Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

H.bitorquatus

Banned
Reaction score
Was just looking up extinct Aussie animals and came across these, I have never heard of any of them, can someone please fill me in on them?

Liasis burtoni Southern Australia Python SA, QLD Last wild specimen recorded in 1981
Talalihous ater Harlequin Lizard TAS Last wild specimen recorded in 1985
Chelodina buxtoni Queensland Snakenecked Turtle SA Last wild specimen recorded in 1997
Varanus loi Norfolk Island Monitor lizard Norfolk Islands Last wild specimen recorded in 1979

I don't think the first 3 are even real? I googled them and got no results, never seen them in any books. Does that mean wikipedia is not always right :lol:

Liasis is genus that includes water pythons and olive pythons.

Burton's legless lizard is Lialis burtonis, not liasis burtoni

Ahh righto. Blame google, there seem to be plenty of legless lizard hits for Liasis burtoni.

Does that mean wikipedia is not always right :lol:

Try telling that to some members of this site that love to quote it every chance they get ;):lol:

Would be interesting to hear if those first three ever did exist.

:lol:, I know APSers love wikipedia!

I googled the 4th, again it sounds like its made up....

It makes them sound clever :D

I can't find info on any of them...Liasis burtoni and Lialis burtonis sound too similar which makes me think that the first one is a fake, but you never know.

So here you are dissing wiki (a perfectly good resource hehe) and all you're relying on is google search???? Hmmmmm pot calling kettle....

Best to chat to the good folk of a natural museum (for the liasis try somewhere in SA where it was or wasn't discovered).

It's a fine line between whether wiki can provide facts or fiction - but never the less - it's a resource that if you use wisely is a very powerful tool - rather than the tool that just quotes wiki without looking at the references first...

Your topic is interesting but warrants far more than a 'googling' - good luck - let us know how you get on.

you have me there slim, I might have to look into it. I just thought at least someone might know, or google might have results ;)

you have me there slim, I might have to look into it. I just thought at least someone might know, or google might have results ;)

Kinda looking forward to hearing what you come up with - you should see the endangered list!!! There's a fair few reps and amphibs on that one!!! And Australia really has a disproportionate amount of endangered animals - something really worth looking into.

Should I just email the museum? The closest one is about 4 hours away. Yes, have seen the list, its a very nice one, we are doing a good job at the endangered, I think some Australians are not trying hard enough to extend the list though which is a shame.

Should I just email the museum? The closest one is about 4 hours away. Yes, have seen the list, its a very nice one, we are doing a good job at the endangered, I think some Australians are not trying hard enough to extend the list though which is a shame.

..... ok i must be misinterpreting this quote...

and in reltion to closest museum being 4 hours away. it will give you some quality bonding time betwen you and your vehicle :p

I hate talking on phones, I am not that curious as to if they are real or not, maybe someone else is keen enough to ring a museum?

..... ok i must be misinterpreting this quote...

and in reltion to closest museum being 4 hours away. it will give you some quality bonding time betwen you and your vehicle :p

And more of a chance to help add to the endangered list too - drive at night for more chance of amphibians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back