Expensive Hobby!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitch_80

Reaction score
So besides the actual reptiles and other animals (does anyone keep fish?), food, equipment, etc etc I was just wondering about peoples power bills if your willing to share. Mine have been huge for ages now so Ive decided to go solar, which is being installed in the next week or so and Im hoping it cuts it down a fair bit. Does anyone have solar? I havent seen anything on it so thought Id ask.

a friend got solar panels in her roof it cut her power bill in half.

im also interested what people do to reduce the power bills? (including set-ups that are more conservative) im using heat cords instead of lights but would love to know the difference in bills... i know my larger enclosures are going to need lights :(

Do radiators use less than a few globes? I just bought one but it hasnt arrived yet. My biggest problem is the fish tanks, I cant not use filters and heaters and they are quite large which is why Im going solar, well over a grand a quarter as it is now. Thats without food etc hahaha.

BTW thanks Sarah.

I run 20 tanks and in the winter I pay about $1500 for power in the summer it drops to about $800, as all the heaters get turned off. A good idea would be plumbing all the.tanks into 1 system, but where our tanks are situated we can't, we have a 9 x 4 tank arriving in a couple of weeks and that Will have to have 3 heaters, 2 internal filters and 2 external filters so power will go up again with the 1 tank.

We just got around 40k worth of solar panels on our roof. Still new so i have no idea how much it will cut down the bill. the aim is to get it to zero or close to it.

I bought a 3.6 Kw converter and 18 panels so it should cut over a grand a quarter, well im hoping more. Im about to set up another 650Lt tank and am almost finished building a large reptile enclosure which I have a feeling wont be the last. At least the dogs dont need filters although if you invented one that hung from their tails I think you would make a fortune :)

Hey silver, do you happen to know what size converter and how many panels you got?

My power bill is pretty small. No heating, cold water, just the lights really.

It's called living in the Tropics in a place that catches the air.

"At least the dogs dont need filters although if you invented one that hung from their tails I think you would make a fortune" - ha ha just attach a portable fan (guard off) while they are walkies!

My power bill is pretty small. No heating, cold water, just the lights really.

It's called living in the Tropics in a place that catches the air.

"At least the dogs dont need filters although if you invented one that hung from their tails I think you would make a fortune" - ha ha just attach a portable fan (guard off) while they are walkies!

Your saying Melbournes weather is no good?! hahahaha..

Mines always $1400-$1500 a quarter...solar 17 [Baden]

Yes, but how many animals do you have Baden??? The terminology "HEAPS" springs to mind! ;)

Ours is "only" around the $600 per quarter - hubby gets a little ticked off by it too!

i want mine no more then 500 ever!! usually 300 or so before i got into reptiles so im hoping to be conservative any tips???

Thats why Im hoping solar is a good choice medz, I figure between 18-24 months and it will have paid for itself then it will be savings. From what I gather unless your in the tropics its hard to conserve extra power.

Ours are around $1200 to $1400 a quarter, I have a large family and over 50 reptiles so it all adds up.

I have a friend who has solar... the last bill he got was $180 credit! Keep in mind he lives by himself & has no herps/fish & this was in a summer period where Perth went something like 60 days without a cloud day, but still, that's amazing. It will definitely help you out!

I you catch and keep local fish you have no heating bill much like keeping reptiles species suited to your area. I only use direct solar power, but it is the best IMO. If you keep lots of tropical fish look at solar water heaters they will be better than solar electrcity. That said the only fish i keep dont need extra solar water heating so im probably not much help.

Solar 17, where does your name come from? you obviously dont use solar electrcity to power you herps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back