Eye scales haven't come off with shed - need advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaPeas

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have 2 Childrens Pythons that recently shed, but the skin didn't come off in one piece as it normally does, and both have failed to shed the scale over their eyes. This hasn't happened to me before, and I'm after a bit of advice in regards to:

1. What would cause them to shed in flaky pieces rather than one whole skin?
2. How do I remove the scales over their eyes?

A vet student told me recently that the best way to remove the scale on the eye is to use sticky/masking tape.. which sounds horrifying to me, and maybe something only a vet would try, but has anyone tried this? or anything else that might assist. I placed one in a wet bag on a heatmat for about 3 hours, and put her back in the tank, checked today and the scales are still over the eyes.

Cheers all!

Nina

Oh no don't use sticky tape. I've seen people use rubber gloves, rubber thumb covers (found in newsagents or stationary shop) or damp cotton bud/cue tip and very lightly pass it over the eye, front to back. There is a ep of snake bytes where he does it, I'll have a look for it, for you

Oh no don't use sticky tape. I've seen people use rubber gloves, rubber thumb covers (found in newsagents or stationary shop) or damp cotton bud/cue tip and very lightly pass it over the eye, front to back. There is a ep of snake bytes where he does it, I'll have a look for it, for you

- - - Updated - - -

At the 4min mark - http://snakebytes.tv/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=257&Itemid=14

Last edited:
That's awesome, thanks for finding that!! I'll give the rubber thumb a go, and I think I definitely need to increase the humidity in the room. I'll post back later and let you know how I fared!

Try a wet pillow case first.Make sure you turn it inside out though as there may be loose threads inside it.

I did try that Ramsayi - with no success - I've got one in a waterbath now, and I'm scouting around for a rubber thumb. And trying to figure out how to increase the humidity in the room!

I have successfully used sticky tape in the past, but only with larger snakes. You need to be very careful with only touching the cap to the eye cap and nothing else (hence why it's difficult in small snakes). My preferred method though is to pin the snake and gently message the cap with my thumb. It tends to come off pretty easily this way, especially if the snake is already moist (ie, from pulling off the rest of the shed hehe).

I've found that it's becoming dryer now that it's getting a little warmer. Not sure what it's like down your way, but it's caused several of my snakes to have bad sheds already. I've taken to sprayed them pretty well when I see them go cloudy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back