false advertising het jag

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjryan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding when it come to jag and other morphs there is no het
I have seen a lot of reptile for sale as 50% and 100% het for jag
A friend just got a pair of 100% het jag mixed carpet python pay around $900
am i right he will not get jags from that pairing. If people are selling jag sibs as het to make money that is bull. If people are sell sibs as het because they dont know better they should get some education.
please let me know if im misinformed

You are correct. There is no such thing as a jag het. They will just be mixed carpet jag siblings.

The seller might be meaning het for albino jag sibs which makes more sense and is probably the case.
Cheers, Dan

What actually rubs me the wrong way is how some people prey on the innocents of others. I see some of the advertising as just a means to take money from the vulnerable, especially when I see adds for Diamonds with outrageous prices being advertised as things like "sun glow diamonds", other as "northern diamonds" and even common old water pythons as "rainbow serpents". Personally I believe it is taking marketing way too far.

George

I agree with all the above but also beleive in buyer beware. Buyers need to do their homework and not get sucked in by the marketing or mis-naming of morphs. In my opinion anyone interested in buying a snake described as a het for anything should have researched and know right from wrong.

Buyers need to do their homework i would and do agree. But i think it is more some people prey on the innocents of others. Doing your homework only get you so far as sellers can put down any advertising they whan to make the money. I feel the market is slow and has dropped out of alot of reptile so people are doing what they can to get the money and thats wrong. Dan i hear you but in this case there was no albino in the animals they are selling as het jags.

thank you joshua

My name here is "Starter" and that's what I am in reptile keeping, loving and breeding. I have no idea what a "het" could possibly be or what a "jag" could possibly be. A hetero-sexual jaguar? Could you please make your forum contributions a bit more beginner-friendly by using terms which everyone can understand? Then people like me would be able to participate in such a discussion, too, which would be nice. Thanks!

l to agree with what everyone has said in this thread that there is no such thing has het, its all about false or misleading advertising so the seller can make has much money has they can, and the newcomers to the hobby get ripped off and don't know what there really buying cause the seller is not being up front and honest to them.

l hate it when l see ads for all the fancy names for Bearded Dragon's such as, silky or leather or smooth backs as well as het, and for het Olive Python's which l know by just looking closely at the photos, they are only a normal phase Olive Python not het as the ad says.

So if l am ever in the market to buy any more Reptile's now or in the future, l will be very careful who l decide to buy any from and wont be suck in by greedy sellers.

Dragon77, how can u tell its a normal olive and not a het?

Technically all Jags are hets. But as turtle said, het Jag usually means a Jag that is het for albino. Also if they are stating % they are often talking about the % of the subspecies, ie, a 50% Jungle Jag, is a Jag with a pure jungle parent.

Sounds like fraud to me. If you know for a fact that these don't exist, take it to the cops.

Buyers might need to do their homework, but sellers are legally obligated NOT TO MISREPRESENT what they are selling (knowingly or otherwise, I don't think the courts will accept seller ignorance of the facts as a defence especially if the seller has made LOTS of money from the sale as a result).

Sounds like fraud to me. If you know for a fact that these don't exist, take it to the cops.

Buyers might need to do their homework, but sellers are legally obligated NOT TO MISREPRESENT what they are selling (knowingly or otherwise, I don't think the courts will accept seller ignorance of the facts as a defence especially if the seller has made LOTS of money from the sale as a result).

You seem to have a lot of very strong opinions, shame they don't seem to be grounded in reality...

- - - Updated - - -

What actually rubs me the wrong way is how some people prey on the innocents of others. I see some of the advertising as just a means to take money from the vulnerable, especially when I see adds for Diamonds with outrageous prices being advertised as things like "sun glow diamonds", other as "northern diamonds" and even common old water pythons as "rainbow serpents". Personally I believe it is taking marketing way too far.

George

Rainbow Serpent is a very common - and correct - name for any water python. It's the name given to Liasis Fuscus by the Aboriginals, who have been familiar with it for quite a few thousand years before we decided to classify it taxonomicaly and call it a water python.

Last edited:
My name here is "Starter" and that's what I am in reptile keeping, loving and breeding. I have no idea what a "het" could possibly be or what a "jag" could possibly be. A hetero-sexual jaguar? Could you please make your forum contributions a bit more beginner-friendly by using terms which everyone can understand? Then people like me would be able to participate in such a discussion, too, which would be nice. Thanks!

Hey there Starter, there are quite extensive posts within the threads in this forum dealing with "what is a het, what is a jag etc" i think if you need that information you should use the search feature or google it, for everyone to explain what something is for every post made would cause untold complications and arguments as too many people have their own idea's as to what something is or is not. :)................................Ron

Hay Dragon_77 i have 100% het olive and darwins and they looking like a normal olive or darwin it's only when you breed them you get the albino ones.

- - - Updated - - -

I see what is ment by the % of what the jag is (jungle,coastal,bredli and so on) and selling a het for albino but what im talking about is a number of seller and i have spoke to some of them that are selling mix carpet python as het for jag no albino in them. Why are they doing this i ask one breeder and they stated the animal is het because the pair that was bred was a jag to a normal so the clutch is jag and all the mix carpet that look normal are het for jag no albino in them.

Well this sounds to me like a case of somebody breeding who really shouldn't be. If they don't understand the genetics that they're breeding they shouldn't be doing it and then giving wrong info to buyers. Though I still say the buyer should also understand the genetics for the snake they are buying.

- - - Updated - - Rainbow Serpent is a very common - and correct - name for any water python. It's the name given to Liasis Fuscus by the Aboriginals, who have been familiar with it for quite a few thousand years before we decided to classify it taxonomicaly and call it a water python.

The Rainbow Serpent is a mythological deity that the Aboriginals consider to be the giver of life and a destroyer of all things. It was called the Rainbow Snake because of the similarity in the shape a rainbow and the shape of the snake and when a rainbow is seen in the sky it is believed that it is transferring water from one water hole to another. It is associated with the need for water as for all life to exist.

Modern aboriginals identify many species of pythons as the rainbow serpent depending on the part of Australia they inhabit.

Might want to learn about aboriginal history and culture before making such a generalization.

Cheers.

Hay Dragon_77 i have 100% het olive and darwins and they looking like a normal olive or darwin it's only when you breed them you get the albino ones.

- - - Updated - - -

I see what is ment by the % of what the jag is (jungle,coastal,bredli and so on) and selling a het for albino but what im talking about is a number of seller and i have spoke to some of them that are selling mix carpet python as het for jag no albino in them. Why are they doing this i ask one breeder and they stated the animal is het because the pair that was bred was a jag to a normal so the clutch is jag and all the mix carpet that look normal are het for jag no albino in them.

That sounds like of a case of someone who has no idea. Unfortunately the hobby doesn't always attract the smartest of folk. It has been happening for years with "Hets" often sold for polgenic traits and traits that are far from proven. Which is why I'd never trust any Het's for sale unless I personally knew the breeder.

On a side not I was also shown a Jungle Jag for sale in Victoria the other day that was clearly not a Jag at all. Buyer Beware.

The Rainbow Serpent is a mythological deity that the Aboriginals consider to be the giver of life and a destroyer of all things. It was called the Rainbow Snake because of the similarity in the shape a rainbow and the shape of the snake and when a rainbow is seen in the sky it is believed that it is transferring water from one water hole to another. It is associated with the need for water as for all life to exist.

Modern aboriginals identify many species of pythons as the rainbow serpent depending on the part of Australia they inhabit.

Might want to learn about aboriginal history and culture before making such a generalization.

Cheers.

In fairness they do have rainbows like mother-of-pearls. On a sunny day...whoa I think rainbow serpent is a fair description. From my understanding the legend may have been based around this particular python as many of their dream-time stories are based around animals.

My two cents. Cheers

Sarah Jane

Cheers.

Pretty damn up to date with what I know. I'm not wrong.
As you say, its location dependent, where Liasis Fuscus is native to - it's referred to as the rainbow serpent.
My simple point is rainbow serpent is a perfectly valid description for a water python, as opposed to your other examples which I would agree with you on...

Last edited:
The seller might be meaning het for albino jag sibs which makes more sense and is probably the case.
Cheers, Dan

For $900? Thats an expensive pair of hets....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like they don't know what they are talking about...sounding harsh but buy from someone that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back