Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristis

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
is anyone else sick of seeing exotics for sale or people asking for them?
i was at wildlife world last week and over herd someone say they got a corn snake as there first snake. give it 5 -10 years and we will have exotics everywhere. corns are staring to turn up on snake removals. i think corns and slider (slider are already a problem in some parts of oz) will be a big problem if nothing is done about them.
what happens to the people that try and sell exotics on petlink? probabley a slap on the wrist.
anyone care to comment.

yeah as for corns, what happens when they don't want them anymore? let them go.. when they should really be either euthanising them or chopping their heads off, hard to say whether more are
being smuggled into australia or the current snakes/turtles that are in australia are re-producing?

I know of a person who has/had (dunno if they still got it) a corn snake, and i don'y know a great deal bout this sorta thing, but this is my opinion: beautiful friendly snakes, they do make great pets, i don't think they would do too much damage to the environment when compared to somethings that have been legally imported, its not as if they're poisonous, so its not as if we are in danger of death if one does bite. The only thing i think sux about this is, proper responsible snake ppl don't get to own these snakes after we've done all the right things, and idiots who know nothing keep them when really they don't deserve to own one. Um, i think i wouldn't mind seeing a few exotics allowed in Aus, America are going in leaps and bounds with colour morphs and crap even with our own bearded dragons!! We get left behind paying the same for a plain reptile as they do for a brightly coloured one and we can't even import our own native reptiles back from America, so that we can further our knowledge and experiment with different colour morphs.
Please don't shoot, this is JMO, and i don't really know that much about this subject, these are just my own personal thoughts.
Jane

yey lets import them they friendly and not venomous. Mabe we can get some intergrades in future like woma x cornsnake.
Just joking people. I think that experts taking care of our wildlife protection do know what they doing.

LOL woma x cornsnake! disaster! I agree Slateman, but the main problem is that wildlife protection don't know WHOs doing it.. makes it hard.

Don't bag me out, as i said JMO, i said i know nothing on the subject, they were just my thoughts, bet 1/2 the people here would own a corn if they were legal. Doesn't anyone think its unfair that americans get to use our natives and end up with better and brighter versions than us?

We do have our own form of native corn snake from my understanding - Boiga Irregulariris - The Brown Tree Snake. Correct me if I'm wrong. Why import when we have our own beautiful species?

Do we need another cane toad, slider turtle, mynah bird, asian house gecko or rabbit in our already fragile eco system?

We are already starting to reap the rewards of having exotics in private collections in previous years with the introduction of OPMV and IBD into Australian Collections. So introduce another species? - IMHO - I don't think so.

is the asian house gekko,exotic. If so are they the little ones found in every home in qld.

The little light coloured pinkish gekko.

If they are exotic why are they on the NSW reptile keepers species list.

They are allowed on the species list, but are meant to be kept under strict conditions from my understanding. AHG's are an introduced species that have established themselves in Northern Australia.

I remember living as a kid overseas and these were everywhere and I used to catch and keep them in little glass jars for a few days, release them and get new ones.

Why we are extoics,

Does anyone care to divulge the exotic species that they have seen in Australia in personal collections,

i.e. like the bloke in Western Sydney with the green anaconda

Anyone else

There is someone that used to live in Cambletown i think it was, they had some Chameleons two pair.

Actually there was a Reptile shop, liverpool i think, the guys name was Manny or soemthing he had corn snakes etc, i dont think he is there any more

D

you can almost get anything you want . i was offerd hatchling cobras a few weeks ago at a pet shop in cambletown

Which shop????

Things like this should probably be reported for the reasons as stated above

Maybe some that was offered this, and has seen proof of this should make this known.

People can look at it as 'dobbing' or what ever, the simple fact of the matter is it is wrong, if people did the right thing to start with, there wouldnt be this issue with Corns, Sliders,

Australia is under enough pressure without adding to the problem.

D

I know one fella who live with Comodo dragon.
She ocasionally cooks for him also. Truly exotic creature she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back