F10 Disinfectant

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew,

Does the product still work effectively after the use by date has passed?

Andrew,

Does the product still work effectively after the use by date has passed?

Hi Ramsayi,

Short answer is "Yes". The product will not suddenly stop working 1 day after the expiry date. In fact, in other countries it has a 3 year shelf life, and at some point it will be updated for longer (4yr) shelf life here in Australia as well - its the same product, just with further testing done on retention samples etc. if its a long way past (like over 2 years) then I'd probably ditch it and buy another (smaller) bottle.

The only issue we have with expiry dates is in selling product to wholesalers etc if dates are less than 6 mths (because obviously no end-user would want to buy short dated product), which fortunately done not reallly happen any longer. Most of our F10 product is gone within 3 months of getting it...:)

Zanks - I'm guessing that wasn't the answer you were expecting...lol. We're all for straight answers and no bull here.

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on F10/IBD. It was the type of info I was eluding too and I suspected that while it may in fact work there was no conclusive evidence or even truth to it actually working.

Zanks - I'm guessing that wasn't the answer you were expecting...lol. We're all for straight answers and no bull here.

Cheers,
Andrew
Well put Andrew, its great to get simple answers from people rather than lines and lines of dribble that says nothing (thats what the pollies are 4).
Thanks

Maybe if you were doing surgery (removing venom glands perhaps) at home a veterinary grade disinfectant might be important. But for keeping pets I think it's just a waste of money. What problems have keepers actually had from not using chemical disinfectants at home?

For your general household 'closed' collection I think it may be a bit over the top, at the excessive dilutions some people are using it at- but if people want to use it, by all means. At least you know it is safe for reptiles, wheras some other 'treatments' I'd be doubtful of their safety. I do sometimes use F10 at the strongest concentration, however I also work at a veterinary clinic and am exposed to wild reptiles and other peoples ill pets- thus I take 'extra' precautions with the F10 to try and minimise any risks to my own collection. If I wasn't in the industry though, I doubt I'd use it...

Great product though :) and thanks for your comments about it Andrew!

I don't see a point in using the strongest dilution - how many snakes get parvovirus? I was more thinking what basic pathogens are we trying to get rid of - I suppose a dilution that covers gram +ve and -ve bacteria, mould and fungi would do. As I only have 2 snakes in a totally closed collection I am not super worried about viral loads. Unless I'm wrong?

Elapidae - what do you mean why would a vet be asking this? I don't know everything mate, unlike some people.

As for people talking about why one would bother, I agree to a point. I have never used any other disinfectant and had no problems, but if I can get it cheap I don't see what harm I can do giving the occasional F10 wipe down after soiling. You don't want to use it? Fine. You'll notice the thread title was not "Should I use F10 or not?".

Maybe if you were doing surgery (removing venom glands perhaps) at home a veterinary grade disinfectant might be important. But for keeping pets I think it's just a waste of money. What problems have keepers actually had from not using chemical disinfectants at home?
Litre for litre its cheaper than most household cleaners. It can be breathed in spilled on skin, eyes and clothes and is non corrosive unlike bleach. It disolves urates, kills salmonella and ecoli. Stops secondary infections from red belly bites(I could be wrong on this but its always worked for me). I dont wildlife rehab so maybe I dont count.
Non chemical? Can you be more specific? I have used hydroxic acid but I know that is also a corrosive and caused many deaths.

Litre for litre its cheaper than most household cleaners. It can be breathed in spilled on skin, eyes and clothes and is non corrosive unlike bleach. It disolves urates, kills salmonella and ecoli. Stops secondary infections from red belly bites(I could be wrong on this but its always worked for me). I dont wildlife rehab so maybe I dont count.Non chemical? Can you be more specific? I have used hydroxic acid but I know that is also a corrosive and caused many deaths.
More specific? Basically if you use no chemicals just hot water for cleaning I doubt anything bad would happen. I just use water and steam cleaner.

- - - Updated - - -

Litre for litre its cheaper than most household cleaners. It can be breathed in spilled on skin, eyes and clothes and is non corrosive unlike bleach. It disolves urates, kills salmonella and ecoli. Stops secondary infections from red belly bites(I could be wrong on this but its always worked for me). I dont wildlife rehab so maybe I dont count.Non chemical? Can you be more specific? I have used hydroxic acid but I know that is also a corrosive and caused many deaths.
More specific? Basically if you use no chemicals just hot water for cleaning I doubt anything bad would happen. I just use water and steam cleaner.

I had a steamer till it wore out. I would have got another one but I find the spray easier to be honest but I can understand your choice. Just be careful with that super heated hydroxic acid.

I've only got 20 odd pythons and never used F10. Never had any vet bills either. It's over rated.

What do you use?

I need to clean my 2 reptile enclosures this week.

I also need some advice how to clean my frog enclosure, please. Anyone? Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey all,

I bought some last week, I previously used only hot water and a bleach solution once or twice for the last 4 years. As my collection grows I thought I might aswell play it on the safe side and get some. I bought a new cage after I bought it and have sprayed it over once using the strongest dilution I did it again today and will do it every week for the next 2 week's.

I'm going to clean out all my enclosures once a month with it.

With thing's like food/water bowl's do I just spray them after they have been washed over with water then leave for 30 minutes then rinse again and dry with paper towel?

Will the same method be fine for hook's/feeding tong's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back