Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary to think of Burmese loose in this country when they are already out-competing all the top predators in south-east America.

I read a couple of pages back something about a cool off period... It's called the government. And I've handled a fair few exotics... Corns are nice, but I still prefer Ball Pythons. And Burms are really lovely snakes, great temperment for such big suckers, nothing like scrubbies. I'm definitely not disregarding our natives, I love mine to death, but if I could I would, and it is really just the close mindedness and predisposed hate towards snakes that leaves little consideration for what us keepers want. But the only thing the government has ever put that much effort into is identifying tax evaders... It doesn't benefit them in any real way, so they won't bother with it. But as much as I love them, I'd like to see the states develop a cohesive unified system, rather than all this state law BS.
Cheers Skinner

Some mentioned if they could own a dog,why not a fox! Ive had a fox :D sadly i had to give him to a friend as i was in fear that someone who knew i had him would dob me in and they would take him away.

You all say you were offered this or that? I would like to offer you all a cuppa and biscuits if i could just make up my mind on which snake to buy haha :p Just trying to throw a little humour out there lol

we can own macaw's, african gray parrrot, axolotl's and ostrich and i am shaw there alot more i have not iclueded. I would like to see land tortoise added to the ezy list as i love them and i can not see them having a big threat to the Australian eviroment.
we can't own ostriches...

Logic

Hi all,

I rarely feel the urge to respond to threads but occasionally there is a moment when a little fresh perspective is worthwhile. Firstly yes there are all sorts of exotics available in Australia. . Ferrets, Palm squirrels, People, dogs, cats, cows etc etc but the truth above and beyond is economics. I stopped keeping reptiles over 20 years ago due to the hypocrisy of the governing bodies and the conflicting arguments they used to justify there actions, ie not allowed to catch wild life (as they are protected) but you can run them over and destroy there habitat to build yet another shopping center or housing estate (because you A. paid the required permits or be was friends with the right person (like woolworths in Maleny) or a number of other questionable aspects with $$ signs ). The examples could go on indefinitely but the end result is you the average guy or gal that does not have a fist full of dollars and mix in the right circles have little to no impact on decision making. The current discussion of softening drug laws is a great example of not listening to reason and just saying NO! (yes Jullia said no.) Is the publics safety a concern or is there more to it, look at how pot was made illegal and you then realise that it's economics ie the cotton and timber industry would be effected as hemp is a greater and more diverse product (both timber and cotton industries are destructive to the environment but billion dollar businesses). There are so many factors at work on the higher levels that no rational argument from the public is able to over come. The fact is people will allways be divided in opinion and that is the benefit of being born with the ability to think and reason on an individual level but the problem is people are easily manipulated and those that are will fervently defend that belief. I lived behind Aust zoo last year and definitely found a couple of interesting things (for another discussion) but what I found had little to no impact on the immediate environment as much as the Cattle over the road or the Local golf course or the Pineapple farms sucking the life out of Coochin creek or the deforestation for that new housing estate. The examples are many but it comes down to one point economics. So until people are able to think past what is preached to them buy the very bodies that have vested interests in keeping things the way things are (media, council etc) nothing will change. As for myself in the last few years I kept and breed a select amount of Herps again - mostly morphs and my caging requirements exceed the average size and all are kept in environments that replicate nature. I am not going to argue either for or against exotics but i think the bigger picture needs to be addressed before we could rationally argue any point.

Kam

Last edited:
i believe if you can prove your a trusted license holder you should be aloud to keep some exotic snakes.. so many amazing exotic pythons and snakes out there i would love to own and have apart of my collection :)

Make certain species an R5 in NSW. That will make you have to keep natives including elapids for atleast five years before purchasing an exotic.

I do not have any interest in exotics. Just putting it out there for those who do.

The government should just have a separate license for exotic reptiles and that way they can make some money from it , then call an amnesty .
Big fat cat politicians have money in pocket so they are happy
We get to keep burmese pythons we are happy = win win

yay lets have exotics in Australia i totally agree

after all Cane Toads were such a resounding success story and should be held up as an example for allowing non local creatures into this wonderful country

nothing like having a few burmese pythons loose in Kakado just like they are loose in the everglades **thumbs up**

L0L and we still cannot even own a cane toad so that tell's you how much of a chance you have.

I think a lot of people's views here are skewed largely on a few factors being:
-Thinking you are in an exclusive club because you hold a wildlife license
-Thinking the government bodies who control the licensing system actually give a hoot about you, the native wildlife and your collection.

The NPWS/DECC or whatever other entity they go by really couldn't care less about the reptile keeping hobby, it's just another way to milk a few $$ out of people wanting to keep native wildlife which they could probably catch in their own backyards. You have to undergo no checks, no form of testing or any other basic paperwork to receive your license.....Applying for a reptile license online takes less than 5 minutes if you have a credit card.
How can they claim that their top goal is conservation when they don't even check to see if an applying licensee has given the correct information? For all they know/care I could be out there buying up reptiles to skin and make in to belts.

But in relation to exotics I don't think they should ever be allowed to be kept in Australia, Yes there are some amazing exotics, I have had close contact with a few including king cobras while overseas but I think allowing even non-venomous species to be kept by private keepers is only going to make an already redundant system harder to maintain.
On the other side of the coin I think some exhibits/Zoos have been given way too much leeway in what they are keeping and breeding(King Cobras, Green Anas etc). One of these places(I won't name names) burned down a fair few years ago and the local papers ran a story on it, Firefighters claimed there were snakes slithering out of the compound while it was burning....It burned to the ground and they rebuilt mainly on donations of live animals from other zoos and private keepers only to breed them and resell them to the public, just another instance of how greasing the right palms will let you bend the rules as far as you like.

Here's an idea, if your really that inclined to own an exotic, buy a zoo or better yet, work at one that has them and you get to look after them! legally.

The sole most important reason we can't keep exotics in Australia is for conservation. You might justify that we should be able to keep some species that are from different environments to Australia but that's a big steaming load...
Australia arguably has the highest reptile diversity in the world, although I'm sure if splitters in central/south america went as hard as ours some countries would catch up. This diversity can be largely attributed to the diversity in climate and habitat within Australia which has allowed for greater opportunity for speciation. The broad array of habitats and climatic zones eg: tropical rainforest, desert, tropical savannah etc. have the potential to support exotic reptiles from nearly anywhere should they get a foothold in a suitable environment.
It's simply not worth the risk to our fauna and any amount of discussion or justification from ignorant keepers isn't likely to change that.

people keep rabbits and cats and mice and rats, all pest's.

Would I like some exotics?
Sure

Would I keep some exotics?
Sure

Do I think it's worth the risk to native fauna?
No

The last one is the one I think of most.

Call me strange, but I love Australian reptiles and have no desire to ever keep an exotic species. Although I do find exotics interesting. I'd love to go herping in Africa, South America, Sri Lanka, India and so on.

Working with exotics at a zoo is awesome, it eliminates the desire to keep them at home. Australian species are in high demand overseas and have been for years- we are the lucky country for reptiles! We are spoilt for choice, especially since designer morphs are taking off here from home grown projects. If your a whinger and want exotics at home no arguments thats fair enough- there are plenty of countries that allow them as pets you can move to.

Australia is a unique country, we have wonderful animals of all types here.
Our flora and funa are already threatened by rabbits, foxes, cane toads, introduced plants (I'm not a plant person) we have already lost the bilby, we are losing animals very quickly because of the cane toads. Why would u want these exotic animals to have a chance to be introduced to our unique environment and damage it even more. I love some extotics but I will never own them here, not when I know the damage that the already introduced specieshave done to our land. all you need to do is watch those animal cops shows based in America, they constantly have to rescue ball pythons, anacondas, and boas that have escaped n caused damage to their environment, or even worse, ppl let these animals go bcos they can't handle them! It's ridiculous!!! I watched one episode where the boa ate three large dogs from the community, three large dogs means it could easily eat chn!! Crazy!!

Florida has changed its laws about importing and breeding extotics, as they have found the extent of the damage done to their environment, it's much like ours. Unique!

To all the ppl out there who own these exotic animals, please consider the damage these animals can do to our environment, don't breed them and please please discourage anyone from buying them! I don't want australia to become a place where our next generation say "remember what it was like before the cane toads, the boss, the ball pythons" it's not fair!

As far as the licensing goes..... We are allowed to breed pit bulls as long as we can prove the environment in which they are brought up. Makes sure these animals are not dangerous, without a license. And I know some states have changed this.... Why not change the licensing laws for reptiles!! Makes sense to me, there at many ppl out there who just don't know about reptiles and there husbantory.... Just joining those site opened my eyes to many things I had no idea about! It should at least be made mandatory u join a herpological society before u r allowed to buy a reptile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back