Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all just wondering about everyones opinions on having exotic species in australia. Seeing that albino reticulated python by son of ash, its so stunning. Do you think we should be able to keep exotic animals, maybe under a special licence? I understand the issues that national parks or the govt. would have about it but look at somewhere like the UK or the U.S. they dont seem to have any problems. Especially when looking at some of those sites like kingsnake, seeing gtps for a few hundred dollars as opposed to here were they are worth more than a car. Do you think it will ever be possible to keeping un-native species in aus???

banghead.gif

The short answer is:

No.

The long answer is:

Never.

:p

Hix

I have a few exotic dwarf spitfire albino bufos marinus if you're interested sam...pm me and i might be able to do you a deal for a few het supermegadwarf drop bears i've been breeding for the last 2 years that might interest you as well :wink: 8) :lol:

There will always be those who are dead against it, they will all escape and breed and destroy all the native wildlife that man hasn't already destroyed. Then there are those who are for it under the right set of conditions and restrictions, I fall firmly into the second group.
It is perfectly possible to have exotics here if certain rules are followed.
I know several people in Victoria legally allowed to keep exotics and these have caused no problems, there is always a degree of risk but while we openly allow the keeping of dogs cats and various other species the anti arguments are fairly hollow in my opinion.
I love this kind of debate but unfortunately it tends to degenerate into name calling and it gets quite nasty which is a great shame. :(

Exotics are so common in this country that I think it is ineviteable that some form of legalised keeping will happen.

I really like the concept of keeping out exotics for two reasons - keeping our own herps pure and keeping out exotic diseases.

However the reality is that there ARE exotics here already illegally. I think legalising and controlling (as suggested by boa) is probably the best answer, providing they are closely monitored and stiff penalties are applied for any abuse of the regs.

Wonder what Jeff thinks about this? Haven't seen him on for a while, but if you're out there lurking, sir, how about an official/semi-official response?

im confused...i hate the fact that those idiots brought ova rabbits..and stuff...but i would sell my house to buy one of those albino tiger pythons illegally...then again...id have to sell up to buy one legally!

Don't be confused, these people weren't idiots, it's just that back when most of these animals were introduced little or no thought was given to the possible consequences because those sorts of concerns just didn't exist.
We now live in a much different society and are mostly wiser than our fore fathers.
It wouldn't be hard to intoroduce a workable system in this country, when they first discussed limited legalisation in Victoria quite a few years ago now one of the conditions was no breeding, sale etc. Now although this seemed a good idea to the law makers all it resulted in was most of the keepers with exotics didn't apply for a permit and carried on breeding and selling. Only a hand full actually came forward and it took literally years in some cases to get a permit with no guarantee when you applied that you would get one, as I said very few put their hands up for that one.
Of course there is a small risk of disease BUT as I keep saying these animals are here now and in big numbers, make them legal and have some sort of control over them rather than the way it is now.
There are species which pose next to no threat to anything in this country, namely land tortoises of most types, chameleons and lots of others. I wouldn't expect or push for a carte blanche approach where everything was available but there must be some middle ground.
JMHO.

I love tortoises.
Cant really see them getting out of hand and running rampant but you never know.
Come round that bend in the road to be confront with dozens of Aldabras caught in the headlights.

You agree with what...............................?

I was thinking that, you agree with what part of that thread ?
There is no way I would consider having venomous snakes legalised, the chances are just to great that someone will get bitten.

Tortoises would have to be my favourite animal... such slow and relaxed animals. Would love to be able to keep them. They're really the only exotic i would want to keep, probably because there are no land tortoises native to Australia. We have lizards, snakes and turtles here so I wouldn't really want any exotics of them.

i have to agree that it is best to keep exotics out(cept tortoises, not like we say they breed like tortoises!) unless a strick nation wide system could be in place. have to have a licence that you have to update maybe twice a year to be on the safe side. hefty fines for people doing the wrong thing. even have it that if the animal dies you have to have proof that it died and you didn't release it(a couple photographs).

tortoises rock! i really wanted to get a boxturtle their so cool. and they live around virginia and are definatly have no potential to running wild in australia, too dry.

also personally i question the idea of banning exotics while allowing people to have outdoor cats? i think it should be illegal to have a cat outside. the whole bring em in at night bit isn't enough the still get to prey upon the dayural reptiles.

my 2 cents

andrew

The problem is that it is a little too late to keep them out, there are lots and lots of them here. We are way past that stage, we must find a system to allow the relevant authorities to keep track of what is here.
I couldn't agree more about the cats, I can buy any number of cats and release them into the wild but I can't have an exotic reptile that will be kept in a secure locked cage, it's ludicrous.

What the hell?? What do you mean it's too dry in Aus? there arer places where the rainfall is amongst the highest in the world, Australia isn't just a big desert. And there is NO proof thjat tortises could not become a pest, it's highly unlikey, but not proven.

Proof that a tortoise couldn't become a pest ?? I can see them now terrorising the neighbourhood :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back