT ONCE did I have any escape!! Is this down to luck or good management?
So why should someone who is prepared to break the law be able to keep the types of reptile I adore while I can not? Is this fair? A good system where the animals must be registered and micro chipped.(surely technology now will give us the ability to fit the chip with a GPS tracker??). Checks done by the DEC, (who could actually do some real work for their pay for once) checks that are beneficial to the people who pay their wages....US and the animals they allegedly protect!!
I recently purchased a beautiful Diamond from a keeper in Victoria. When I went to pick up the reptile I bought everything he was selling, not because they were so good but to give them some decent care as they were kept in the most horrific conditions I have ever seen. (Sold on this site). If DEC was doing their job could this situation have been controlled? Of course it could, some basic lessons learned in a training program for new keepers and a once a year spot check from someone with experience would keep keepers like this out of our hobby or at least give them the skills to participate properly without harming the animals. Anyone who really loves looking after reptiles I believe would gladly undertake a training course that would satisfy the animals basic requirements.
The US is all ready to ban the importation of Burms and Rock pythons because of the alleged issues in the Everglades yet there are reputable herpetologists say there is no problem as these animals can not survive the conditions in this area outside of summer. There are many exotic reptiles that could be kept in this country with zero impact on the natural fauna as they would not survive the conditions. Many US snake keepers are afraid that this is the start of the end for the hobby, the nanny state taking over.......Is that not what we are living in?
Many Australians break the law every year and take to killing the native fauna just because it happens to wander into an area that makes the citizen feel uncomfortable with little if any repercussions from DEC even though these animals are protected. We are destroying the natural habitats of our own fauna so quickly that within the next generation it is possible that no one will be able to take any fauna from the wild. What will happen to the genetics of our beloved snakes with the gene pool so weakened from inter breeding. And all this in a country that loves to murder animals as a hobby!!!!
Just to finish off my rant.................venomous reptiles in the US are strictly controlled and it can take a keeper 5 years to complete the relevant training yet here it is possible to keep some of the most venomous reptiles in the world just by obtaining a licence and paying the fee, sound like a logical control to you? Maybe the yanks should just put similar controls in place for these big pythons that they have in place for venomous?

i honestly don't think that many exotic snakes pose much of a threat to native species anyway. in fact i could see many exotics becoming a nice little snack for some of our natives.

from what i've seen exotic species only really seem to become a problem if there is some area in the ecosystem where they could take advantage of however in terms of corn snakes, ball pythons and other similar snakes i couldn't really see anyway they could really pose a problem for native species.

maybe test could be done where someone tags a small amount of exotics and release them into the wild in different areas (not close enough to each other so that they can breedith each other) and see how well they survive..? however i could definatly see that posing problems.

i could also see many exotics having difficulty surviving due to their weird and "wonderfull" colour and pattern mutations. I could see some of the larger pythons posing a risk though...

anyway i think quite a few exotics look pretty stuiped especially ball pythons. the only exotics i think i kinda cool are the hognose and retic.

however in terms of corn snakes, ball pythons and other similar snakes i couldn't really see anyway they could really pose a problem for native species.

Ball pythons, I don't see how they could become a real problem, but corn snakes are likely a different matter. Ball pythons are a tropical species, so likely won't cause major issues, but I'm still playing a guessing game here.

Corn snakes are a temperate species. Here they could survive just about anywhere on the east coast. If enough of them are released, which is possible if they are traded as pets, they could cause problems if they got out of control.

Let's sort out the appalling spelling and grammar in this country before we start worrying about the 'big' issues of keeping exotics......

I could see a population of wild Burmese Pythons becoming an issue to our natives hahaha I love exotics, people say ours a more attractive blah blah awesome, everyone has an opinion but I couldnt disagree more. But I think the laws in place are great and here for a reason. Just look at the problems Florida are having with Burms. If we could legally have exotics I'd be the first in line. How many licenced owners here release their snakes? No one I know off. If I paid $2000 for an albino Burm im not gunna let it go when it gets to big and create problems in our ecosystem. In my opinion, Americas problem is they arent licenced and in control like our snakes. You can just walk into a shop, buy a snake, get bored and let it go. Basically what Im saying is, I can see an exotic reptile licence working the same as our current licences without any danger to Australia. Just my 2 cents

In my opinion..................
The licencing regulations in this country are ludicrous. It's sole purpose is another government method of revenue raising. I do say this slightly tongue in cheek because IF MANAGED correctly the system is workable and controllable. Most of the DEC employees have no idea whatsoever about reptile care, never mind anything to do with OPMV or DPS and the likes. They are unable to offer advice or guidance and do nothing to check on the conditions of captive animals.
I have lived in Oz for 11 years but have been keeping and breeding snakes that you refer to as exotics for almost 20 years prior to coming here yet I have never kept any venomous reptiles and do not really have the desire to. In my 30 years as a reptile hobbyist I have kept Burm's, Boa's, Red Tails, Kings, and even Anacondas and Retic's and NEVER.......NOT ONCE did I have any escape!! Is this down to luck or good management?
So why should someone who is prepared to break the law be able to keep the types of reptile I adore while I can not? Is this fair? A good system where the animals must be registered and micro chipped.(surely technology now will give us the ability to fit the chip with a GPS tracker??). Checks done by the DEC, (who could actually do some real work for their pay for once) checks that are beneficial to the people who pay their wages....US and the animals they allegedly protect!!
I recently purchased a beautiful Diamond from a keeper in Victoria. When I went to pick up the reptile I bought everything he was selling, not because they were so good but to give them some decent care as they were kept in the most horrific conditions I have ever seen. (Sold on this site). If DEC was doing their job could this situation have been controlled? Of course it could, some basic lessons learned in a training program for new keepers and a once a year spot check from someone with experience would keep keepers like this out of our hobby or at least give them the skills to participate properly without harming the animals. Anyone who really loves looking after reptiles I believe would gladly undertake a training course that would satisfy the animals basic requirements.
The US is all ready to ban the importation of Burms and Rock pythons because of the alleged issues in the Everglades yet there are reputable herpetologists say there is no problem as these animals can not survive the conditions in this area outside of summer. There are many exotic reptiles that could be kept in this country with zero impact on the natural fauna as they would not survive the conditions. Many US snake keepers are afraid that this is the start of the end for the hobby, the nanny state taking over.......Is that not what we are living in?
Many Australians break the law every year and take to killing the native fauna just because it happens to wander into an area that makes the citizen feel uncomfortable with little if any repercussions from DEC even though these animals are protected. We are destroying the natural habitats of our own fauna so quickly that within the next generation it is possible that no one will be able to take any fauna from the wild. What will happen to the genetics of our beloved snakes with the gene pool so weakened from inter breeding. And all this in a country that loves to murder animals as a hobby!!!!
Just to finish off my rant.................venomous reptiles in the US are strictly controlled and it can take a keeper 5 years to complete the relevant training yet here it is possible to keep some of the most venomous reptiles in the world just by obtaining a licence and paying the fee, sound like a logical control to you? Maybe the yanks should just put similar controls in place for these big pythons that they have in place for venomous?

they have proved that they do last the summer and found there eggs and hatchlings

we can own macaw's, african gray parrrot, axolotl's and ostrich and i am shaw there alot more i have not iclueded. I would like to see land tortoise added to the ezy list as i love them and i can not see them having a big threat to the Australian eviroment.

we can own macaw's, african gray parrrot, axolotl's and ostrich and i am shaw there alot more i have not iclueded. I would like to see land tortoise added to the ezy list as i love them and i can not see them having a big threat to the Australian eviroment.

Are you Shaw?

One thing I would like to see is Salamander and Newts legalized because we have axolotls here and I have a Morphed Axolotl, I know for a face that there are tiger salamanders being sold as morphs also, but I don't see what harm they could do considering they don't live in a climate quite like Australias

At least 10,000 corns in Australia.

Don't ask me where I heard it cause I don't remember.

ive been offered normal and albino burmese, king and milk snakes amazing how they get past the border

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back