Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Exotics in australia

:)
I have never seen any but I have seen a few Phelsuma madagascarensis, beeeaaauutiful.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Exotics in australia

Hix said:
[Because in those instances, the dickheads claim "diminished responsibilty" because they were drunk/high/tired/angry/menopausal etc. That's how they get off. And beating someone sneseless or hitting them with your car is a quick event, not usually thought out.Hix

Woohoo! looks like i can do it and I will get away with it after all. :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Exotics in australia

Pilbarapythons said:
Has any body seen any NZ greens gecko's out there in illegal land ?

That is one creature I probably would risk jail for. Oh no what am I thinking. STOP TEMPTING ME

Several species in the genus Naultinus - absolutely gorgeous little things. In my opinion, the GTP of the gecko world.

Naultinus_gemmeus_001.jpg

:p

Hix

Dear Mr Kenshin there is no exotics in perth we have ways of making people forget :cry: there has never been an escape from stalaag 13. Hi Hitler. :evil:

You have buckleys of getting land tortoises legalized cause jeff hates them and heaps of other things.

Hey, fair suck of the sav, Oldfella. I have no personal vendetta and I certainly don't "hate" any reptile - native or exotic - so please don't try laying the blame on me for the the ban on exotics. I'm not getting sucked into arguments for and against this useless debate yet again. I'm sick of the uninformed, ill informed and foolish arguments that some people advocate.

Everyone should know that the whole issue was pretty thoroughly investigated and debated by the conservation and primary industries agencies throughout Australia from 2001 through 2003 - resulting in the decision to confirm the ban on exotics and run the amnesty in 2004. Yes, the ban isn't new - it was just confirmed. Remember that all of the exotics here in private hands were smuggled into the country, are the progeny of animals smuggled into the country or are stolen or the progeny of stolen animals.

Why can't some of you guys and gals simply accept that you have a huge selection of native reptiles to satisfy your selfish needs. Too many people couldn't give a ...... (insect catcher) or a rats .... about the animals or conserving nature or natural ecosystems - you just have to have something different to satisfy your own ego.

Talk about reptile security and "they won't escape". What naive nonsence. Why should it be expected that exotics won't escape when there are literally hundreds of escaped natives picked up in suburbia throughout Australia every year. Just for interest sake, we picked up several exotics - a kingsnake and several corns, an iguana, red-eared sliders - in Sydney last summer. That is on top of the natives like Black-headed, Olive and Water Pythons and carpets of every description, just to mention the pythons.

So don't serve up that poo about "we will keep them secure in cages". Get a life and be satisfied with the huge diversity of reptiles that you can legally keep. By continuing with the ill-conceived arguments for keeping exotics all you are doing is bringing disrepute onto a great hobby.

Cheers,

Jeff

Wow what a stunner! Emerald or green monitors are smashing too, and E. boas, and.....and....
Sigh! :D

:shock: Holy cow, miss your chill pill this Morning Uncle Jeff? And ya finish that up with " cheers'? LOL :D

Hes right but Oldfella, not his fault!

Still, we all know the laws, we know what we can and cannot have Jeff, alas we live under a democracy, which means, pointless or not, we can all p*ss and moan all we please, and we do, and will no doubt continue to like it or not.
Telling us were selfish, and egotistical because we'd like to keep beautiful sp that are not native to our neighbourhood is also pointless, it may be your opinion ,but many think otherwise. Australia is already well screwed in regard to exotic flora and fauna anyways, and will never be restored, ever!
We share this world and its wildlife and there is nothing wrong with wanting to own any animal suited to captivity, despite it origins.
Current laws are not your fault or your idea, were aware of that, take it easy eh! :wink:

That is a great looking gecko, seeing as good looking Kiwi's are Aussies can't we have those ? :lol:

:( You see boa OUCH! thats the uncle jeff we have here,and he was in good mood, pease forgive me massu ! ( and prays for forgiveness and giudance from ranger staycie ) :(

In reply to my post, Instar said

Telling us were selfish, and egotistical because we'd like to keep beautiful sp that are not native to our neighbourhood is also pointless, it may be your opinion ,but many think otherwise. Australia is already well screwed in regard to exotic flora and fauna anyways, and will never be restored, ever!

Aren't you? It is as pointless as trying to compare the errors of yesteryear with "freedom" to do as you please in 2005. We should be learning from our forefathers mistakes and not taking risks that may repeat those errors. We have far more knowledge and hindsight to base our decision on.

Who would like to keep lions, tigers, jaguars and other big cats - that can in USA, so why can't we keep them here? Stupid arguments don't help anyone. Just because animals, reptile or otherwise, might be attractive in some way doesn't justify open slather to keep them as pets. My post was simply to advocate that we should be satisfied with the huge diversity of animals that can legally be kept. Sure, enjoy the beauty of animals that you can't keep, but you don't have to salivate over them or have your hand in your pocket.

Jeff

I agree Instar, I must admit I don't like being called selfish and egotistical (well alright I may be a little egostistical). I love most reptiles and my favourites are boas, sorry but that's just the way it is. They are illegal so I wont have any but that shouldn't stop me wanting them or even hoping that one day our restrictive laws will change.
Jeff has his views which no doubt are shared by some and others have their views that are obviously shared by many.

I would certainly like to have an Iguana or something like that but i certainly do see the risks of having them, i don't think it will ever be legalised. Go the Aussies.

Simone.

Aren't you? It is as pointless as trying to compare the errors of yesteryear with "freedom" to do as you please in 2005

NO! And I never said that either! If the eco saviours want to clean up Australia, start with cats, dogs, most birds, fish, cattle, sheep etc etc etc, get the point! There isnt much to conserve left!
Thats not to say, deliberatly make it worse, but its the ecosaviours who have there hands in their pockets imo.
If you dont like folk salivating over exotics, you might be in the wrong job.
Just because fish are attractive dont justify open slather to keep them as pets either, or birds, yet thats how it is ! More likely fish will be a problem than an exotic lizard etc imo.
And exotic flora dont rate a mention yet take a look see at any garden centre, what will you find?
Thats what irks us Jeff! :wink:

o second that. in reality we shouldn't be allowed exotic birds. i have personally caught a alexandrine parakeet, a large parot from the middle east and india area! this big boy was living wild, but i caught him(really impressed my parents that i was able to catch him). there are also anouther pair(male, female) living wild in the area. and acording to my horticulture teacher(who lives near one of there nest holes) they have succesfuly breed! i myself have lost an indian ringneck who was left outside in his cage by my mom, with the washing clips not on properly(excape artist, i miss piper he was a fun bird, he loved cheese!)

andrew

:D So the herp community is selfish and other communitities are not jeff.like the bird keepers! LOL Jaguars and lions LOL Its not my fault jeff that the amnesty achieved jack s... ,thats the bit you didnt like isnt it.People keep birds,fish and reptiles,cats and dogs both native and exotic thats just the fact of the matter in our society,so if you pass legislation on keeping exotic fish and cats,birds and what not it wont work. Wake up jeff!

I said I wouldn' debate this issue again. :lol:

Please read what I wrote in context. I didn't say the "herp community" I was clearly referring to individuals. Comparisons with cats, dogs, sheep etc and even exotic birds is just pure stupidity and are irrelevant to the discussion. We are stuck with all those animals, we don't need to add to the problems for our unique continent and its unique fauna.

personally i think dogs have done mostly nothing to hurt the fauna. especialy my dog, who runs away from my love bird(who stands 10cm tall!) and wouldn't hurt a fly. however there are dogs who go around killing things. i think cats are a worse issue than dogs and the cat issue can be solved very easily, cats illegal to have outside except in outdoor enclosures. we are definatly stuck with sheep!

the main problem with any exotics is that its effect on australias extremely unique ecosystem can be drastic! even thousands of years ago when dingos were introduced they got the tassie tiger and tassie devil extinct on the main land.

my 2 cents

How bout the fish / plants we still import Jeff, id say anything we import is relevant to what your saying about eco preservation. One law that for that, one law for this? The ban will not conserve our ecosystem while every other non native animal and plant continues spread through australia, upstaging and chocking off natives and irreversably altering both habitat and food chain (its already that way) damage is done, no closing the gate now after the horse has bolted will undo it, stop it, or preserve it in any meaningful way. just my op.
we may have to accept the ban, but we dont have to like it or agree with it. :D
Not to mention that we do more damage to our precious and unique flora and fauna, logging, mining, building, polluting, than any exotic can now do, or ever did!

i agree with every last thing you have said jeff... except for this

JeffHardy said:
We are stuck with all those (cats,dogs, sheep) animals...

we're also stuck with exotic reptiles and amphibians now, every season there are more and more and they will never be under control if things keep going the way they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back