exotics or not

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it isnt that simple

if they werent already here i wouldnt want them here, but they are. end of story

I would love to be able to own exotics but I don't think it's worth risking our own precious wildlife.

If they were legal i'd find it hard to pass up an albino ball python...

I'd find it hard to afford one :)

I stand by our exotic laws as they are, but were they to change, I'd likely jump at the opportunity. Having kept boas, chameleons, uromastyx etc in the past really hasn't managed to sate my desire ;) Until that day though, there are enough beautiful animals native to our country to keep me satisfied.

If they were made legal, Id be the first to line up for a few land tortises ! To whoopee with the ultra conservatives, I know Id be responsible owner, besides, I wanmt to enjoy my life, Im told Im not coming back! :lol:

I would bet that if exotics became legal most of the people who are against it would change their minds pretty quick, i love all reptiles.... i don't care what country they come from.

there are some things i don't understand about all types of exotics.........
dogs and cats can come from OS and they have a horrible impact on nature and wildlife
we stuff up our own environment without the help of anyone/thing else.
everything is so confusing

i love all animals but i can't help to think in the future if we weren't here what would happen and since we are what would happen if we let everything go

sorry guys just thinking out loud

Hey Bryony, I hear ya! We have made a mess of our enviroment on a global scale, our grandparents did it, our parents did it, and we'are doing it too. Consumerism on the scale it is cannot go on indefinatly. Thankfully my kids generation are learning so much about the state of the worlds enviroment, and learning not to take it for granted.
Hopefully they will make a change, and their children will follow in their footsteps. Perhaps my grandchildren will have a clean world, albeit sadly lacking many many species! They will likley not ever see some species we have today, in the fleash. You have to start somewhere.
To change your own thinking takes a short time, but to change the thinking of a world, takes a bit longer.
Cheerup Bryony, Your children may be lucky enough to live in a world without Macca's!!! :lol: :wink:

If they were legal i'd find it hard to pass up an albino ball python...

The price tag is enough to keep me away. That and Ball Pythons are a royal (pardon the pun) pain the a$$. But Meaghan will tell you differently...

I personally don't think any exotic animals should be introduced to Australia, we have seen and continue to see the problems associated with those have been already.

Bryony said:
i can't help to think in the future if we weren't here what would happen
The enviroment would first have to cope with the damage our passing would do. Even if we did as much damage as possible, nature would have re asserted itself after 10 millon years and it would be hard to tell that we were even here. Except that we proberly would have taken with us all animals that couldn't burrow, hibernate or survive without food for a long time so there would be a completly new set of large animal species that have evolved from the survivors to fill the now vacant ecological niches. In other words, exactly what happened after the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Bryony said:
what would happen if we let everything go
In 50 years,you go to any place in the world and see exactly the same couple of dozen species of wild animals and plants you see at home, we will have "McDonaldized" the enviroment. This sure looks like the way we are heading.

we are a pimple on the face of the universe festering and waiting to be popped.

In 50 years,you go to any place in the world and see exactly the same couple of dozen species of wild animals and plants you see at home, we will have "McDonaldized" the enviroment. This sure looks like the way we are heading.
that would make the world very boring ! also only the strongest would survive so most of the fragile wildlife which we have a lot of in Oz would be gone !

One thing i notice is that everyone expects that if exotics were introduced legally into australia they would have a impact on our environment. Well I would suggest if they ever were to be introduced legally (IF) it would be a extremely controlled and a heavily licenced hobby. Infact there are endless amounts of control the government could place on people that were interested in keeping exotics which could pretty much ensure animals dont find there way into the wild and cause problems.

For example (just one that comes to mind in 2 seconds) is that for your average joe blow hobbiest, only de sexed animals could be kept. that way if one excaped it is going to have little impact on the wild as it most likely wont survive in its new environment for long (in most cases) and secondly it cant breed.
As for the breeding, only licenced people with facilities that are strictly monitored and secure could breed animals. all fertile stock must be fitted with Digital ID etc etc etc. There are plenty of ways exotics could be kept as pets in australia without ANY impact on our environment.. sure it would all come at a massive cost. But its possible.
Everyone goes on about our environment.. it shouldnt even be an issue because proper management would ensure that none get into the environment. or is that to much effort??????

Man people are willing to pay $5000 for a green tree python or $2000 for a woma. if we are talking about this much money we could all have a rectic thats de sexed, has digital ID, and a radio tracker implanted as well.... what are the chances of it causing an environmental issue?

MOST animals that have caused significant environmental problems in OZ have been released on purpose to establish wild populations eg, cane toad, fox, rabbit, european carp, and more. Animals like cats never had a licencing system and it was inevitable. In a strictly regulated licencing environment and with the cost of the animals, there is little chance in my opinion it would be a problem. You can not compare keeping exotic reptiles to almost any of australias ferral animal issues, they are TOTALLY different.

Funny thing is im not even saying im interested in keeping exotics, this is just so obvious but no one seems to notice.

craig

Yep,good ideas...but what about the exotics being bred here now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back