Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine was raided, charged and fined for owning and breeding albino boa's in victoria. he can no longer hold a wildlife licence and gets visits from police and dse to check that he is not up to his old ways!
as much as i love the look of exotics we can not risk the possibilty of their accidental release, imagine something like the snakehead (fish) in our waterways let alone exotic pythons or exotic elapids. carp, cane toads, rabbits and foxes (im sure there are plenty more i'v missed) have done their fair share of destruction in our country without "accidently" having more unwanted ferals!
ohh and lets not forget the good old feline!!!

I have a friend that had a corn snake hatchling that ascaped so I think that if we are to have exotics that we should have them de sexed first if thats even possible and they should also be Quaranteened upon entry

Alright...
I'm finally going to say this.

I have't told anyone on here before cause I know how bad these things can get out of hand.

A couple of years ago I found some paperwork stating that I could own exotics.
Under these conditions..... blah blah blah.

I rang up the DSE and asked what the chances of me getting the licence is because everyone has told me you "just can't own them" so why don't they know about this certain licence.

The lady couldn't answer my question so she put me through to some other guy who told me,
something along the lines of... (like a I said this was a couple of years ago)

The reason not many people know wbout the licence is because we don't tell anyone about it.

Si I asked him can I have a private exotic licence and he said no.

I asked why and his reply was you just can't, I said I have paperwork here stating that I can.

Anyway this went on for a while, he then gave me another number to ring, he said this is the guy who deals with the licenceing of all the exotics, the big man of the whole thing.

I rang and asked why I cannot have the licence, when I have paperwork saying that I can.
He too just said that I cant.

Unless I am a Zoo, wildlife this wildlife that, circus etc.

Which I told him, that's catorgory 1, I want a private exotic licence catagory 3.

He basically said you can apply but I wouldn't get it unless it's appoved by the minister, I said well I'll do an enclosure and get him to look at it.

He got frustrated and said look, you won't get it and went on about the eco system and dishonest people.
He told me that he would like to keep exotics, but not even he would get it.

I got tired of it so I quit.

If anyone wants the paperwork PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back