Expert Advice needed asap... Re: monitors and first time keeper.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranga

Reaction score
Ok well basically I am looking at getting my first monitor, to get the experience to eventually be able to own my own bell phase Lacey.

But in the past I have only kept blueys, beardeds, snakes, scorpions, turtles. Never monitors.

Id like to be able to have a larger if not largest possible size monitor for a first time keeper.

so far most people have suggested either an ackie, a spencers monitor, or a black headed... From my knowledge the spencers is the only reasonably large monitor of the three? Can you suggest any others?

Why go large for your first time? Personally I think starting miniature would be better, but that's not what you want to hear so how about a Sand Monitor (also called Gould's monitor). They get fairly large and unless they changed it recently are only R1.

I've kept the smaller lizards I'd like more experience with something with more size, and I'm just a fan of larger monitors... I will look into that sand monitor ;) thanks

keep em comming!

I wouldn't recommend you go for large monitors straight away they are different to beardies and other lizards they are much harder to control and tame.

My first (and only so far) monitor is a Mertens Water Monitor. Not bitey (not particularly placid, just not prone to using his teeth), will get to a decent size, but so far has been a pretty awesome first monitor :)

Spencers are a good larger species, at least, that's what I started with. But, if you want a Lacie, why not just go a Lacie? Very different to anything else anyway and there's plenty of great info out there with regard to their captive husbandry, and some excellent breeders. JMO.

So long as you completely understand the potential damage they can cause
I would go for what you really want

No use getting something you really have no interest in

Its a bit like venomous snakes
Nobody can really afford to get hit by any of them and they should all be treated the same way
but how many threads are there asking 'What is a good ven for me?"
If you want a taipan, learn about them and get one
RBB isnt going going to interest you for long imo

So if you want a lacey do your homework and try to get some practical experience through other keepers
then go find one you like

I live on average and have a large outside enclosure so I contemplated getting a lace monitor. Just the responses from other members towards people doing the same thing I'm contemplating put me off. I'm sure I could handle it, but I am looking for something I can also handle atm, and from what I've read lace monitors are not exactly the monitor to be handled.

If looking for something to handle, you'd do better to get another Bluie or BD. No monitors really cope that well with handling, as you've no doubt heard already.

Yeh I have heard that. But at the same time have been told spencers can be great handlers if raised properly...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you allow them to interact on their own terms and as they approach adult size, both species eventually appear to loose much of their initial fear of humans (or any other large potential predator). Having said that, a "dog tame" monitor can be much more dangerous to the keeper than a "fresh" animal for that very reason, especially when food's about.

Yeh I know about feeding responses around these animals...

How bad can a bite from a full grown Lacie be? Comparable to say a dogs with smaller teeth?

Bad. They can cause severe lacerations. Their teeth are like razor blades. A friend was bitten on the wrist and had nerves, tendons and an artery completely severed. A couple hundred stitches and he will never regain full use of his hand. That was from a medium sized Lacey.

Wow that does sound pretty crazy, as I said though I understand if properly handled you can be quite safe. I've seen those leather gloves work quite well to lol

If I do decide to go something other than a Lacie just at first....

Spencers, black headed, sand monitor.... So those seem to be my best 3 bets for a medium/large lizard?

Crocdoc said:
105979386.jpg

That photo was of the wrist of a grown man, bitten by a captive lace monitor. After this photo was taken the mate whose wrist that is said he was happy the monitor didn't manage to get a good, solid bite on his wrist (according to him it was just a glancing bite), because if it had his tendons would have been severed and his hand functions would never have been the same again.

The point i'm trying to make here is that a large monitor will do substantial damage with a bite, shredding tendons arteries and other soft tissue... smaller monitor = less damage (even through it will still look like you put your arm in a mincer the bites tend to be more superficial and well... smaller). They are simply not comparable to a Bluey or Beardie, if you want to compare it to a dog think full grown angry bull mastiff with razorblades for teeth... I'm by no means an expert on monitors, but a pic tells a thousand words.

Another fact you should consider are the anticoagulant properties of monitor saliva which will cause wounds to bleed excessively (And by this I mean you will need serious medical attention in the case of a bite, here is a picture of a "Treated" croc monitor bite (bit larger than a lacie but it makes my point):

croc_mon_wound3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeh that pic does explain alot. I was in no way saying monitors are anything like a bluey or bearded in regards to behaviors I was just meaning in the regards for basic care.

so what's the average size of the 3 monitors I mentioned? Blackhead, sand monitor, spencers...?

No worries, I just figured i'd let you know what you were gettign into :)

Approximately:

Black headed monitor 80cm
Gould's monitor `150cm
Spencer's Monitor 120cm
Mertens' water monitor 100cm
Ackie 70cm
Lace monitor 200cm

Unreal mate thanks for that... Helps alot with my decision. I don't suppose you'd know rough prices... From what I've read I'm guessing

black headed 300
Goulds 500
spencers 600
mertins 600
ackie 250
Lacie 500

???

i frequently look on this site, herp trader, Rdu,

Sorry for the questions but I promise that's it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.