Experimenting with chicken

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Licespray

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So after reading about people on here feeding snakes chicken necks, leths, wings etc was cutting up some chicken for dinner the other night and went “may as well try some”.

Trialled Woma, Bredli, Stimson and spotted.

Woma sniffed for awhile then turned away.
Bredli followed it for a bit (moving around on tongs) then went and ignored it.
Stimson hasn’t been feeding since it got cold and ignored it also.
Spotted hammered it.

So, 1 out of 4 we’ve tried so far.

6 out of my 10 take chicken necks and drum sticks. I give them the odd feed of chicken pieces to mix it up n also save a bit of cash

Anyone try fish? A book we had suggested trying that too, and the example given was a carp being fed to a woma.

Any parasite risks from a fish to a reptile? Or would freezing the fish for a month or so be sufficient to kill any parasites? Plenty of carp here locally.

Anyone try fish? A book we had suggested trying that too, and the example given was a carp being fed to a woma.

Any parasite risks from a fish to a reptile? Or would freezing the fish for a month or so be sufficient to kill any parasites? Plenty of carp here locally.
How big is your snake?
Carp are too big for most snakes.

This freezing story is very funny.

People used to talk about freezing to kill parasites. Around 20-25 years ago people started saying freeze for at least 24-48 hours, to ensure the thing was fully frozen, and I suppose 48 hours makes sense. Then over the years it became a week, then two weeks, now we often see a month! Haha, it's very funny.

The main point of freezing is to keep something stable. The freezing process does indeed kill most macroscopic life (this includes most parasites) as well as some microscopic life (bacteria etc). The main way this process kills is freezing the water which produces water crystals which are hard and larger in volume than liquid water, which destroys cell membranes and tissues etc. Once freezing is complete (generally within hours, sometimes 24-48 hours depending on size and how good the freezer is, but if it's at the upper end of this range your freezing process isn't really up to scratch and moret than this is a concern in itself) the damage is done and anything which is not already destroyed is very stable and should last months, likely years, and often decades.

Short story: there's no benefit in freezing for any longer than it takes to fully freeze something.

How big is your snake?
Carp are too big for most snakes.

I’ve caught carp from 2.5cm up to 75cm. Next time I catch one I’ll check the fins out because I can’t recall just how sharp they are and from what I read the biggest risk is the spines anyway.

Sdaji - makes sense. I just said a month for a general time. As for parasites - can also get plenty of wild piglets :p but pork seems more risky.

2 of my carpets love chicken pieces. The other will eat a whole chook no probs but turns his nose up at pieces every time ???

Latest posts

Back