Facebook....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...but it also shows nothing is sacred or private anymore...everything is just splashed out all over the internet

I hate it. I deleted it for ages, before making a profile as the inevitable truth is your "friends" don't talk too you without it. It's too convenient.

I also constantly delete my wall as I'm so sick of people lurking it, thinking that constitutes a conversation.

It also makes you hate people you like in real life, as they parade about trying to be as insightful or provocative as possible. Or basically being a needy....uhm...less than classy lady.

Last Thursday showed me the prime evil of Facebook,
When before anyone had a chance too call me,
I found out about my beautiful Grandmothers passing by reading it on a status.
Needless too say I lost it.

Om my frekin god ! thats terrible, and it pretty much sums up fb perfectly... i have found out some bad stuff on fb, but never anything like that !

Now that timeline has been introduced, I hate it.
Other than that I think its great, its a perfect way for me to keep in contact with friends in Dubai as I can have instant conversations with them instead of having to send off an email and wait a while for a reply (cause thats so old fashioned ;))

I don't get the people saying they don't like reading peoples crap on their newsfeed. Nobody's forcing you to read it.

Last edited:
I agree...but it also shows nothing is sacred or private anymore...everything is just splashed out all over the internet

Of course I understand.

I hate facebook, used to like it at the start, but the famous saying 'how to start an argument on fb, post an opinion and wait.', alot of people write things that can be misinterpreted, some things are private, other stuff just shouldnt be on there.. most of the stuff i write is to be taken at face value, and my close friends that know me know how to take it, just for a giggle. but family, unless you have a great family, i found that having my family and inlaws on there they dissect everything i write, assume everything is about them personally, and use it to track my every move. like 'went to visit old mates on the weekend, was great to see the coast again'.... mother calls me 'why the hell did you take your children all the way up the coast just for a day, its too long a trip and irresponsible, - just because she wont drive an hr because its too much effort. and 'had a crap day today and really didnt feel like chatting on the phone for that freakin long - seriously the guy call and thinks he knows me but he doesnt !'.. ' ten minutes later a brother calls me and abuses me because he called me this morning for a chat and now assumes i was talking about him.. - sorry brother in law, i was referring to the telemarketer, scroll down a little and you would have seen that'. And i think the worst is 'well i just got bail, and now have been fingerprinted arrested and been given a records.. never dyeing my hair different to my licence again ---- ten seconds later i get a phone call from every freakin member in my tree absolutely livid about what the hell i did? mind you all my close friends are on fb trying to guess what i got arrested for.. nudity, pashing a cop, flashing to get out of a fine... etc... and trust me noone gave me a chance to explain it was all a computer buggerup !
My advice, dont express an opinion on anything and assume everyone will take it the wrong way or misinterpret it.. one day ill sue fb for the stomach ulcers

Both my son and daughter have blocked me from their FB, not because they hate me, but because they want a bit of privacy and I totally understand that. Though my daughter and I are estranged. I've also put a block on my husbands ex wife...not that she's asked to be a friend, and I do like her, but I just don't want her knowing what I'm saying, though her kids may tell her if they want to. When I see her in person we get along well. The family usually gets together at Christmas and Easter and that's when I see her.

Last edited:
my funniest blow out was when my little sister in law said that she couldnt get a dress for her formal so she was havin a cry as all teens do when they cant find a dress..
why? because her big (shesh man they are huge - that aside tho) boobs wouldnt fit them and the shop girl told her most of the mei mei dresses she was trying were made in china so they were made for skinny winny chinese girls who dont have big boobs. direct quote here
so said sister puts this on her status and stuck up cousin who is part chinese gets on and blows her stack
'i am part asian and this steriotype racist slur is disgusting bla bla bla bla'
I get on and post 'people the poor girl is trying to find a nice dress, shes young, doesnt mean anything by her comments and they werent her comments anyway so please be nice and maybe offer her a place to buy a dress so she can fit her 16EE's into and look pretty?' and ps, cousin.. i might point out here that you are a size 6 and just recently got a freakin boob job soo........'
needless to say she, her mother and father and sisters are not speaking to me now and think im a racist and the whole thing has made family get togethers murder.. (just in case cousins tiny frame and massive jugs scantly cad werent torture enough already )

I like Facebook, haven't had any problems with it. I don't befriend annoying people and if someone starts being too stupid you can block them and they disappear :)

A couple of years ago I started talking to a lady on a group I was part of, and we've kept in contact ever since. She lives in San Francisco, and one day we chatted on facebook for 6 hours. You can end up meeting and becoming friends with people you never would have, it can be pretty cool :)

If my family take what I have to say the wrong way I tell them like if is and if they harp on about it I delete them. So far all of them have waited until they got over it and then send me a request to re add them. Plus side is that they are all too chicken to discuss the issue afterwards so it gets swept under the carpet and alls good.

I like Facebook, haven't had any problems with it. I don't befriend annoying people and if someone starts being too stupid you can block them and they disappear :)

A couple of years ago I started talking to a lady on a group I was part of, and we've kept in contact ever since. She lives in San Francisco, and one day we chatted on facebook for 6 hours. You can end up meeting and becoming friends with people you never would have, it can be pretty cool :)

20 years ago I went overseas and one of the place I went to was New Orleans. I'd been writing to a lady (snail mail) there for 15 yrs and they invited us to stay with them for 2 weeks during out trip. Biggest mistake I ever made...though they don't know that....you'd think after 15 yrs of writing to someone you'd have a bit of an idea of what they were like, but we really didn't like these people or New Orleans....after that I slowly dropped the friendship.

Yeah I don't really understand how anyone can be "against it". It's a social networking tool and like any other tool it's as good or as bad as the people using it

I am completely and utterly 800% against facebook. It's bloody awful. I hate it. I have never had an account and never will, for any reason. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned (at the ripe old age of 24), but I hate the way people feel the need to broadcast every intrinsic detail of their lives. WHAT YOU ATE FOR BREAKFAST IS NOT IMPORTANT, AND NO ONE REALLY CARES.
As far as I'm concerned, it's one giant p***ing contest, and I'll have no part of it.
If any of my "old friends" want to contact me, it can't be that hard for them, I've had the same mobile number since I was 15.
And saximus, if I may misquote you:) you're right. It's social networking for tools.

That's all (for now....;)) Rant Over.

Last edited:
I am completely and utterly 800% against facebook. It's bloody awful. I hate it. I have never had an account and never will, for any reason. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned (at the ripe old age of 24), but I hate the way people feel the need to broadcast every intrinsic detail of their lives. WHAT YOU ATE FOR BREAKFAST IS NOT IMPORTANT, AND NO ONE REALLY CARES.
As far as I'm concerned, it's one giant p***ing contest, and I'll have no part of it.
If any of my "old friends" want to contact me, it can't be that hard for them, I've had the same mobile number since I was 15.
And saximus, if I may misquote you:) you're right. It's social networking for tools.

That's all (for now....;)) Rant Over.

Sounds like you have used it before from your rant???

nobody forces anyone to post anything on facebook and its simple to block or clear your wall

but as a communication device and selling tool nothing can beat it
my selling account is quicker and cheaper than ebay and gets instant results
my personal account gets visited every few days to check it but thats it and I rarely put public messages on it

avoid the zynga rubbish and its a very simple tool

What was wrong with them Annie?

I guess the best way to put it is..... they were very racist. New Orleans population is 66% black American...need I say anymore !!

nobody forces anyone to post anything on facebook and its simple to block or clear your wall

but as a communication device and selling tool nothing can beat it
my selling account is quicker and cheaper than ebay and gets instant results
my personal account gets visited every few days to check it but thats it and I rarely put public messages on it

avoid the zynga rubbish and its a very simple tool

what is.... zynga .. ??? I have a lot of stuff to sell...pyrography pictures....and have been thinking about selling them on ebay....how do you sell things on FB ??

I guess the best way to put it is..... they were very racist. New Orleans population is 66% black American...need I say anymore !!

Wow, that's horrible. Guess you really don't know someone until you meet them in their most comfortable place. Had that been me I would have had to have said something, even if I waited until I got home and blasted them through email.

I have mixed feelings about facebook. I love the fact that people can find you and it's so easy to communicate with groups of people - especially at my age when everybody is split between uni, multiple jobs, starting families and traveling. However the thing I probably do the most is blocking and deleting people, even people I've known for years. The problem is, there's that tiny minority of people I know that are awesome in person, but just nasty, trolling, keyboard warriors online. I have fake info on there too, my whole family and I all have different, obviously fake last names so that we have control over who adds us, we have to give our fake names out.
I've also deleted the phone app off my iphone because it was way too distracting and I started spending way too much time being interested in everyone else's lives :( It's the easiest way to keep in touch with everyone though :)

I like FB. Some that I am friends with are friends with ones that I have no desire to have anything to do with, so I block them. I do not want to be friends with nasty people.
I do not want to see anything they write as I have actually graduated from kindergarten. So I am the worst in the world for blocking them.....tough luck!

I like reading stupid/funny things that people say on there. Failbook.com is good for that!

I have mixed feelings about facebook. I love the fact that people can find you and it's so easy to communicate with groups of people - especially at my age when everybody is split between uni, multiple jobs, starting families and traveling. However the thing I probably do the most is blocking and deleting people, even people I've known for years. The problem is, there's that tiny minority of people I know that are awesome in person, but just nasty, trolling, keyboard warriors online. I have fake info on there too, my whole family and I all have different, obviously fake last names so that we have control over who adds us, we have to give our fake names out.
I've also deleted the phone app off my iphone because it was way too distracting and I started spending way too much time being interested in everyone else's lives :( It's the easiest way to keep in touch with everyone though :)

I originally thought of putting up a fake last name, but then I thought...no one would be able to find me... so I used my real name. And of course with women, when you marry you mostly change your surname anyway. I've been married twice, so I've had my maiden name and both married names, but on FB I only use my present married name because we've been together 23 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back