Facebook....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
After many years out of it.... I've finally gone back on Facebook....spent hours trying to figure it out last night. I've always been against it, but thought it would be a good way to stay in closer contact with family and perhaps easier to find other social networks than just relying on google. I've heard a lot about it being an unsafe place, but I've restricted contact to friends only so I should be ok.

What do the rest of you think of Facebook

I think it can be as intrusive as you want it to be :) some love it others hate it, I have a facebook page at the request of old school friends that had been trying to locate me(through other friends etc) I dont post on it as if it were my diary per say... I just like it for the ability to let every-one in a collective group know about stuff to do with me :D that way they can ring/email me if they want more info etc :)

I got rid if facebook. was just a huge time waster for me. now im glad im off it so i dont have to put up with the cr@p on there.

before i first had facebook i was against it, but then i decided to try it. It's helpful in the fact that I live so far away from family and friends because i switched schools at a late ages resulting in me haveing all my close friends too far to simply just drive ova for a visit, an now that im an adult and working with various people from around the world it's good to keep in touch with them, just need to get my **** together and fly over and catch up properly :p
It's easy to keep private you can set it so only friends can see your content and if you want it can be impossible for even strangers to find that you exist.
I think the danger is for for the younger people who give out way too much information because they choose to trust the wrong people.

Yeah I don't really understand how anyone can be "against it". It's a social networking tool and like any other tool it's as good or as bad as the people using it

I'm addicted to Facebook. I love it. A lot of my family are in Melbourne so it's great for photo sharing and updates from them.

There's only crap on Facebook if you add people who are drama queens! I'm way too opinionated for most of those people to keep me added for long anyway.

I've got my settings for friends only, and I think it'll be a good way for my husbands kids to keep in contact with us, coz they never phone, but they do use FB. A couple of them have already included me as friends, so they obviously want that contact too, it's just that FB is more of a modern media than the old fashioned phone. I think I'll like it.

I was on it yrs ago but left because it didnt seem genuine. I had zillions of 'friends' that i didnt even know lol in some ways i think it should be called 'fakebook'

I found in my circle of friends it was just a place to show off! i have alot that im proud of (and some that im not) but i dont feel the need to parade it all to the world. I prefer to use email to keep in contact with my 'real' friends :)

I also think theres a reason some people are in your past lol i dont want to be found by them 8)
PS. im not against it....its just not 4 me.

But you don't have to have those fake people added. I have just over 100 friends on there and a lot of them are work colleagues, most are family and then I have a few friends. I actually don't have many real friends at all so the ones I have added are either those or interesting people. If people start being fake or annoying or both then they are promptly deleted.

I was on it yrs ago but left because it didnt seem genuine. I had zillions of 'friends' that i didnt even know lol in some ways i think it should be called 'fakebook'

I found in my circle of friends it was just a place to show off! i have alot that im proud of (and some that im not) but i dont feel the need to parade it all to the world. I prefer to use email to keep in contact with my 'real' friends :)

I also think theres a reason some people are in your past lol i dont want to be found by them 8)
Ha ha ha ha I can run but I cant hide lol to be honest, I have found a really dear school friend only in the last month because we were both on facebook and she typed in my maiden name(I used to be under married) we have had decades worth of trials and tribulations to catch up on :) I find people to be fake on or off the net sad but true :) As far as the braggers go... well, they can never be as rich as I because I have all that I need lol so its like water off a ducks back :D

I love Facebook, I'm on it all the time. I think its a very good way to stay in contact with everyone. I don't know why people say its an unsafe place, you have full control over everything.

It's not much different than how the old fb was setup. A friend of mine created a whole new profile when timeline was released because she said she didn't want people seeing all her past posts. Not really sure how timeline makes any difference, all they had to do was scroll anyway.

Yes I've got time line...looks ok, wouldn't know how to get rid of it now anyway... :) but I don't see anything wrong with it. There are still some things I'm trying to work out, but I think I have most of it sorted.

I hate it. I deleted it for ages, before making a profile as the inevitable truth is your "friends" don't talk too you without it. It's too convenient.

I also constantly delete my wall as I'm so sick of people lurking it, thinking that constitutes a conversation.

It also makes you hate people you like in real life, as they parade about trying to be as insightful or provocative as possible. Or basically being a needy....uhm...less than classy lady.

Last Thursday showed me the prime evil of Facebook,
When before anyone had a chance too call me,
I found out about my beautiful Grandmothers passing by reading it on a status.
Needless too say I lost it.

I hate it. I deleted it for ages, before making a profile as the inevitable truth is your "friends" don't talk too you without it. It's too convenient.

I also constantly delete my wall as I'm so sick of people lurking it, thinking that constitutes a conversation.

Last Thursday showed me the prime evil of Facebook,
When before anyone had a chance too call me,
I found out about my beautiful Grandmothers passing by reading it on a status.
Needless too say I lost it.

I can understand that, but I'd blame that on the people who didn't tell you personally of her passing by a phone call or a visit, rather than on FB

I hate facebook, used to like it at the start, but the famous saying 'how to start an argument on fb, post an opinion and wait.', alot of people write things that can be misinterpreted, some things are private, other stuff just shouldnt be on there.. most of the stuff i write is to be taken at face value, and my close friends that know me know how to take it, just for a giggle. but family, unless you have a great family, i found that having my family and inlaws on there they dissect everything i write, assume everything is about them personally, and use it to track my every move. like 'went to visit old mates on the weekend, was great to see the coast again'.... mother calls me 'why the hell did you take your children all the way up the coast just for a day, its too long a trip and irresponsible, - just because she wont drive an hr because its too much effort. and 'had a crap day today and really didnt feel like chatting on the phone for that freakin long - seriously the guy call and thinks he knows me but he doesnt !'.. ' ten minutes later a brother calls me and abuses me because he called me this morning for a chat and now assumes i was talking about him.. - sorry brother in law, i was referring to the telemarketer, scroll down a little and you would have seen that'. And i think the worst is 'well i just got bail, and now have been fingerprinted arrested and been given a records.. never dyeing my hair different to my licence again ---- ten seconds later i get a phone call from every freakin member in my tree absolutely livid about what the hell i did? mind you all my close friends are on fb trying to guess what i got arrested for.. nudity, pashing a cop, flashing to get out of a fine... etc... and trust me noone gave me a chance to explain it was all a computer buggerup !
My advice, dont express an opinion on anything and assume everyone will take it the wrong way or misinterpret it.. one day ill sue fb for the stomach ulcers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back