Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well said CrocDoc. Your post is not only well-informed but is also insightful into the minds of those that want exotic species. I would have liked to have read your long post that disappeared. Thanks for taking the time to write and rewrite such valuable contributions to this topic.

To those of you that want mainland species imported into Tasmania, I suggest that you seriously re-think this. Any exotic introductions (yes, this includes mainland species) can damage the delicate and fragile ecosystems of Tasmania that have been essentially isolated for millions of years.

Last edited:
Very well said CrocDoc, and thanks Nighthawk for the reply to my thought before. I think Bushman brings up a good point here, that we shouldn't be importing mainland species into Tasmania, due to the fact that just because these species are 'Australian', doesn't meant that they are not exotic to that area, and I feel that this concept holds true for the whole of Australia as well, I mean if we REALLY want to be purists, shouldn't we be banning the movement of animals meant to live in the Pilbara region of Western Australia to suburban Melbourne, I mean at the end of the day, if that animal got out of captivity, it is an exotic TO THAT AREA, and due to the fact that Australia is such a HUGE country, there are many more examples, such as a Jungle python or a GTP being moved to an area that it would not normally live, therefor making it an exotic to that area, causing the possibility of that animal wiping out normal foods for natives to that area, or bringing in diseases that are from other areas into new areas, crossbreeding with animals it wouldn't have access to normally. So really the main point of my argument is that we already are guilty of transporting exotics, just "native exotics" (if that makes sense lol).
I must admit though, I am guilty myself of this, I own Pilbarensis knobbies, and childrens pythons and live in rural Victoria lol. I also want to say that if I had the opportunity to access true exotics legally, I think the only thing I would want to access is the MANY varieties of Australian reptile that we are not keeping ourselves as Australians, (and possibly some of the most AMAZING colour morphs of our own animals (knob tails etc)).

Let me know what you guys think!!
Nurse_boy

Very well said CrocDoc, and thanks Nighthawk for the reply to my thought before. I think Bushman brings up a good point here, that we shouldn't be importing mainland species into Tasmania, due to the fact that just because these species are 'Australian', doesn't meant that they are not exotic to that area, and I feel that this concept holds true for the whole of Australia as well, I mean if we REALLY want to be purists, shouldn't we be banning the movement of animals meant to live in the Pilbara region of Western Australia to suburban Melbourne, I mean at the end of the day, if that animal got out of captivity, it is an exotic TO THAT AREA, and due to the fact that Australia is such a HUGE country, there are many more examples, such as a Jungle python or a GTP being moved to an area that it would not normally live, therefor making it an exotic to that area, causing the possibility of that animal wiping out normal foods for natives to that area, or bringing in diseases that are from other areas into new areas, crossbreeding with animals it wouldn't have access to normally. So really the main point of my argument is that we already are guilty of transporting exotics, just "native exotics" (if that makes sense lol).
I must admit though, I am guilty myself of this, I own Pilbarensis knobbies, and childrens pythons and live in rural Victoria lol. I also want to say that if I had the opportunity to access true exotics legally, I think the only thing I would want to access is the MANY varieties of Australian reptile that we are not keeping ourselves as Australians, (and possibly some of the most AMAZING colour morphs of our own animals (knob tails etc)).

Let me know what you guys think!!
Nurse_boy

The chances of most mainland species thriving in Tas if they got out or let out is very slim....
Same if you let the pilbs out in Melb or a jungle or a GTP. In that respect what possible impact could they have except of being food for rats or birds in summer and dead by winter.
If they are carrying pathogens they would die in your care before they get out.

Still going? Isn't saying "not in your lifetime" enough? Every point on this thread has been done before. Ether your for, or against it.
I too would love some exotics (mostly vipers and some boas) but the government wont allow it. Enjoy what you can get for now.

Fair enough RedInk, but wouldn't that also be true of other true exotics? just a question. Especially considering the amount of predators we have in this country, as well as considering the colour scheme of a corn snake in particular, wouldn't they just be picked off quite quickly.

I will agree that it would be great for some more of our native species to be available in private collections and I also agree that its a bit odd to consider a bearded dragon that was exported to europe is an exotic. Yes they should undergo the same disease testing as when other animals are imported but we should be able to have them

Only exotic I think I'd be comfortable having in Australia is the emerald monitor. It might not even BE exotic though! They're sooooo pretty. I bet they're a handful to look after aswell.

if exotics were legally available here how many people would want cute (little) colourful retics, burms and other large snakes? and when a large section of these people would probably be the ones that cant handle a feisty jungle python then once these animals grow its an accident waiting to happen.. the first death of a person especially a child would bring everyman and his dog out and the media would be calling for a total ban on all reptiles I think.. I dont want this to happen.

and once these cute little retics grow to a size the owners are terrified of them and cant handle them ( definitely need a few people in some cases) the tendency to let them go as seen in the usa would happen here..

Id love some exotics in theory but prefer the situation remain as it is now and keep them banned and not legally available. theres plenty of awesome aussie species to keep and we should think ourselves lucky to have them available.

The only 'exotics' (if you consider them that) that I want are our animals that aren't in our pet trade yet, but are in overseas collections.

what does confuse me is that there seems to be a large section of newbies that always seem to be posting on with this subject (no offence to anyone) and why they dont get some experience keeping & breeding our australian species puzzles me.. they always seem to want what we cant have and less interested in what we do have and are able to keep.. maybe it might be a good idea (?) to do more research on our aussie species get some runs on the board keeping and breeding (successfully) our aussie reptiles and less time drooling on internet pics of what are not available :D

no offence to anyone.. and just an observation..

I agree with this Colin - there are still plenty of challenges facing keepers in this country, bureaucratic and technical, without having to look overseas... ...

Jamie

I can't imagine a day when exotics will be legal, the authorities can hardly get their act together with the natives so the exotics will remain underground and will continue to be bred and traded in huge numbers but at least the Government won't have to worry about them as they are illegal :). I do love it when people say "we shouldn't let exotics into Australia", unfortunately the horse has well and truly bolted there, it's a bit like saying we shouldn't allow drugs in. LOL.
It is a shame that we can't get to fully appreciate the incredible variety of reptiles found overseas, the amazing pythons, boas, iguanas, chameleons, monitors, colubrids, vipers, tortoises etc etc etc, Cornsnakes and Ball Pythons are just a tiny part of the hobby overseas.
I love all reptiles regardless of where they originate but to me South America is reptile heaven but I can appreciate an animal from anywhere. I really don't understand why someone would go to a zoo and consciously ignore exotic species, that is so incredibly insular.

You only have to look at the state of Florida to see why exotics are not allowed in Australia, the general public is not responsible enough to be trusted with things that could be so dangerous to our eco systems.
Exotics are awesome and desirable but there is just enough idiots to ruin it for every one, as with everything ie; fireworks, bb guns, firearms, pitbulls the list goes on and on.

You only have to look at the state of Florida to see why exotics are not allowed in Australia, the general public is not responsible enough to be trusted with things that could be so dangerous to our eco systems.
Exotics are awesome and desirable but there is just enough idiots to ruin it for every one, as with everything ie; fireworks, bb guns, firearms, pitbulls the list goes on and on.

AUSHERP, l agree 100% with what you have stated here in your post in regards, that people just are not responsible enough or cannot be trusted with things, that could be so dangerous to Australia eco system well said.

if exotics were legally available here how many people would want cute (little) colourful retics, burms and other large snakes? and when a large section of these people would probably be the ones that cant handle a feisty jungle python then once these animals grow its an accident waiting to happen.. the first death of a person especially a child would bring everyman and his dog out and the media would be calling for a total ban on all reptiles I think.. I dont want this to happen.

and once these cute little retics grow to a size the owners are terrified of them and cant handle them ( definitely need a few people in some cases) the tendency to let them go as seen in the usa would happen here..

Id love some exotics in theory but prefer the situation remain as it is now and keep them banned and not legally available. theres plenty of awesome aussie species to keep and we should think ourselves lucky to have them available.

That's it in a nutshell Colin. I've seen it first hand back home. People walking into the local petshop, and instead of having a choice of stimmies or spotteds, folks can rock up off the street and select from stunning, noodle sized burms, retics, etc. No licence or experience required, just some "good" advice from the pimply faced kid behind the counter, and off you go. One fatality is all it would take and we would all be out of reptile keeping period I'd wager. Not to mention, burms, rocks, retics, etc... would all thrive across the top end. Case and point, the Everglades. The average joe would struggle with a yearling retic at 10+ kg, how's about year 2! These things would be getting released left right and centre. I recently heard of a boa being found cruising around on the Gold Coast. I mean c'mon! And don't get me started on vens! People would be lining up down the block for Gumbrechts, Eyelash vipers, cobras, etc. While I'm sure if push came to shove, the AVRU would work on antivenine for these animals if they were legal here, but in the interim, someone would probably end up dead.

There are already wild populations of corn snakes and red earred sliders doing damage. The last thing we need is more exotics. In a perfect world people would keep them responsibly in escape proof enclosures and never release them, but that won't happen.

I know there are exotics here already. The wildlife rescue I'm in had a dead boa turn up not long ago. The people keeping those animals should be ashamed of themselves for being so selfish. Our ecosystem is so much more precious and important than someone's ego.

I agree with you, it is the 5% who spoil it for the 95%. I love exotic reptiles, in fact all reptiles but fully understand that the chances of legal ownership are slim at best. I do feel that some form of licensing will at least go part way to keeping track of what's here rather than what we have at present. There are 10's of 1000's of exotics of every species imaginable being kept and bred illegally and god knows how many of those find their way into the wild.

There are already wild populations of corn snakes and red earred sliders doing damage. The last thing we need is more exotics. In a perfect world people would keep them responsibly in escape proof enclosures and never release them, but that won't happen.

I know there are exotics here already. The wildlife rescue I'm in had a dead boa turn up not long ago. The people keeping those animals should be ashamed of themselves for being so selfish. Our ecosystem is so much more precious and important than someone's ego.
you wouldent happen to be with the ARC??

Ok... I have seen some post talking about Florida and blaming the people for the amount of exotics they have running around down there, but you guys forgot one important thing..... Hurricanes. Back in the 1990's, Florida had so many hurricanes come through there and wipe out almost everything in Miami. Are people part of the reason? Yes. Are people the only reason? No. Which one will do more damage to the ecosystem? 20 or 30 people letting go a Burmese python every now and then or 5 or more hurricanes a year coming through and wiping out zoos, parks, reptile centers and so on and then the snakes getting out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back